New
Find
Notify
Tools

Encore See Thru Rings
 Login/Join

<Dalton>
posted
Does anyone make a set of see thru rings to fit the Encore frame?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Dalton,

Not quite sure what you're asking? On the Encore, the scope base and rings are mounted on the barrel, not the receiver. Plus, on most barrels, you must remove the rear sight to mount the scope - you can't have both.

The only exception that I'm aware of is the 209X50 Muzzleloader Rifle barrel. The rear sight is mounted forward of the scope mounting area. I have see-thru rings mounted on a T/C weaver-style rail on my 209X50 barrel, but it still interferes somewhat with the open sights.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know of any see thru rings that I would trust to be high quality.Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Dalton>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bill M:
Hello Dalton,

Not quite sure what you're asking? On the Encore, the scope base and rings are mounted on the barrel, not the receiver. Plus, on most barrels, you must remove the rear sight to mount the scope - you can't have both.

The only exception that I'm aware of is the 209X50 Muzzleloader Rifle barrel. The rear sight is mounted forward of the scope mounting area. I have see-thru rings mounted on a T/C weaver-style rail on my 209X50 barrel, but it still interferes somewhat with the open sights.

Hope this helps,

Bill

That is kind of what I want to do. I would like to have my barrel drilled and tapped for iron sights farther down the barrel and use a see thru rings and a scope toward the breech end. Don't know if it would work. We have some shoots at my club that are open sights only and others that permit scopes. It would be nice to just slip covers over my scope and use the open sights when I have to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Dalton,

Makes more sense now! I am not aware of any see-thru mounts that screw directly on an Encore barrel, but you may be able find something close and modify them. As I said, using the T/C Weaver rail and Weaver see-thru rings did interfere with the open sight picture on my 209X50 - I could see the "U" on the rear sight and just the tops of the fiber optics. Your rear sight will be on a tapered portion of the barrel if using a factory contour?

What about a "back-up" peep sight that attaches to a weaver rail, such as those made by (formerly) Ashley Outdoors? You could remove the scope and replace with the rear sight, if the front sight was tall enough.

I am thinking about cutting a 3/16" dovetail in the Weaver rail just forward of the rear ring, and installing a Williams open sight insert in it for an iron sight "back-up". Would not be fully adjustable, but should be serviceable. I've also seen flip-up sight blades built into Weaver mounts, but not for the Encore [Frown] .

Where, and what kind of matches are you planning on shooting? I didn't know that there were any close to us. I think Higginsville, MO is the closest place holding IHMSA matches, and there are NRA handgun Silhouette matches in Columbia.

If I think of any other options, I'll let you know.

Best regards, Bill

<Dalton>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bill M:
Hello Dalton,

Makes more sense now! I am not aware of any see-thru mounts that screw directly on an Encore barrel, but you may be able find something close and modify them. As I said, using the T/C Weaver rail and Weaver see-thru rings did interfere with the open sight picture on my 209X50 - I could see the "U" on the rear sight and just the tops of the fiber optics. Your rear sight will be on a tapered portion of the barrel if using a factory contour?

What about a "back-up" peep sight that attaches to a weaver rail, such as those made by (formerly) Ashley Outdoors? You could remove the scope and replace with the rear sight, if the front sight was tall enough.

I am thinking about cutting a 3/16" dovetail in the Weaver rail just forward of the rear ring, and installing a Williams open sight insert in it for an iron sight "back-up". Would not be fully adjustable, but should be serviceable. I've also seen flip-up sight blades built into Weaver mounts, but not for the Encore [Frown] .

Where, and what kind of matches are you planning on shooting? I didn't know that there were any close to us. I think Higginsville, MO is the closest place holding IHMSA matches, and there are NRA handgun Silhouette matches in Columbia.

If I think of any other options, I'll let you know.

Best regards, Bill

Bill,

I am only shooting at club shoots. I belong to Bullseye Rod and Gun club in Desoto.

David

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Dalton,

I found some. Go to www.natchezss.com , put in item # IR342, and choose your finish. They don't have a photo on the webpage, but there is one in their mail order catalog. They are the kind that screw directly onto the top of the barrel and have integral scope rings.

Hope this helps,

Bill