New
Find
Notify
Tools

40/44 Woodswalker from SSK
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got an e-mail from SSK today. I sent them the other day asking about the dies. There reply was>>>> No problem, $68.00 + $6.00 shipping and they are in stock. I'll send all the load data with the dies.
Can't beat that.
So what do ya think guys?
I already have a sh!t load of brass and bullets and I think it would be a great round for a short barreled Contender.

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Jules
I read an article on that round a while back supposed to be good round. They did say it wasn't for the faint of heart though. I'll look around for the article, it had to be between a year to two years ago.
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
170s at 2300fps from a 10" barrel. As Bobby would say...Right up Jules alley. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I was looking to have an extra cylinder rechamberd to this, for my Ruger Buckeye. Never did get a price out of Mr. Jones (3 tries) Got tired of asking. His loss I s'pose.

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Jules
In this article they say " with the same powder charge, 40/44 sends a 190 Grain .40 caliber bullet out of the barrel at 2073Fps, and that with the same powder charge, the 40/44 sends a 170 grain bullet out of the barrel at 2094Fps." They are claiming peak efficiency out of a 10" barrel.
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rich,
I have ordered the dies.

[ 08-20-2002, 06:06: Message edited by: Jules ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
Was that from Jones os someone else? SSK barrel or rechamered factory? Thats still great for a 40 caliber though. I'm gettin one and if I like it i'm going to sell my 8" 44mag barrel.

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Yeah it was an SSK Barrel. ONE of the Gunworld writers wrote that.
Rich Jake

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Jules, I must have missed it while i was away. Did you order one of these barrels from SSK?

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jules

What is your intended use for this barrel??? What bullets do you plan to use? Aren't most of the .40 bullets that are commonly available intended for use in the 40 S&W and 10mm handguns? Don't you think these bullets would be a bit too frangible for use on game at the velocity this barrel will produce????

Just curious! [Big Grin]

[ 08-20-2002, 19:14: Message edited by: GonHuntin ]

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I didn't order the barrel yet. I was going to get it from DVH. I'll have to get the dies, Size a case and then send it to DVH to cut the chamber. I was going to make it my winter project but things are looking more like next month. If I like it more then the 8" 44mag then i'll be selling the 44 barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GonHuntin, Mostly hunting and playin and I like to have something not to many people have [Big Grin]
You are correct about most of the bullets. But,Jones took a 450lb boar with the Sierra 170gr FP and i'm leaning toward the hard cast also. I have plenty of both. I'll give it a try and see what shakes out. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any body know what a .338 Woodswalker is???

Posts: 46 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: 01 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe it's a .338 x 444 improved. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
No... I think it's on a rather oddball (for here) European case. Can't remember which and too lazy to look.

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of contender85
posted Hide Post
The .338 Woodswalker uses the 8.15x46mmR case.
Mark

Posts: 413 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Fireball>
posted
Jules What happened?? Thought you and JD were fierce enemies??
Two months ago you could not buy dies from him now you are having breakfast with him christmas morning>>???

lol

fireball [Wink]

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Fireball
If you look at the date that Jules made that post it was in August before the big JD thing went on.
It seems one of the guys resurrected an old thread. I was surprised when I saw it as well, until I looked at it closer. [Big Grin]
Rich Jake

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would but only if Mike Bellm and V.V.Dave joins us [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's OK Rich. You'll never hear me talk bad about Mr. Jones [Smile]

<Fireball>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Jake:
Fireball
If you look at the date that Jules made that post it was in August before the big JD thing went on.
It seems one of the guys resurrected an old thread. I was surprised when I saw it as well, until I looked at it closer. [Big Grin]
Rich Jake

Yes I guess your are Right Rich!! Just seems I remember something about Jules wearing panties or something like that over the JD thing.......lol
Well it really don't matter to me as long as Jules gets his dies this time

Fireball

[ 12-23-2002, 07:58: Message edited by: Fireball ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a .414 Super Mag rechamber last summer, and the round caught my attention. Sort of a .357 Max. on steroids.

Starline makes the brass, which is not too expensive, and it uses common .41 Mag. dies like the .357 Max. does.

I have about a half dozen 30" .41 cal. blanks I cut rifled for Texas Longhorn Arms, if I am remembering Bill Grover's company name correctly, that were extras left over from a batch of barrels I made for him years ago. I can't think of anything more fitting for these blanks, and they will eventually come to the surface as Contender barrels.

That .414 should be a "hoss," but I have not seen any data for it yet. I know what the "Max." and the .445 Super Mag. do. So this one has to be good!

Anyone have at least Dan Wesson revolver data for this round?

At least you have bullets available made for magnum type applications. Plus, I understand there are some outstanding bullet moulds up in the 265 gr. weight and heavier.

Don't mean to get you salivating, Jules, but I am a bit skeptical of light .40 cal. bullets driven that fast used on stuff very tough like hogs. My bud, Howard, in MO had the idea of using, I believe it was, 146 gr. Hornady hollow points in his .357 Max, but he said they blew up more like varmint bullets. I would expect something the same with the .40 cal. handgun bullets driven this fast.

Anyway, .414 looks quite interesting.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Interesting 41's are the GNR's. I have been looking at them for some time now. The 41GNR uses 44mag brass just like SSK's woodswalker. The 41GNR#2 uses 445 brass which is MUCH more popular than the 414 brass with obviously more case capacity. I also believe that since Dan Wesson actually built guns for the 445 that brass will be available into the future.

Hopefully after the first of the year i WILL be building a 12" Stainless 41GNR#2.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Bellm:
I did a .414 Super Mag rechamber last summer, and the round caught my attention. Sort of a .357 Max. on steroids.

Starline makes the brass, which is not too expensive, and it uses common .41 Mag. dies like the .357 Max. does.

I have about a half dozen 30" .41 cal. blanks I cut rifled for Texas Longhorn Arms, if I am remembering Bill Grover's company name correctly, that were extras left over from a batch of barrels I made for him years ago. I can't think of anything more fitting for these blanks, and they will eventually come to the surface as Contender barrels.

That .414 should be a "hoss," but I have not seen any data for it yet. I know what the "Max." and the .445 Super Mag. do. So this one has to be good!

Anyone have at least Dan Wesson revolver data for this round?

At least you have bullets available made for magnum type applications. Plus, I understand there are some outstanding bullet moulds up in the 265 gr. weight and heavier.

Don't mean to get you salivating, Jules, but I am a bit skeptical of light .40 cal. bullets driven that fast used on stuff very tough like hogs. My bud, Howard, in MO had the idea of using, I believe it was, 146 gr. Hornady hollow points in his .357 Max, but he said they blew up more like varmint bullets. I would expect something the same with the .40 cal. handgun bullets driven this fast.

Anyway, .414 looks quite interesting.

Mike

I'm over the 40 Mike. Just a phase I went through [Big Grin] But there's some very good cast bullets out there for this type of round.
414 Super mag. sounds good. Here's a little info on the 414>>> http://www.lasc.ca/RangingShotDW414SM.htm