New
Find
Notify
Tools

10X Burris problem HELP??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just put a 10X burris on my Anshutz in .22. Needed settings for 25,50, 75 and 100 yards. I got the first three and new I was getting close to running out of elevation. I have scopes on several handguns and in a variety of calibers, the only caliber I ever had a problem with was the 30x221 and subsonic loads. I was shooting PMC target all the way through, when I started having problems went to a hyper velocity and several other brands of ammo. Do any of you have any thoughts?? [Frown] [Confused]

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Fireball221>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by jsh:
I just put a 10X burris on my Anshutz in .22. Needed settings for 25,50, 75 and 100 yards. I got the first three and new I was getting close to running out of elevation. I have scopes on several handguns and in a variety of calibers, the only caliber I ever had a problem with was the 30x221 and subsonic loads. I was shooting PMC target all the way through, when I started having problems went to a hyper velocity and several other brands of ammo. Do any of you have any thoughts?? [Frown] [Confused]

I have two 10x on different contenders...I have not had that problem??
Fireball

one of us
posted Hide Post
JSH, Although I have (2) Burris 10X's, I've no personal experience using them in the way that you are. I don't recall the exact #'s, but seems as if the 10X has VERY limited adjustment range. Guess it's possible you've just run out of adjustment range. [Confused] You may need to try shimming the scope base or buying different rings. Might think about Burris Signature rings. Their plastic inserts might get you a little more room for elevation adjustments. Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your problem is as you susopected, there is limited elevation with the scope. I experienced that same with the 3-12 scope.

The solution is to use the signature rings and get the additional signature inserts (about $10 more). When you install the rings, use the inserts from the kit. They are offset. Use the .020 offset for the rear mount, and the + marked insert half goes on the bottom, the - .020 ring half goes on the top.

If you want more elevation you can use the .005 or .010 inserts for the front. Just remember that for the front, you want the - inserts on the bottom for the front mount.

jeff

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, were you using the 3x12 on an Anshutz Exemplar? I looked and did not find any signature rings for the .22 dovetail, and no weaver type base either. Am thinking about trying a red dot on this one. I know there is no XX on most of them but thought maybe a small dot would work?
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Per Burris' latest info....

1.5x-4x - 48" @ 100 yards
2x-7x - 64" @ 100 yards
10x - 30" @ 100 yards
3x-9x - 30" @ 100 yards
3x-12x - 28" @ 100 yards

I have been using a 2x-7x on my 10" 22lr Match and really like it. I have shot some really nice 50 yard groups with that scope.....
 -

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsh:
Jeff, were you using the 3x12 on an Anshutz Exemplar? I looked and did not find any signature rings for the .22 dovetail, and no weaver type base either. Am thinking about trying a red dot on this one. I know there is no XX on most of them but thought maybe a small dot would work?
Jeff

jsh, Weaver makes an adapter for "tip off" rails so you can then attach standard cross slot rings (like Burris "Z") to your 22lr.

I believe that Midway, Cabela's and a few others carry this adapter...... [Wink]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeff

My 3-12 Burris is mounted on a TC 15" barrel.

retired jeff

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guy's, is it the Sinature Zee rings that I need for the Weaver style base? I get more knowledgable help here than on the other end of the phone. Thanks for the help.
Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are correct.

for confirmation see the Burris url

http://www.burrisoptics.com/solidrings.html

retired jeff

<Fireball221>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by retired jeff:
Your problem is as you susopected, there is limited elevation with the scope. I experienced that same with the 3-12 scope.

The solution is to use the signature rings and get the additional signature inserts (about $10 more). When you install the rings, use the inserts from the kit. They are offset. Use the .020 offset for the rear mount, and the + marked insert half goes on the bottom, the - .020 ring half goes on the top.

If you want more elevation you can use the .005 or .010 inserts for the front. Just remember that for the front, you want the - inserts on the bottom for the front mount.

jeff

Can the Burris Inserts be used with other types of rings??

Fireball
[Razz]

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fireball221:
[QUOTE]Can the Burris Inserts be used with other types of rings??

Fireball
[Razz]

None that i am aware of.... [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,mssmagnum, I called D&R they told me that this base needed to be drilled and tapped? Yhe fellow that I talked to gave me several minutes of a how to speach. He seemed very knowledgable but by the time I bought and tried every ring type to see which would give me enough elevation, or mill the rings a little I wiuld have to work till iwas past retirement age and to old a shakey to know if it really made any difference. He had some good idea's but put in to much of the salesman pitch, if you know what I mean.
If you have an actual base that clamps to the .22 dovetail and goes to the Weaver type base, could yo get me a model #.
Thanks Jeff
PS does any one know of a base that will fit an Anshutz Exemplar?

one of us
posted Hide Post
jsh

Unless I'm missing something, I believe that you are looking for rings that will fit a 22 dovetail on the Anschutz.

If that is a 'standard' 22 dovetail, then why wouldn't the Burris signature work? The Burris site shows Signature .22 Rimfire and AirGun Rings,

Black p/n 420555 or Matte p/n 420556 High Rings for (Rimfire/Airgun)

I believe that with those rings and the Pos-Align Offset Insert Kit your problem would be solved.

Then again, I could be brain dead and just don't understand the problem.

retired jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeff for the part#. I will look again. I had a Burris catalog and must have pitched it as I can't find it.
Ever get the feeling that you are talking to your self?? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff
Sometimes it helps, but only if we listen.

Incidently, the trick with the Signature rings was something that I learned from a link on http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/forums/

Having upgrading from a Burris 4x Plex to the Burris 3-12x I was hitting over 12" low at a 100 yards with maximun elevation cranked on the scope. That was with 100 grain Sierra's @ 2450 fps from a 7-30 improved. The 145 grain slugs either keyholed all over or missed the target completely. Good thing I was alone, as there was plenty of talking going on. Anyhow, the problem was identified with a solution by Mr Graybeard himself. I validated the theory by shimming the rear base .020" and range testing. Afterwards, I ordered the rings and shim kit. My installation uses the +.020 in the rear and the -.010 for the front ring. Now there is an overall .030" offset.

Works great!

being retired lets you do every thing that you wanted to but couldn't because you had to work. Unfortunately, you have to figure how to do it with less because of the pay cut.

regards

retired jeff

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

The adapter base that i am talking (typing) about mounts to a standard 3/8" dovetail and then you can mount a standard cross slot (Weaver style) ring to the top of it. I believe that this is the one you need, 48202 TO-10* to convert 3/8" receiver to 7/8" QD. It is listed on the Weaver site but no pic. http://www.weaveroptics.com/ You can contact them at 800-635-7656 or http://www.weaveroptics.com/questions/ask.html . Hope this helps!! [Wink]

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Jeff, I FOUND IT!! LOL! This is a one piece base as opposed to the 2 piece bases that i have seen before but should work fine for you application. http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/applications/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=292388

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I called D&R and Mid South. They both told me that this still required a drill and tap job?
I hated to order the .22 Signature rings as I won't be able to use them on anything else, and I hate them to begin with. I have never had the Burris type 3/8 dovetail rings, so I might change my mind.
Who ever came up with that type of mount for a .22 scope mount is a $#@@%^&%!#$$$. There I have vented that maybe these will live up to the Burris name. I'll let ya know. Thanks for the help guy's. Y'all cost me another $70, you know I couldn't just order a set of rings and inserts.
[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Jeff