New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 loads for Striker?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have any loads to use in a 12" 243 Savage Striker. I've loaded rifle 243 loads but was wondering what loads would work better in a shorter barrel.
Thanks for now
Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worked with a couple 14" Savage Strikers and a 15" T/C Encore in .243 Winchester. The best combination I came up with for use on both Varmints & Whitetails used the 80gr. Speer Hot Core Spitzer loaded with H-4895 Powder.

I have taken a few Varmints and two Whitetails with the above combination with very good results.

Larry

PS To edit your post click on the little icon of a folder with a pencil eraser on it and that should let you edit your post. It is located in the lower right hand corner above the reply tab.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks SDHandgunner
I've loaded many 243 shells for my 243 rifle when I had it but didn't know what bullets to use in my Striker. Supposed to be here by Friday so right now I'm as excited as I would be the week before moose season. What kind of accuracy did you get from your Striker? I'm wondering if it will be as accurate as my Contenders.

Thanks for the edit tip as well. I just found my little eraser and will try it.
Thanks
again
Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried many loads because I found one that works well. 58gr V-Max with 37gr IMR3031.

I posted this 3 shot group @100yds and was able to take a ground hog at 350yds with it.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks DEC. I agree, a load that groups like that is not to be changed. I picked up a box of 75grHP and a box of 100grBTSP today but I will definitely pick up a box of 58gr Vmax to try as well. I'd like to have a load for varmint and deer,antelope. I havn't made it to the US with my handguns in a few years now and sure do miss it. I'm waiting to get some information on North Dakota seasons, I was told that two districts were to have doe seasons that were not a draw to try and thin the herd a little. If this is correct I think my new toy may get tested this year.
Thanks again for the info.
Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got my Striker this morning.
Love the feel of it but it really doesn't like Winchester 80gr loads. I had to try it and didn't have anything loaded yet so I bought a box of Winchesters. I shot 5 three shot groups and all were about 1.5 to 2".The tighter ones being those where I turned the brake off. The trigger is a little heavy and you can feel the creep a little but still not as bad as I had heard. Sure a different feeling compared to my Contenders though. Anyways, I'll keep ya posted when I get more groups.
Thanks again for the replys
Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have mentioned, to attain the group I did I had to have a firm grip on the gun. I found if I relaxed my grip like I normally would, the groups opened up to around 1 1/2"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey DEC
I wanted to ask you hwat kind of grip you had or used. I only had one box of factories with me so I didn't do much experimenting. On my contenders I usually squeeze my off hand under the grip but with the big knurn at the bottom of the striker I couldn't do this. How do you hold your striker for best accuracy. From the group you showed you're obviously doing something right.
Thanks
Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the gun in question.

I only hold it with my shooting hand using a firm grip as if I'm trying to control the recoil. I ball up my left hand and place it under the grip for elevation.