New
Find
Notify
Tools

Method for annealing brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Occasionally we have some questions about methods for annealing brass cases. Since I have recently gotten a digital camera and have worked out an annealing method that works quite well, I thought I'd post it here.

The first step is to take a 3" piece of aluminum or brass rod .210" diameter. A piece of an old cleaning rod works just fine. One end at .210" dia. will just fit into a large rifle primer pocket. Turn the other end of the rod to .175" diameter so it will just fit into a small rifle primer pocket. See in the picture below - chuck one end of the rod in a cordless screwdriver set in a stand, then the case to be annealed will sit on top of the rod (with primer pocket on the end of the rod) as it extends up through the stand. The other piece of the unit is a cut-off plastic jug filled half full of water.

The next step is to make a heat sink. Here I have used a 5/8" thick piece of aluminum with a tapered hole that will sit down on top of the brass case and come down to just below the shoulder/neck juncture.

Now heat the case neck/shoulder to the desired temperature. With a glove on your left hand pick up the case with heat sink, place it over the hole to the left over the water jug and with the gloved hand, pop the case loose so it falls into the water. You will be able to do 4 or 5 or 6 before you have to cool the heat sink.

The way to decide how hot to get it is to use a Tempilstik which is a heat-sensitive crayon and can be found at a shop that has welding supplies. I have one that changes color at 700 deg F. Practice on some old brass until you see how long it takes and what the color appearance is when the Templistick mark changes color. Then you won't have to use it for production annealing.

About the heat sink, if making one of brass or aluminum is a problem, I haven't done it but I have heard that using a 1/2" thick slice of a potato with a hole punched through it so it can be pushed on the case to just below the shoulder will also work just fine.

When I get it set up, I can do about 50 cases an hour. Hope it works for you.

Don Shearer

-

Posts: 223 | Location: Centennial, CO USA | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Don
That is a really good looking set up. Doesn't look to expensive to do either. Man I tell you If I have ever got that neat & organized I think the world would be comming to an end! [Big Grin] [Cool]
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Last brass I did (17 AB's) was done much the same... I used a correct sized socket from a socket wrench set in a cordless drill. Socket worked to shield the case below the shoulder, and act as a heatsink. I think next time I'll try theheavy impact sockets for a bit better heatsink.

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Varmints Al's method and it works great. I use a dowel rod sanded down to fit the primer pockets and use the cordless drill.

http://www.cctrap.com/~varmint/arelo.htm#Anneal

Posts: 104 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote