New
Find
Notify
Tools

44mag to 445super mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was just wondering. With the way TC cuts the long chamber in there 44mags, can a 445 supermag be fired in it without rechambering? Has anyone tried this? I don't have any 445 brass cases to see if the'll fit the chamber with a bullet seated but after checking dimensions of a fired 44mag case it should fit fine. Anyone know for sure?

[ 07-05-2003, 14:51: Message edited by: Jules ]

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jules, Mine wont. But there does seem to be enough room for a so called 44 Mag Long. I trimmed down a 445SM case untill it fit into my chamber. The case was .080" longer tham the 44Mag case. I have not gone any further with it. Do a search for 44 Mag Long and you will see the post about it. I dont know if it would work or not.

Posts: 210 | Location: Smithfield, NC, USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
Julius,

I'd just go for the rechambering job and get a GOOD, proportioned, throat and use the full up 445's.

Now hurry up and get the work done because I am waiting. [Big Grin]

I'll send you a couple Super cases if you want to experiment.

Regards

[ 07-05-2003, 20:18: Message edited by: Headstamp ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Save the cases Ray.
I think i'm gonna leave it as is for now LH. But will be putting that one on my list for my next rechamber [Wink] Gonna be a hand full in an 8" bbl though [Big Grin]

[ 07-05-2003, 22:31: Message edited by: Jules ]

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jules your gonna rechamber that sweet little 8" 44 damn what a shame. Well keep us updated on the Sweet little 445 hehehe

Posts: 74 | Location: Jacksonville NC | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
<UMB>
posted
Hey Jules, Mr Belllm did my 15" 44Mag to 445SMag and it is impressive. I did send it back to have a brake cut into it because of the muzzle flip. Definately one of my favorite Encore barrels to hunt with.

<Headstamp>
posted
Jules,

I think you're better off leaving that one a 44 in that length.

Minimum for me with the 445 would be ten inches of usable barrel length. (12" Hunter)

I've got an 8" 44 Mag unbraked and that's all I would want at this length.

For added thrills, see if you can get some of the 405gr. cast bullets to run through it instead. [Big Grin]

Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
I may leave it Ray. But i'm not waiting on anything and I feel I need to spending money on something [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I think ya need to git youself a 10"er and do that one up Jules. That 8"er is just too cool as it is!! [Wink]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
You have to shut down that printing press in your basement for a while. [Big Grin]

Say, does anybody know if OTT cuts brakes in barrels? Have an e-mail in to him about it.

Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jules,

I had the same problem you are mentioning, only it was with a Super 14” barrel. The chamber in my 44 Magnum was so long that I only trimmed “very little” from a 445 SM case and it would chamber. I DID NOT EVER RELOAD ONE OF THEM AND SHOOT IT THOUGH!!!

I did have it rechambered to the 445 SM and the accuracy did improve somewhat. It still never became a M.O.A. shooter, and recoil is very noticeable with 315 grain cast bullets as well as other bullet weights! Cases are expensive and I found case life to be � dozen reloadings. I then was getting case head separation. There appears to be a head space problem with the barrel. Even the light loads for the 445 SM were separating. I actually shoot 44 Magnum rounds in it now with better accuracy than the original 44 Magnum chamber…Go figure!!!

I would let it a 44 Magnum and make every effort to get a load that will shoot acceptable. That may be a heavy long ugly bullet at slow velocity, but you still will be able to hit targets at 100+ yards and make the barrel useful. Good-luck…BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote