New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270/7mm WSM XP or Striker?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My latest Greg Tannel project was my 16" 6.5-284 Win. for long-range varmints (not pr.dogs) + big game, but as good (and popular)as the cartridge is i'm beginning to think that i should have gone for a .270 or 7mm WSM due to better bullet selection now (especially considering the new Accubond/Interbond and SST offerings), This is a purely academic topic here (for me at least- i really do love my GT creation), but i think it could help the guy who may be considering a custom gun for a similar purpose. I'm really thinking the edge is going away from the 6.5 hunter now due to better bullet selection in the aforementioned calibers? Any comments??

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to disagree on the "better" bullet selection. There may be more bullets available, but I think that 6.5 has the best selection of bullets available for hunting or target shooting for velocities consistent with high powered handguns. My contention is that most of the bullets available in the .264" diameter were developed with the 6.5 Sweede in mind whether it be a primary or a secondary bullet for this chambering. I understand this cannot be considered true in all cases. The Sweede is a medium velocity cartridge just like your wildcat round so it follows that the bullets should work very well at those velocities.

On the other hand, I think that most of the 7mm bullets were designed with the most popular cartridge in that diameter the 7mm Rem Mag. It follows that those bullets tend to perform better at higher velocities. This means (in my demented mind anyway) that you are limited on bullets that will work, so my opinion is that you have the best choice. However if you are not happy with it then you may give me the gun and buy yourself a new one. Now that I see it in this light...you are absolutely correct...you need a bigger gun! [Smile]

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point. on the 1st part B. Koes, but i'll take the last part under advisement + get back to you on it. But i don't think i'd hold my breath on that one.

one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
>I don't agree with the better bullets part either. Most companies (Barnes, Nosler, Swift etc)make premium bullets for the 6.5mm. Hornady makes two SST's 129 and 140. In a couple of years Nosler will probably make an Accubond for the 6.5. If for no other reason than for over-seas sales. Heck they make 9.3 Partitions and Ballistic tips. My guess is Hornady will also make interbonds within a few years- like they did with the SST's.

>The WSM cases may be better than the 284 cases for a rifle but probably not a pistol. A case [Big Grin] of too much capacity in a 14- 16" barrel.

>Most importantly, 270's and 7mm's are just too common-- BORING.

>7mm and 30 caliber will always be first to get the new stuff. Usually it trickles down to other calibers in a couple of years. My $0.02

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's kind of what i'm talking about. I'll be waiting anxiously for an Accubond, Interbond, or maybe even a Swift Scirocco (it's sure taking them a while to get one going)-- maybe, we'll see.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sscoyote,
The new wssm case may be a good choice in the 6.5 or the 7mm, but I am still unsure what it's actual case capacity will be (maybe 06 capacity?). But even at that I'm sure that won't be enough case capacity since you are wanting to stretch the limits on range. If you are wanting to use the wsm case I think you would be better off going to the 7, since you can get by with more case capacity as you go up in caliber. It is still probably going to be a trade off (with the 7 edging the 6.5 out) and I doubt you will gain enough to make it worth it. But it is fun mental gymnastics.
xphunter

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote