New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snipe Pod set up on Contender
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After some discussion on an earlier thread, I have taken a couple of pictures of my Snipe Pod set up on my Contender. The first picture shows the Snipe Pod mounted on an extension from the Contender forepiece. This gives a long base between the snipe pod and the hand grip of the Contender and adds a lot to the overall stability of the Contender. The Snipe Pod can be folded and the contender can be carried by a shoulder strap (those rubber bands on the shoulder strap just add a little adhesion so the strap won't slip off my shoulder).

-

Posts: 223 | Location: Centennial, CO USA | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, my first try at posting a picture was only partially successful. That puppy is really small, but lets try and see what happens with the second picture.

This picture shows the stance I take when using the Snipe pod with field shooting. The first thing is to extend the Snipe pod to its full length. Next, spread the two legs and extend them forward at about a 45 degree angle. Put the feet on the ground, and from a kneeling position, push forward to get the right height. Pull your arms into your body for additional rigidity.

This gives a very steady shooting position and so long as the foliage ahead of you is low enough or so long as you are shooting from higher ground, you will be able to hold steady on a game sized animal as far as a couple hundred yards.

Hope this picture works OK.

Don Shearer

-

Posts: 223 | Location: Centennial, CO USA | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll try that first picture again. This will give a little better idea of the mount for the Snipe Pod. Perhaps too I will be able to figure out how to do all this with a single post next time. Thanks to Terry Carr who was kind enough to get me this far with the method for posting pictures.

Don Shearer

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,
Thanks for the post and for the e-mail.
Looks great and more importantly it looks practical for field use! Hmm...when I get my G-2. How long does it take you to get the snipe-pod set-up in the field while not making a lot of noise? Do you unfold it while making the stalk or while you are getting into position to shoot?

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ernie,

I hunt in open country and my shots are usually more than 150 yds, so unfolding the pod when setting up for the shot is not a problem. Unfolding it does make a little bit of sound, but is not loud. You could actually unfold it carefully and make essentiall no noise, or you could unfold it before you are ready to sett up for a shot - actually carry the Contender with the sling over your shoulder, with the legs unfolded, extending up in the air. Also, when I hunt and sit for a while, I unfold the pod and set the Contender at my side while looking the countryside over with binoculars. The length of time needed to unfold from a carry position and be ready to shoot wouldn't take more than 8 or 10 seconds unless you are trying to be super quiet about it.

One of the nice things about the pod is that with the ball joints on each leg, you can set it on the ground in a shoot position, then swivel a bit from one side to the other (like if your animal moved a bit, - - or if you just saw a bigger one nearby).

Don Shearer