New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help getting my contender running again
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The Hammer spring broke on my contender and I made the mistake of taking it apart. Does anyone know where I can find a diagram of the reciever so I can get everything back together?

And where is the best place to get a new spring? I usually use Numrich for all of my surplus rifles, but if there is a better place for Contender stuff I'd love to know.

And lastly, does anyone have any pet loads for their .357mag 10'' barrels they'd like to share?
I usually load a 148 gr WC with 4.2gr of Red Dot for my snubbies, and I loaded some 158 gr SWC with 4.9gr of Red Dot to try today in the contender, but it died before I could try them. I'm looking for accuracy over power.

Posts: 29 | Location: Del City Okla | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Give this a try. http://1cox.com/images/PL2%20pg%202.jpg
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John

Call Thompson Center and they should send one to you free of charge.

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
Put the frame and all the pieces in a box and send it back to T/C. I sent one in last month for a hammer upgrade and got it back 10 days after I sent it. The only cost was the UPS to send it. They paid the return shipping. You can call T/C to verify this info.

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Get in contact with Ed's Contenders in OKC. I believe he is a factory rep now. Do know he went for a week at TC factory training.

one of us
Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Just ordered two hammer springs from TC. Got them in five days, free of charge. Call them, tell what you need and it will be on the way. Getting the springs will be the easy part. On the hammer spring, you need a slave pin to place in the hammer pivot hole and this also holds the spring in place, while guiding the hammer into the frame and lining up the hammer pivot hole with the hole in the frame. Them you push the hammer retaining pin through the frame, pushing the slave pin out of the hammer and out of the frame. I have done this many time on the old single shot shotguns and on some contenders. Give me a shout if you have any trouble, I might be able to help. [Smile]
Mike
Norman, OK

[ 06-09-2003, 08:17: Message edited by: McClura ]

Posts: 311 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just sent the frame back to T/C. They'll fix the hammer spring and go thru the frame to make sure everything is okiedokie. And all for nothing. Nice group of folks.

Posts: 29 | Location: Del City Okla | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote