Find
Notify
Tools

Two piece Contender firing pin!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Last week the final check on loads that shot fine according to records and they were NOT very good!

Went yesterday (first day of season) to retest in anticipation of hunting today!

Second shot with the 357 Max and click nothing!!
cock, fire, click again . . . NO mark at all on primer.

Ok so I will shoot in a couple of rifles to hunt with.

Get home get to looking to see what is wrong with the hammer block or whatever on the TC frame and note the funny position of the firing pins!
Take out the little part that holds the pins and the centerfire firing pin falls out in two pieces!

[Mad]
. . . wait just switch the pins around . . .

DANG centerfire pin is different than rimfire!

Call to TC first thing Monday!

OK next plan!

LouisB

[ 11-26-2002, 05:37: Message edited by: TCLouis ]

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Fireball>
posted
Not an EXPERT on this But it happened to me in 1981 and TC told me it was from dry firing.
At any rate they relaced it for free.

Fireball [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Simply radius the end of the rimfire firing pin like the centerfire pin and switch 'em.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I bought this frame used and have probably fired it over a thousand times so I guess a little repair can be expected. I started to spin one out of a piece of drill rod, but had no idea how to draw it for proper hardness/strength.
Glad I have two frames and both are getting in such a condition that I think Mike's oversize pins may well be in order in the near future.
They (TC) did tell me today to expect G-2s to be available after the first of the year . . . NO sense of humor when I asked which year!

LouisB

Looks like the 30 Herrett is going to be it for the first part of season!

[ 11-26-2002, 05:38: Message edited by: TCLouis ]

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Mike I missed what you were trying to tell me about converting the rimfire pin.

As it works out I got the new pins from TC on Friday and went to install the pin (made slightly different now and are much beefier where my pin broke) and the new pin would not go in either . . . little observation and I realize I can't see thru the hole.
Finally found something the right size and knocked a disc shaped piece of firing pin out of the hole.
That accomplished it was a revelaton that I understood what Mike was tell me to to in the msg posted here.
Just radius the tip of the rimfire firing pin and go on! Oh well I am set now and the gun put them on target on paper, now if I can just find some meat on the hoof to bring home with it before season closes in January!
LouisB

Mike . . . I can learn, albeit slowly!