New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illinois handgun hunting rule changes -action needed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Proposed rule 650 will allow you to carry and use a hadgun during any other firearm season. However it changes the legal cartridges to straight-wall only. Just talked to the folks in Springfield. The intent was to make the rule more liberal on what caliber you wanted to use, and get rid of black-powder handguns. I asked him if the "straight-wall" requirement would apply during January handgun season, he said that was not the intention and people were working on amended legislation allowing bottle-necks less than 1.4". He said he'd had lots of calls from folks shooting 300 whisper and 30 Bellm. He said the best thing I could do to make sure the amended legislation gets approved is send a written request to Jonathan Furr. The link to the proposed rule 650 which lists the address to send comments to is http://dnr.state.il.us/legal/650-Proposed.htm
Was told to make sure I said I was commenting on proposed rule 650, comments are accepted for 45 days, but I don't know what day they started, so sooner is better. Lets keep the rules as liberal as possible, if you hunt in Illinois pen a letter quickly.
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 83 | Location: Mascoutah, IL | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just received this letter from the IL DNR:

Thank you for your comments about the proposed rules for the use of handguns during the firearm deer season. We concur that the 300 Whisper would be a suitable gun for use during the firearm deer season, and it has been allowed previously during the handgun deer season. We will incorporate new language into the proposed rule that allows the use of bottleneck cartridges of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding 1.4 inches, so long as they generate >500 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle. This will allow the use of any bottleneck cartridges previously allowed during the handgun season, including the 300 Whisper.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment on the rule.

Sincerely,

John Buhnerkempe, Chief
Division of Wildlife Resources

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
score one for the good guys!
Bill

Posts: 83 | Location: Mascoutah, IL | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote