New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol Scope Advice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am getting a .17mach4 barrel for my contender. I have read in the past about people using regular rifle scopes for calibers that small. What are the advantages of using a regular rifle scope vs. a Long Eye Relief pistol scope? What do you prefer?

Posts: 53 | Location: International Falls,MN | Registered: 11 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
How close do you want the scope to your face? Rifle scopes have about 3" to 4" of eye relief.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WELCOME TO THE BOARD!
I use a Simmons Aetec 3.8X12 on my 22LR Match for Silhouette shooting and love it. Eye relief is fine for low recoil as it has 4-5" of usable relief.
I have just gotten a 4X Simmons shotgun scope to use and it has 5-6" of relief. This one went on my Daughters Ruger Mark II that she shots in competition.
I find that holding the top of the scope with the left hand helps to stabilize the pistol while holding it close in.
I just picked up a 22 Hornet barrel to use in Hunter Pistol Matches and will put a rifle scope on it.
I do recommend that if you go this way get one that has the adjustable objective for the various distances you may be shooting.
It makes a big difference when looking at targets closer than 100 yards or what ever distance the scope is set at from the factory. Chickens at 25 meters are a lot different than Rams at 100 meters.
Try a lower cost rifle scope out or just use one you've got laying around and you may get hooked.
Just my 2 cents.
Enjoy the Contender [Wink]

Posts: 140 | Location: MEMPHIS, TN USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
The only advantage to rifle scopes on handguns, IMHO, is the ability to have 20x+ power. I will be trying out my first Burris 3-12 EER later this month (I HOPE!) once the barrel arrives fron Van Horn. This barrel may also get the "rifle scope" treatment in the future.....

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I too am hoping to get a Burris 3-12 for the 308 Bellm. The Ballistic Plex looks like the way to go but I want to hold one and do a look see before I drop that kind of cash.
Have you found any deals on them Yet?

Yes there are some calibers I WILL NOT use a rifle scope on! I understand that many of the IHMSA shooters use the Ken Light mount system in Unlimited Standing and the way it is set up-
5-7 inches above the barrel the pistol recoils down and away,,,have not seen it in action but heres the web site:

http://www.kenlightmfg.com/products.html

Some of the current IHMSA shooters can give more info on the effect the high mount has. I shoot with several who use the Hunter Pistol mount and it looks like a great set up.
I guess that make 4 cents on this thread for me.
KENTX

Posts: 140 | Location: MEMPHIS, TN USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KENTX:
Mike,
I too am hoping to get a Burris 3-12 for the 308 Bellm. The Ballistic Plex looks like the way to go but I want to hold one and do a look see before I drop that kind of cash.
Have you found any deals on them Yet?

I actually picked mine up from Midway....they were having some kind of sale on this model at the time..... You could check with Paul (Quartermiler) as he mentioned that he could obtain them for a good price.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice! I have been leening toward the Burris 3-12 EER. A little on the spendy side but may be worth it.

Posts: 53 | Location: International Falls,MN | Registered: 11 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quinn McCarthy:
Thanks for the advice! I have been leening toward the Burris 3-12 EER. A little on the spendy side but may be worth it.

I believe that it will be well worth it! I have yet to mount mine but just lookin through it and comparing the clarity and eye relief....i am impressed.

one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
i've got 3 burris 3x12 scopes. on a 6br and 7-08 encore, and also a 6tcu contender. they are super. i just mounted a simmons 4x12 rifle scope on my .223 contender to see if i would like that kind of setup. i havn't shot it yet, but just pointing it looks pretty good. i rest my left elbow against my side and it seems pretty steady. been a while since i've shot .223 a class cartridge in a pistol. i'm hopin the recoil will let me shoot it this way. this just may work. anyone else tried it? [Cool]

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
<rg1>
posted
Just bought a 3x12 Burris balistic-plex reticle. Haven't shot the XP100R .223 (nib) yet but I like the scope. Try SWFA.COM and BEARBASIN.COM for scopes. They usually have very competitve prices and I've bought from each with good results.

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KYODE:
........anyone else tried it? [Cool]

Well, the scope hitting my Protective Optics shooting glasses cracked them! [Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kentx,
I have the 3-12 scopes and all of them have the Ballistic Plex on them. I really like them.
xphunter

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
cracked your shooting glasses [Eek!] what caliber was you shootin? surely not .223?

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote