New
Find
Notify
Tools

300-221
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm having a problem deciding what my next Contender barrel should be. Right now i am thinking of a 300-221 14". I have 3 varmit barrels and a 7-30 Waters for deer. The 300-221 sounds like an interesting caliber. Does anyone know anything about this caliber?

Thanks for the help,
bobg

Posts: 45 | Location: W.N.Y. | Registered: 17 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Seems that everyone who has one loves it. I have a 14" .30 Herrett barrel which I really enjoy and it is just about the same thing. I think you'll really like the .300-221. Based on what I've read, you really should get the 1-8" twist. Then you'll have lots of fun with the real heavyweight bullets.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<IKE>
posted
I've got two blue TC factory Contender barrels in 300 Whisper (one 10" and one 14")and a rebarreled XP-100 in 300-221 that was done by Virgin Valley.....all three are 1 in 10 twists.

It's a tack driving, sweet shooting little round.....everybody needs at least one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ike,

I think you're right, I should own one. What bullets and powder are you using? Some suggestions sure would be helpful.

Thanks,
bobg

Posts: 45 | Location: W.N.Y. | Registered: 17 July 2002Reply With Quote
<IKE>
posted
Bob,

Both my 14" Contender barrel and my XP are loaded for IHMSA competitions and in them I'm using Sierra # 2200 168gr BTHP bullets, Rem. 7 1/2 BR primers with 18.5grs of AA1680.

I located the new 10" Contender barrel almost two years ago, with hunting in mind, but have yet to run a round through it.

When and if I do get around to working up a hunting load for the 10 incher I'm going to give Rem. 7 1/2 BR primers, Hornady #3021 130gr SSp's, and somewhere between 17.0 and 19.0grs of H110 a try first.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobg, I'd also recommend looking at the 300 Whisper. [Big Grin] My barrel is a 300/221 from VVCG, but uses 300 Whisper dies and brass. 300 Whisper is a proprietary/trademarked round/name developed by JD Jones of SSK Industries. I believe the only difference in the two is the name/manufacturer. I used my new 300/221 (AKA 300 Whisper) to harvest it's first two whitetail deer this past season, both does. The first was 197 yds away (125 gr NBT) and the second was 115 yds (130 gr Hornady SSP) distant; one shot each w/ both deer. (I lasered the ranges afterwards so am confident of the ranges.) The 300/221 is amazingly efficient. In my 12" barrel, I get 2250 fps w/ the NBT and 2200 fps w/ the Hornady w/o really pushing the pressure envelope. As far as trajectory, in my handgun, when the NBT is sighted 1" high at 100 yds, it's about 6" low at 200 yards. I don't think I'll push it's capabilities beyond 200 yards at this time. The 300 Whisper' supersonic loads are remarkably quiet in a 12" barrel, although supersonic loads ARE louder than a "whisper". [Wink] I have no experience yet w/ the subsonic loads, so can't comment on them. But don't forget, if you wantto use the heavy subsonic bullets, you'll need a barrel w/ a faster twist. I believe 1:8 twist is recommended to handle BOTH sub and supersonic bullets. Seems like the factory T/C barrels were a little slower, like 1:10". If you get a Whisper (AKA 300/221), I bet you'll be pleased. Good luck and good hunting. Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I got a 10" from VVG. The barrel is more accurate than I am. Needless to say, I love it. You can find load data at http://www.quarterbore.com