New
Find
Notify
Tools

mounting rifle scope on 10" TC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think I know the answer to this question, but is it a common practice to mount rifle scopes on contender pistols? My 10" 22 RF barrel is very accurate. I was thinking of mounting a 3x9 Leupold rifle scope on it. Does a set-up like this work well?

one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It works well if you don't mind sitting down at the bench to do MOST of your shooting, and afterwards can convince yourself you're still shooting a pistol.

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I have used rifle scopes on several pistols, some worked great while others broke my damn shootin glasses! LOL! A 22lr would work GREAT with a rifle scope. One thing to remember, that Leupold 3x-9x is parallax corrected to 150 yards (if i remember right), other than that it should be great fun!

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a rifle scope is the preferred choice for a rimfire barrel. You don't HAVE to shoot it off a bench as it is steadier offhand to hold than using a pistol scope. You get a bigger field of view and you have a choice of much higher magnification. As MSSMagnum mentioned, parallax can be an issue so I would recommend a scope with an adjustable objective. This pretty much gives you the best of all choices. I have a 4-12x mounted on a .22 short barrel and a 6-24x mounted on both a .22 LR & .22 WMR barrel.

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
i'm using a 4x16 riflescope on my 14" 22lr match barrel, and also a 4x12 riflescope on my 14" .223 contender. i use 40gr nosler bt's with blue dot powder in the .223, so recoil is reduced just enough to make it work for me. i like both setups really well, but the only way to see if it works for you.....is to try it
i have no problems using them from the bench, or in the field with sling supported shots.
i'd recommend an AO scope also, even though the leupold is a great scope.

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna put the 3x9 Leupold on the 10" TC 22 match barrel. I've had a cheap 4x pistol scope on it before and it was ungodly accurate using PMC ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I put the 3x9 on the 22 Contender. The target is 5 shots at 50 yards. I didn't have a real solid rest, so I think it can do better.
Later on I shot paintballs taped to the 50 yard target. That was kind of fun.
I'm going to try this out for a while. I'll have to try it in the field and see if it works. Using the rifle scope on the pistole' is kind of like peeking through a keyhole.
Thanks for the help.