New
Find
Notify
Tools

What power of scope for competition?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was just wondering what power of scopes most of you use and/or would recommend for competitive shooting. All I have ever done is dink & plink around our short 100 yd ranges for my own entertainment and have found that for the most part a fixed 4 power has served me adequatly. At a recent gun show I picked up a used T/C 2X7 reasonably priced for my .308 Bellm and was impressed by the added magnification. I thought someday I might actually make time and try to find a shoot to go to just to see what it is all about. If I do, I don't want to get laughed off the range for my puny equipment (guns & scopes) [Wink] Also, what would it take for something like a Bower Long Range seminar?? Thanks, Mike

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas, USA | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sean VHA #60013
posted Hide Post
Mike,

In handgun scopes, I can only recommend either the Burris 10x or Burris 3-12X for serious long range shooting. This is because both have an adjustable parallax, and enable you to "tune" the scope�s objective lens and allow it to be uninhibited by parallax at a desired range.

The distance term known as �parallax� is familiar to most people from its terrestrial applications, such as in surveying. There it is usually called "triangulation".

It is hard to imagine our everyday experience without thinking of situations that involve parallax. The way that objects in our environment change their angular positions when we change our observation point is an integral part of our experience of the three-dimensional world. It is here that Parallax is most noticeable.

If a scope has excessive parallax, it is easily tested for. Place your scope on a solid surface such as a table top, and look through it at a fixed target, and move your head slightly. If the scope has excessive parallax, you will notice that the crosshairs "move around" on your target as you move your eye position relative to the ocular lens. The scope is at best not optically set for that given distance, and at worst not optically set for ANY given distance.

Once you find the optimal parallax distance range (usually a 20-30yard span where a scope is parallax free) where the crosshairs do not appear to move around during this test, that is the distance at which the scope is set to be parallax free (Some scopes, due to maker intolerances, have no parallax "sweet spot") then you know where your most likely to see the best potential accuracy from the scope. Most fixed objective handgun scopes are �said� to be set at 100 yards, and so are likely NOT parallax free at 200-500 yards.

With a parallax adjustable objective, you can substantially increase this "sweet spot" range by tuning the scope for a given desired distance.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 830 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, The TC scope should work ok for you up to about 5X in a prone position. I start having eyerelief problems much over that with my TC scope. The B&L lets me go to 6X but I have to tighten up my posititon, and then I start fighting everything and it is down hill from there. Ken light is making a rear extension for the TC's, I put one on my 6 TCU with the 7X PA Burris. This is a long scope to begin with and the OAL on the gun, scope combo is 24 7/8". IHMSA rules OAL 25".
Believe me when I say a scope doesn't take all the misses out of a gun. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
But if you got into it "right" you can always trade up. At the moment I am so optic poor it is not funny. The 7X is almost to much of a good thing, so I found a 5X with PA and the target turrets that I am going to try. The only down fall is the objective lens is I believe 20 mm rather than the larger 30-32 and I am worried about light problems.
And as far as being laughed at, I would say that would never happen. I try and keep my rigs multi purpose and so do a lot of other people. I have to warn you once you hit a steel target and here "pang" and it falls over you will be hooked!
Bret K will probably chim in here as he shoots a few scope guns I believe. I think he is holding the Kansas unlimited field pistol record now??
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I guess now I really should post something since I've been mentioned by name! I do shoot a lot of scoped guns, but my usage is for a very specialized application (IHMSA silhouettes). I'm a huge proponent for rifle scopes on pistols as well. Granted, this requires some special equipment and downloading of cartridges as well to prevent getting smacked by a scope 4" from your face! A general rule of mine is "power, power, power". Currently the lowest power I shoot in silhouettes is a Weaver KT-15 and I've already purchased a 20x scope to replace it in a few months. I find that I really have to see those targets through at least 20x and preferrably 24x.

First, you mentioned the Bower clinic which will mean high stepping cartridges and long ranges. I've read here that some guys are shooting XP's chambered in 6.5-.284 with rifle scopes, but I've never tried it and I don't know how they do it. I would probably opt for Burris' 3-12x as that offers the most power for a long eye relief scope...not to mention the added benefit of the adjustable objective.

If you get hooked on silhouettes then we can discuss a whole different realm of scopes. I don't know of many others around here that like to shoot the high magnification scope. However, if you talk to a lot of the top shooters in the country I think they will tell you that magnification helps you knock down more targets.

I suppose that's about all the info I have for now. If you ever want to try the silhouette game then drop me a line and I'm sure that we'll be able to get you set up. My email is bkoesser@hotmail.com

Once you try it will be in your blood!

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I really like the Burris 10x that is on my XP-100. I use it mainly off the bench and off a bipod in the field. Eye relief is a little short at 9-12" but it is workable with the 22-250. My first pick would probably be a Burris 3x-12x if i was going to use a gun for general purpose and target too.....

just my $.02....

-

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote