New
Find
Notify
Tools

A SAD DAY FOR SHOOTERS ALL OVER THE WORLD
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In april of this year Dean A Grennell passed quietly in his home in CA. An editor and gunwriter his writtings on the Contender were always accurate and informative. He even owned one of the raresd of the rare in contender barrels A 10" bull barrel in 45 AR. Made personally for him by his good friend Warren Center.
Which brings us to the second half of our bad news this month Warren Center has also passed. The designer and inventer of our favorite firearm his vision and desire for a gun to hunt varmits has given us all a gun whos verstility has no boundries and has literally taken every species of game on this earth. He will be greatly missed.
May both gentlemen rest in peace they never will be forgotton.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim_L: Thanks for sharing this information. I have only been shooting T/C Contenders for about the last ten years. Wished I would have started sooner.

People like Warren Center, Dean A Grennell, Steve Herrett and Bob Milek will be dearly missed. It's getting harder and harder to find good information on the contributions these fine gentlemen made to the shooting industry.

I wish Handloader Magazine or Shooting Times would do a reprint on all the articles written by or about these gentlemen. Maybe a little history could revive some of the spark that started us all shooting single shot pistols.

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fortunelately Dean grennells efforts are easier to fine he wrote a number of digest books for KBI now krouser which are usually easy to find in book stores and the older ones at gun ahows. He wrote "The Handbook of Histols & Hevolvers" for 3 editions. "The ABC's of Reloading" a real classic. "The Digest of the 45" and a few more I can't remember just now(I have all of them) Also any copies of Gun world from befour 95 has a lot of his stuff which is all quite good. He wrote a lot about contenders and was a consumeate shooter and reloader but rarely hunted. His favorite target was the good ol tin can. He was a great man and will be missed greatly. I met him once in 1982 and henwas a friendly man greeting one of his many fans when he truely knew none of us personally. It was a great honor to meet him.

Jim L