THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT PISTOLS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Pistols    Has the 7mm Bench rest died out (in XP's)? Anyone use it?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has the 7mm Bench rest died out (in XP's)? Anyone use it?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cas
posted
I was just thinking about XP's and all the 7BR's I used to see for sale, back when we still had our ".35 or larger for big game" law on the books. I can't even remember the last time I saw and XP (or anything) in 7BR for sale. Did the thing die off? Or did silhouette shooting just fade away enough that it doesn't se much use, and hunters want more power?

Anyone shooting 7BR?

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
For me, it will always be alive and well -- and I doubt I'll ever be without one. I've gone through either 4 or 5 over the years and still have one left. I don't shoot silhouette but rather hunt and punch paper. A 120 grain Ballistic Tip at 2400 fps is all you really need for any deer-sized game out to 200+ yards. And, the accuracy is simply outstanding.

It may have lost ground in terms of popularity, but it gives up precious little in terms of performance and efficiency.

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bobby. I have had a number of XP 7BR's, but further and flatter seems to call to me a lot and they end up getting customized. A good number of them has ended up being customized into another cartridge or the action will be used for a poor man's bench rifle. I would imagine that the Encore and Striker also had an impact on the 7BR XP, since they could do more for less money. On top of all of that, they are no longer being made as you know. In a XP today if I was choosing the BR case it would be from the 22 to the 6.5. With the 22 or 6mm being my favorites.

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cas,

I have and have only had one 7mm BR in the XP-100. To be totally honest with you I purchased this handgun simply for its action to be built into something a bit hotter.

Lucky for me I also purchased a box of Rem 140 gr CL ammo with the XP just to say that I had shot the 7mm BR.

the first five rounds cut a 1" group and the little round really grabbed my attention. From there I purchased some 7mm BR dies and started doing some serious load testing to see if this handgun was to good to use as an action donor. With the 140 gr ballistic tips I was getting sub 1" groups with 2300 fps using H-335.

I had been hunting with the 7mm-08 out of a 15" Encore and was getting just under 2600 fps with that same 140 gr pill and really liked its performance on deer as well as its trajectory.

I decided to give the lighter 120 gr Ballistic Tips a try and this was the silver tuna so to speak. With my top loads using H-335 and a CCI-BR4 primer, I get 1/2" to 3/4" groups at a solid 2500 fps.

As has been already stated, it is an amazing performer on deer size critters out to 200 yards and will make short work on varmints as well. I have even used a Moly coated 110 gr TNT driven to 2600 fps with very good results. Will flip a chuck as well as most rounds twice its size.

Like I said, I have only had but one 7mmBR and its just the standard plastic stock version that is in the 3 decade age group but it will always be in the safe and before every hunting season, it will have its zero checks and often it gets at least a few outtings a year in the field.

I would like to see Rem bring back the classic XP-100, chamber it in the Fireball, 6mm &7mm BR as well as a new round on the lines of a 7mm WSSM.

The 7mmBR is far from dead, its just that those that are left are at happy homes with no need to leave.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 7mmBR xp-100 is probably my most accurate handgun. Have taken many groundhog at around 200yds. They are almost "magnetic" when it comes to hitting critterh that size. I have too many other toys for deer but maybe I'll try it for deer someday. No recoil, but cosiderable punch. I shoot 139gr Hornady for competition and 110 or 115 for varmints. Buy one, shoot it and you'll keep it.
Bill

[ 05-21-2003, 02:31: Message edited by: pahandgunhunter ]

Posts: 247 | Location: Butler, PA | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
One thing I want to add: 32 grains of H-335, Rem 7 1/2s primers and a Nosler 120 grain BT has proven to be a load that seems to be accurate in most 7BR XPs. It worked well in all of mine and has done the same for a number of fellow shooters. In my current XP, the velocity @ 15' is 2412 fps, and the load consistently prints 0.5-0.6" 3-shot groups at 100 yards.

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Cas,
I have a XP100 in 7BR that I shoot metallic silhouette with. The 7BR sure is one accurate round. I also have a MOA pistol with two 10 inch barrels, 6.5BR & 7BR. The 7BR barrel is unfired as I'm having to much fun with the 6.5BR.

Jay

Posts: 104 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cas, I have two XP's, one in the 7BR and the other one in the 7 IHMSA. The IHMSA is just as accurate as the 7BR but with about 150 fps more. That is why I don't utilize the 7BR. Too many other calibers out there that are just as accurate but cheaper and hotter, especially for hunting.

Posts: 71 | Location: Worland, WY | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak for the hunters, as I agree that a 7mm-08 or something like it might be a better deal. BUT, the reason you do not see anything for sale in 7mm BR is that they are snatched up at every opportunity.

Remington XP-100 pistols in 7BR are in great demand by the silhouette clan. I have two and wish to hell I had a couple more. Virtually every silhouette shooter I know has a gun of some sort chambered in 7BR. I see them at the range in XP-100's and MOA's and XL's, etc. etc.

It has to be just about the best all around pistol silhouette cartridge available.

The last one I picked up was a stock XP-100 that probably did not have 200 rounds through it. I put on an H-S Precision stock, added a Mike Dewey trigger, a set of Leupold rings and bases and a Leupold 2.5 X 8 EER scope. Now it does not shoot just anything into one hole, but with select loads it is amazing. With a 130 grain Sierra Matchking loaded over 27 grains of N 135 powder I have yet to shoot a five shot group at 100 yards that was over a half inch. I have shot several down in the low 0.3's. If I miss with that gun I know who to blame.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm now on my third xp in 7BR!!! Absolutely love the caliber and the gun!! Just pulled a 7IHMSA barrel off last week and replaced it with a 7BR barrel! The IHMSA was all right as it did 3/4 inch at 100 yards with 35 grains of H322 and a 100 grain Sierra HP at 2545fps but the 7BR using 28.5 grains of Reloader 7 and a 120 grain VMax is giving me 2440 and is more pleasant to shoot! Now I have 2 barrels capable of good accuracy for this xp! But I bet I'll never put the IHMSA barrel back on it! Matter of fact if anybody out there needs one and a set of Redding dies for the IHMSA, email me! Thanks, GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My first XP was a 7BR, all I shoot out of it is the RCBS 145 cast. Will do 1 1/2" at 150 yards, hogs shot in the neck just drop! It's a great cartridge!!

Posts: 1 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 23 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've had 2, still have 1 that's great for whitetails, last one was a doe 243 yards and
dropped instantly. I use H-335, Rem 71/2and Sierra 130 grn SSP bullet. I will never sell it.

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7BR is a great round, but not what was advertised, as a round that would outshoot the 7mmTCU by a wide margin...Many of us (me included) bought them for that reason. Adventures with the shooting chrony...now deceased, unfortunately, showed differently. The XPs were extremely accurate, but didn't put the rams down any better than the TCU in my opinion and that of many of my fellow shooters out at the Brandon Florida range. I suspect you will find many of the BRs have been rechambered to IMHSA or 7mm/08. I rechambered mine to 08 and never looked back, it was every bit as accurate as it was as a BR and carried an honest 200+ fps extra velocity.
I think if I was going to use it for varmiting and reasonable ranged deer hunting, I'd have left it as a BR, but for Ram slamming, the 08 was much better...guess that says I'm not as good a shot as I should have been, but I never rang one with the 08.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While others used there Xp's for other rounds I took a Savage Striker and made it a rear grrip in 7BR almost as heavty as some of my rilfes and shots great froma bipod, now if only I had a way to post a picture of it.

Michael

Posts: 71 | Location: Behind the Orange Curtain, Kalifornia | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote