Find
Notify
Tools

Meat in the freezer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I didn't get a buck but ya can't eat them horns anyway [Smile]
The first doe was about 45 paces and I took it with the 20" 308Bellm using a 150gr. Nosler BT at around 2550fps. The 90lb. deer dropped at the shot.
The second at about 75 paces was taken with a 14" Bellm, rechambered 444 Marlin. I used a Speer 240gr.JSP at about 1950fps. This 100lb. deer also dropped at the shot.
Both shots were broadside and both hearts were destroyed along with plenty of lung damage from the Nosler.
The Nosler turned most of the vitals into jello and left an exit wound around 3" or so.
If you plan on shootin a running deer and can't get the perfict still shot that I did {got lucky}I wouldn't use the Nosler BTs. Although the Noslers are great bullets, they open quick and would destory a ham or even the whole hind quarters on a bad shot. But I know ya'll wouldn't make a bad shot [Big Grin]
Listen up. A few years ago I was shooting at 3 running deer from a tree stand in a cut over about 200yds away with the 165gr. BTs. I was using a Rem 30-06 bolt. BTW, I was able to load the gun 3 times while missing them. [Eek!] Thats 18 rounds.
Anyway, after the last shot I musta hit one cause I only saw 2 of them go into the pines. I got out of the stand and walked to where I took the last shot. When I got there I almost stepped on the deer before it jumped up. I took 2 shots with the 06 as it was running away from me. This is no joke...one of those bullets entered it's poop shoot and the deer ran about another 100yds. When I got to the deer I rolled it over and there was no guts left to gut out. I mean nothing! Both lungs and heart were never touched, but everything from the liver back was gone. Just thought i'd let ya'll know that. No I don't think it's a good idea to take butt shots to save yourself from doing the dirty. [Big Grin]
The Noslers are still great bullets and great for long range.

The Speer didn't do near this much damage but put a nice clean hole all the way through. I had some 240gr. Rem. JSPs loaded the same as the Speers but used the Speer. Both bullets are very accurate in my barrel and I could have used either.
I missed 4 deer running at mach 3 with my S&W 44mag. on Saturday. I'll say no more on that [Big Grin]

Anyway....I have meat in the freezer and a batch of jerky soakin in the juice.
And still have another month of deer huntin. [Wink]

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
CONGRATS!! Nice shootin.....

I hope to put a horned one down tomorrow! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, Jules. ANd thanks for including details on bullet performance. I always like to share such info, and I certainly welcome reading of anyone else's experiences. After all, the learning process in this wonderful field simply never stops...

Posts: 9341 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 1buba
posted Hide Post
Congrats Bone!!!

I AM jealous. Our season was over the 3rd week of November.

steve

Posts: 329 | Location: North Pole, AK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Now blood that .250 bbl.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Hey Good Job Jules !
Gald you got to get a deer with the barrels. [Big Grin] Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<SD Handgunner>
posted
Way to go Jules. Congrats on the deer and the shootin. Now go out and get a monster.

Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
Now that Mike B. has given me the the info I need i'll be using the 250imp. the rest of the deer season.
As most of you know, Va. is one of those states that lets the use of dogs to hunt deer. In Pa. we only used dogs for birds and rabbits....never deer. But after 15 years of hunting deer with dogs I kinda got used to it. Man! After your first kill using dogs and ya know how it all works... when you hear a pack of hounds gettin closer to ya, your blood really gets pumping. [Wink]
Ya gotta think of it as just hunting big rabbits [Big Grin] It's a blast.

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
Jules,

Is this one of those states that allows you shoot 15 deer a day?

[Big Grin]

First, no pistol permits and now this. I'm in the wrong state!

Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard all about NY Ray. The gun laws there really suck.

Well, maybe not 15 a day...but close [Big Grin]
I hunt in Brunswick county and you can ride around with a dozen loaded guns in your vehicle while ya hunt if ya want to. But ya have to get out of your car if you want to shoot. You can also hunt from the side of the road as long as your shootin on the side your standing on. Can't shoot across the road.