New
Find
Notify
Tools

reamer/lapping kit vs. Burris signature rings
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What exactly is the cheaper route here? Do I buy a reamer or lapping kit, or just buy a set of Burris Signature ring with the inserts and be done with it. The only problem I see is I would then have to buy the Burris rings for all of my rifles, which might get pricey, but I don't exactly know how to use the reamer of lapping kit. Someone please help.
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Burris Signature rings are the best way to go, imho.

For cheap, go down to the local steel supplier and have 'em whack off about 12 to 15" of 1" cold rolled steel. Depending on the rings, you may need to have about .010 to .020" turned off the bar.

You can drill and tap it at the ends for handles or just use the plain bar.

Get a small can of valve grinding compound.... about 220 to 320 grit..... and knock yourself out.

The problem I see with lapping is that you do not keep the holes round.

Reaming, on the other hand does keep the holes round.

Spiral 1" reamers are about $45 & up. Last I saw, the Clymer reamer was about $85.

For no more than the Burris rings cost, the windage and elevation correction capabilities they offer, and the protection of the scope's finish..... then considering the time and work it takes to either lap or ream rings..... the Burris Signature rings are one heckuva value.

My advice.... avoid both reaming and lapping if you can, but if you must, then ream.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bought two pairs of Burris Signature Z rings with the understanding they eliminate stress on the scope when mounted. The inside of the rings had a substantial amount of oil on them when I took them out of the package. I'm assuming I need to remove this before mounting them. Correct?
Greg

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I used to lap all my scope rings but quickly found out that if I liked moving my scopes around as I bought and traded rifles and scopes that I quickly developed problems as I moved rings around too......

I went to the Burris Zee Signature rings on all my rifles and Contender barrels a couple of years ago and have never regretted it.

Yep.... It's expensive but then so are my scopes and if I want to sell one people are so impressed that they can't detect ANY ring marks on scopes that have sometimes been on several rifles....

They work quite well and are well worth the investment.

Also.... Strongly consider getting several sets of the offset rings and learn to use them....

You can keep your scopes in the center of their adjustment range that way and they'll work much better and you'll end up with way less warrantee service.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote