Find
Notify
Tools

need help on how to shoot Striker
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Good day
I have just recently aquired my first Savage Striker and am having trouble shooting it accurately. I know I need some trigger work done but a few things have me confused. First, if I shoot with my brake off instead of on I get better groups. How does that work? next.If I shoot off the bench with the forend on a shooting bag and a shooting bag under the grip for a rock steady rest my groups are worse than if I lay on the ground with my bi-pod and my hand under the grip? Does the bag under the grip affect the point of impact?? I know I have to find a load it likes and so far I have only shoy one box of factories and a box of reloads but these two factors confused me.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I have 4 Strikers and I usually shoot them from the bench using a bipod with a sandbag under the rear grip. I'm using 3-12 Burris scopes and group under 1" with all of them, after I found the right load. What cartridge is your's chambered for?

nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is chambered in .243. I have only shot a box of factories and one box of handloads so far with about the same results. I know I'll have to work up a load for it but I couldn't figure out why my groups were so much bigger using the brake and why the groups were better using my bi-pod as opposed to using the bags on the bench. The load I tried was using 55 grs Nosler balstic tips. As a friend of mine noted I probably will have to use a heavier bullet. A guy named DEC replied to one of my previous posts saying he used 58 gr bullets successfuly and that appealed to me because I want a varmint load and a deer load. But first I'll have top learn to shoot this thing.LOL
Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

If you are going to hunt using the bi-pod, then I would develop your loads using the bi-pod and never look back. Some thing you might try is to place the sand bags under your wrist and forearm and not under the grip. Often, vertical stringing is associated with the grip being inter feared with during recoil.

You might also try resting your head on your shoulder to keep it more steady. It works something like a rifle stock does to align the shooter's eye behind the scope.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote