New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prices for Custom barrels
 Login/Join

<Fireball221>
posted
What are most of you willing to pay?? Lets put some rules on it.
SST
15"
No Brake
No fluting
this would be for a Sub 1" group barrel.....one you would be expecting to do 1/2" at a 100 if you do your part with good reloads?
From a custom shop such as ....SSK.....Bullberry...Virgin Valley.....Vanhorn
Please do not base this on some Mystique about a Special brand....But what you would pay or what you feel it is really worth
Fireball [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My personal rule is, I will not pay more for a bbl. then I would for a new frame, period.
The result of this rule is I very few custom bbls.
Oh well.
Wes

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sean VHA #60013
posted Hide Post
No brake or custom touches like fluting or special finish? I'd pay about $235.00 or less. Perhaps more if it was based upon a Hart or Shilon match blank, but otherwise $235 or less.

To my thinking, a plain good shooting barrel simply shouldn't cost more than this, unless it has been braked and given flutes or a custom finish. That is what a barrel grouping 1/2" at 100yards ought to cost, and it SHOULD also be available through the factory. Of course it is not, yet it easily could with some care and attention to detail in chambering and crowning, but of course this is the battle that Mike Bellm has been fighting for years!

Posts: 830 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Fireball221>
posted
Sean! funny That is EXACTLY how I feel. Accually I was thinking about $240.00 But I like your Estimate much better. I ask this Because of the prices I have had to pay or have seen others pay to get just a GOOD SHOOTING barrel.
On the other hand I understand that people are in bussiness to make money not loose money and the TC crowd is really a very limited market......BUT most do other things such as rifles and stocks...So why do some charge so much???

Fireball [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently sold a "custom" barrel. I bought it during a sale an outfit was having last summer. All I can say is that I got what I paid for. I learned a lesson and I won't buy another custom barrel from anyone but SSK. I currently own 2 of their barrels and they are both top notch.

[ 07-18-2002, 18:39: Message edited by: JD HHI 6092 ]

Posts: 183 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Perhaps more if it was based upon a Hart or Shilon match blank, but otherwise $235 or less.

I would love to find a price around what you guys are talking about. Especially if they were able to get it to you in a timely fashion. I don't want to starve these people either, but do think that they could be a little more reasonable with the prices. Maybe someday someone will be more reasonable & will make a few dollars in the process. [Smile]
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Watch for VV's Summer Shorty Sale:

Blue (Chrome Moly) $235.00
Stainless Steel $245.00
For Matte Finished Barrels Add $11.00
Special Throating Add $11.00
Special Necking Add $11.00

UPS or US Mail Shipping & Insurance $15.00
Virgin Valley SS Sale

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
After reading this thread I called VV and ordered a 14 inch Shilen one in fourteen twist barrel chambered in 221 for $235 on their shorty sale. I have paid almost that for a TC Custom shop barrel. Barrel should be fun to shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FireballBB:
Fireball [Razz]

I would add to your question:
and how long would you be willing to wait for it?
Greg

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<awtc>
posted
Now hold on Boyz! [Mad] Some of the fine cannons on the "big bore encore " thread must have cost a bit more than yer willing to pay. Well...err...uhmmm... [Eek!] eek! I myself have paid much more for custom barrels. Greenhorn I guess in shootin and purchasing. [Roll Eyes] Oh, well. [Cool]

<Fireball221>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Gregory:
quote:
Originally posted by FireballBB:
Fireball [Razz]

I would add to your question:
and how long would you be willing to wait for it?
Greg

Yes you are right!! Seems we must wait WAY TOO DAMN LONG........I am so tired of hearing about how busy they are or whatever!! Granted SOMETIMES,,,,,,,like in Mikes case early this year their is a Fair and honest reason for things taking so long. Barrel makers get away with long lead times and high prices because we are in a limited arena! But for the price you pay..and for the LOOOONG waits ..warranty should be....once it is delivered....we will replace..repair...Whatever it takes to make it right.....VERY QUICKLY!.....Lord help them if TC shooters ever become a large enough group to have Competition in from a Larger number fof barrel makers.
And Sorry But $300.00 and over for a barrel ..is just making a killing on the people helping to keep this sport alive....... BArrels can be produced for LESS money ...and quality barrels at that......It is always the Starting capital that hinders such things......hopefully someday!!

Fireball [Razz]