New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 BR in a Contender
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think this has been covered before. This one is right out of the TC custom shop, not Foxridge, or so he says. I was just wondering if any one else has seen these floating around.
BTW, it has some type of warning such as , use only factory ammo, or somthing to that effect.
This is from a reliable source as well, have traded and bought a lot of TC stuff from this fellow over the years.
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
JSH -

I've got a friend who has one - everyone has their opinion on TC Custom Shop quality, but his is an absolute 'tack-driver'

With 380 posts, I imagine you've already checked, but have you tried doing the "Search" on this page?

Good luck

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Jeff-
I've seen a rechamber before but never one from the TC Custom Shop. You can keep the loads light and be OK, but then if you choose to sell it, you may have a heck of a time finding any interest. It's just not a good idea for the Contender, in my opinion. Hornady claims to develop their 7 BR data in a Contender barrel and show loads that must run in the 48-49000 cup range -- definitely way too hot. But with all the errors in the new Hornady manual, I wouldn't be surprised if they meant "Encore" and never caught the mistake.

My advice: stay away from it...

Posts: 9337 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
erict, dunno about the custom shop stuff, I am still up in the air about them. I have seen good and bad. To the tack driver part, I think for the most part if you work with a barrel enough and find what it likes the rest is self explanitory. I have a factory 7 TCU that shoots excellent. Matter of fact it kind of scares me to even think how a "correctly" chambered or crowned barrel would shoot [Wink] . I have seen a few barrels in this part of the country with some pretty iffy chamberings in the last year or so. A couple of 6 PPC's, one of them with relly light loads and it was still a little sticky. [Eek!] But also have heard about on in 30 BR that a fellow tells me shot just as good as your buds 7 BR

Bobby, where ya been?? [Razz] Last I saw of you looked like you were cleaning off the bench or somthing [Razz] . I sure figured we would have seen some more hog pics by now. The place has sure been slow the last few weeks. But then again summer is upon us.
I agree with you on the 7 BR. A little to much HP for the frame. Kinda reminds me of when we put a BB Chevy in a Vega station wagon. Things that don't normally move or bend tend to do so sooner or later, and usually when you least expect it too. LOL maybe this is TC's answer the Cosworth Vega LOL.

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Jeff-
This has been one of our busiest Springs ever, so hunting and shooting have been on somewhat of a backburner. But things have slowed back to normal, so I'll be out chasing hogs fairly soon.

I did get to do a little shooting this evening, including the 22" TC Custom Shop barrel in 6 TCU. It's very impressive, with 65 grain Bergers and 28 grains of BenchMark combining for a load that groups well under 0.5 MOA when I do my part. I had just received a new left-handed, thumbhole buttstock (w/ cheekpiece) & forend for it, so I had to re-sight-in and burn a few extra rounds as well.

I, too, have seen good and very bad from the TC Custom Shop, so I agree with you that a custom shop barrel is never a sure thing.

I played with the 20" 7mm Bullberry a bit as well. Last season, I knocked off 3 of my 4 deer with it using the Sierra 130 grain SSP, and the bullet/load (32 grains H335 for 2505 fps) performed extremely well. But I can't leave well enough alone, so I am now trying the 140 grain Ballistic Tip. The first 2 loads I tried today were impressive: 1.05 and 1.16" for 3 shots at 200 yards. Velocities were a little over the 2500 fps mark -- plenty of horsepower for my needs -- so I may try this one once the whitetail season comes around (or maybe on a smaller hog if opportunity arises). And the good thing is: the 200 yard POI is virtually the same as the 130 SSP grain load, and that's about as far as I'll be shooting with this little carbine.

Well, I'd better end this quickly; the storms moving through the state are knocking on my door...

Posts: 9337 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do get the barrel and try it, make sure you try 28.5 grains of ReLoader 7 and the 120 VMax or 120 BT (VMax's are more conducive to adequate groundhog explosions!!!) as both will astound you in the accuracy deartment! Use the Federal 205 Match primers too! Longest shot using this combo was 376 yards in an XP using a holosight!! DEVASTATING!!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
GHD-
If you review the first part of this thread, you'll see that this is a CONTENDER barrel, for which the pressures must be kept lower than one would do in a bolt action such as your XP.

28.5 grains of Re-7 under a 120 grain bullet is around 2 grains over max recommended by at least a couple of manuals, which means it would be a rather warm load, even for an XP. But it would be flat-out unsafe to try that load in a Contender.

I know Jeff well enough to know that he'd consult the manuals, back off and work up his loads and not just start out with the load you mentioned. But someone else on the board could do just that -- and that would be asking for trouble. That's simply why I am pointing this out...

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a prime reason NOT to chamber a CONTENDER in some of these various calibers. Try it first and read later just doesn't get it with this type of combo.

GHD, I don't have any data for the RL7, so I do not know if this is on the low end of the chart or not. As far as getting the barrel, I will pass.
I have the Encore or the XP for those duties.
Jeff

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
JSH -

Don't know what I was thinking above [Roll Eyes] - I was reading 7 BR, but thinking 7 TCU. (I don't make these mistakes on the range).

Anyways, my friend has the 7mm TCU. Looks like you made a decision anyways - good luck

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote