New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big brake question????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Been debating this for some time now. Need some help (and opinions).

I’ve got a superbly accurate 14” 309jdj barrel that my wife gave me as a wedding present. I love the way it shoots; however, this braked barrel is TOO LOUD. What should I do? First off, obviously, the barrel has a lot of sentimental value and I’m very reluctant at cutting off the brake and re-crowning, but that is one option. Would I loose any velocity since the effective barrel is 13” anyway? Mike Bellm has given me the idea of making a sleeve that fits the expansion chamber and covers the vent holes. Shoot it with or without the sleeve and I can “Have my break and keep my hearing too”. However, would this change barrel harmonics to some great extent if it’s shot “sleeved” or not? Most importantly, when and if I do something, how much quieter would the unbraked barrel be anyway? How much does the 309 recoil without a brake? I don't mind my 10" 44 mag barrel with hot 300 grain loads, any worse than that?

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot .309 JDJs without brakes and the recoil isn't bad (noise isn't either for that matter).

Lee Martin
www.singleactions.com

Posts: 380 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell ya what, I'd rather shoot the .309 JDJ with no brake than shoot heavy loads in a 10" .44 Mag..... anyday!

Consider yourself well conditioned for an unbraked .309 JDJ.

Brake v. no brake may change impact point.... just have to try it to see.

Mike

[ 05-02-2003, 10:47: Message edited by: Mike Bellm ]

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote