Find
Notify
Tools

209x50 Encore in PA......PartII
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jffrybrght
posted
If you remember my story from October relating my experience with my Encore in the field, here now is Part II:I had real confidence with the Encore, and since I hunt in Chester Co., hunters can only use slug guns or muzzleloaders. Opening day, I saw quite a few deer, including 3 bucks, but no shots could be taken. Around 2pm I saw 5 does walk single file out of the thicket and into the clearing. Zeroed on the biggest one and fired. An 80 yd. shot, straight thru both lungs. She ran 40 yards and fell. Tracking was difficult, but from all the disturbed leaves I was led right to her. I hunted the same property all week and always saw deer, just no safe shots could be taken, until Sat. morning. Around 9am, Isaw a deer running from behind me into the thicket my stand was overlooking. Rather than run straight thru and away from me, it turned left and started trotting up thru the middle of the thicket. I could see it had horns, but I needed to stop the deer first. I brought the Encore up and steadied it on the tree I stood behind, got the deer in the scope, grunted it it just stopped and looked right up at me. I fired (90 yd. shot), and as the smoke cleared, I could see the deer walk away and some 30 yds. later I saw him drop. Straight thru both lungs and heart, but did not exit. Blood everywhere. The best part: I knew it was a buck, but did not know what was in store until I got up to him. 10points,grey face, very heavy. The butcher shop aged him at 5 1/2 years and dressed out at 187 lbs. That makes 4 deer for the Encore and I still have 2 more doe tags for the late season!!!! Indeed, this is a year to remember. If i can have the picture put on disk, I'll try and post it. Thanks for reading, Jeff

Posts: 411 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff
Enjoyed your post, and congratulations on a fine season. What bullet are you using? I would think you would get complete pass through on a deer at 90 yds.
Greg

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote