New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: First time out with the Encore, big problems
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
He measured headspace with some sort of pressure indicating paper on the base of an unfired round.

No special order, extractor. It only pushes the round out of the chamber slightly, doesn't throw them over the sholder.

I took the gun back to the original place of purchase. Their smith shot it with Remington ammo instead of Hornady. It did not expand. He said bad ammo from Hornady. I am not happy with that. I will be talking to TC before I continue.

Posts: 50 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlie in TX,

If you are using Hornady Light Magnum ammo, this is your problem. THe Encore is not designed to handle the extra strain of the Hronady Light and Heavy Magnum and Federal High Energy loads.

THis is why the Rem factory loads did not have this problem as badly.

It is not bad Hornady ammo, just the wrong ammo for the handgun. THe salesman should have know this and told you.

Another example of the high quality of out salespeople working in the gun industry.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To measure headspace on an Encore he needs to remove the extractor, see how much the headspace guage sticks out the chamber, (if any), put the barrel on the frame and check the distance from the back of the barrel to the standing breech. With these numbers you can tell headspace. If the go guage doesn't stick out at all you normally will have a problem.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote