New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.8 Rem. SPC Encore?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any purpose? Doesn't seem to do anything that the 7-30 Waters doesn't do better and if it's gonna be 6.8mm I'd rather have a .270. Any ideas as to why T/C decided to start chambering this from the factory?

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
In marketing, it's called perceived demand. It doesn't matter to marketing folks if the item fills a specific niche or is actually better than anything else out there. As long as it sells, the bottom line has been covered.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
In marketing, it's called perceived demand. It doesn't matter to marketing folks if the item fills a specific niche or is actually better than anything else out there. As long as it sells, the bottom line has been covered.

Reckon it's for those people that bought 6.8SPC Stoners and wish they'd bought Grendels in 6.5 like I did?

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I think the important part to this discussion was the original name of the cartridge . . .

6.8 SPC

The Remington was to make it a commercial cartridge

Was there a 308 before the (I think I remember this correctly) T55 0r 7.62X51

or a 223 before there was a 5.56.

SPC . . .

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Good point, Louis.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom`:
quote:

Reckon it's for those people that bought 6.8SPC Stoners and wish they'd bought Grendels in 6.5 like I did?

Not intending to hijack the thread but can a Contender handle a 6.5 Grendel. It would seem to be about perfect for a small carbine deer/antelope round.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb2706:
quote:
Originally posted by tom`:

Not intending to hijack the thread but can a Contender handle a 6.5 Grendel. It would seem to be about perfect for a small carbine deer/antelope round.

42-45,000PSI chamber pressures of the Grendel would make me feel more comfortable doing it on an Encore but a Contender could likely be built that would handle it. Leave a lower margin for error in pressures, though. Lots of hotter cartridges have been shot in Contenders.

I have a Stoner pattern rifle with multiple uppers, one 16", and it doesn't take too bad of a hit on velocities compared to the 18 and 21" tubes. Can't see why it couldn't be a T/C round. Slight velocity loss is made up for by the wonderful ballistic coeffecient of the 6.5mm in my reckoning.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinkin carbine length Contender barrel on a G2 in 6.5 Grendel. It might have a touch more poop than Bobbys 6.5 30-30 and brass that doesn't require so much effort to make.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Actually, the 6.5x30-30 AI will outperform the Grendel, particularly in Contender format. The margin isn't large, but there is a definite edge for the 30-30 AI-based round, thanks in part to a greater case capacity.

As to brass, forming is easy, but I have taken the easy way out lately by purchasing 6.5 BRM brass from eabco.com

One run through a FL die pushes the shoulder back slightly, and the resulting brass is so close to spec that actual fireforming is extremely minimal -- and in fact, those "fireforming" loads are often used as my conventional hunting loads.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Tom wrote:
quote:
42-45,000PSI chamber pressures of the Grendel

Actually, the latest figures for the factory ammo are 49000 psi. FoOr a handloader, the cartridge in the Contender would pose no problem, but I still feel it is best suited to the beefier Encore action.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tom wrote:
quote:
42-45,000PSI chamber pressures of the Grendel

Actually, the latest figures for the factory ammo are 49000 psi. FoOr a handloader, the cartridge in the Contender would pose no problem, but I still feel it is best suited to the beefier Encore action.

Guess my loading data is out of date or memory faulty, either way, I'd go Encore.
I bought uppers, mags, dies, and brass from Alexander Arms a few years back but I never have bought any ready rolled ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good info guys thanks

I prefer rimmed cases in my 'tenders anyway but always looking for the edge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good info guys thanks

I prefer rimmed cases in my 'tenders anyway but always looking for the edge.

Don't forget the T'BOSS modification.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In all the years I have followed Contenders, spoken with MB, and basically stayed in touch with the 'tender bunch of forum guys....never saw the Trailboss mod until today. Interesting..........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In all the years I have followed Contenders, spoken with MB, and basically stayed in touch with the 'tender bunch of forum guys....never saw the Trailboss mod until today. Interesting..........

I'm currently having it done to one of my .375 barrels as we speak.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a highest performance 6.5 in the Contender, I would go straight to the 6.5 JDJ.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I agree, though my 26" 6.5x30-30 AI (aka 6.5 Bullberry Imp) in a Match Grade Machine barrel is an exceptional performer and does everything the JDJ can do.

But there is much more load data out there for the JDJ, and dies are a little less expensive as well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ