THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT PISTOLS FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shopping for Large Bore Wildcats for Encore.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, I see some of you shooting really big stuff (358 Norma, 416 R, etc). I was wondering how many of you are shooting large bores a little less powder hungry, but still big power in a handgun? I am talking about cases equivilent to the capacity of the '06 (or .284). What kind of velocity have you chronographed? What loads do you use? What have you actually killed w/ these? .30, 8mm, .338, 375 x 284 and the same on the '06 cases, either improved or not? The reason I ask is not just another discussion, but I am shopping around and not yet sure what I want to do. Thanks.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the only thing I have at the moment is a 12inch SS Contender in .411JDJ. Full length 444Marlin necked to .41. Can't offer much help with info as it is still in the box on my bench. I intend to post results as I work up loads for it. I have two other .41 wildcats but I don't think they are what you had in mind with your post. [Smile]

Posts: 218 | Location: Sand Hills of NC | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<xp100hunter>
posted
Beartrack,
I use and have used 338 Win. Mag., 284 Winchester, and 7.82 Patriot. The first was in an Encore, and the other two are in an XP-100. I have used my 284 Win. XP (2750 FPS w/ 140 grain pill)the most with critters from PD's to bull elk. It has never let me down. The 7.82 Patriot (3,000 FPS w/150 grain pill) is primarily an elk pistol, but has also taken whitetail and javelina.
If you have any specific questions please let me know and I will try to answer your question.
xphunter

<awtc>
posted
416-06 JDJ seems to fit your medicine bill well. It is a 30-06 necked to a 416 and generates 3500 + Ftlbs! [Eek!] Check it out in Cartridges of the world. I had a 358-06 JDJ but sold it almost as new to a HHI member who posts here. He loves it. I shoot a 416 Rigby in encore by SSK.
[Big Grin]

posted Hide Post
You may want to consider the 41 caliber GNR #2 which is a 445 Supermag necked down to shoot 41 caliber bullets.

I have one with Gary Reeder's brake that is phenomenally accurate with 170 grain Sierras. I am not comfortable with much recoil and wanted something easy to handle and this one is a pussycat with the brake - using three grains less powder than Reeder's lowest load indicates, I get 2,350 fps with the Sierra 170's and they sure make bunnies explode. Reeder says that with the heavier bullets the GNR #2 has taken cape buffalo without any problem. Once you hear the bullet impact for the first time - you will get a new respect for the "flying ashtrays" that come out of the end of the barrel. Mine is accurate and capable out to around 200 yards.

http://www.reedercustomguns.com/tc/calibers.htm

Just my $.02 - - - good luck in your search!

Posts: 20 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 15 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Fireball221>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Beartrack:
Hey guys, I see some of you shooting really big stuff (358 Norma, 416 R, etc). I was wondering how many of you are shooting large bores a little less powder hungry, but still big power in a handgun? I am talking about cases equivilent to the capacity of the '06 (or .284). What kind of velocity have you chronographed? What loads do you use? What have you actually killed w/ these? .30, 8mm, .338, 375 x 284 and the same on the '06 cases, either improved or not? The reason I ask is not just another discussion, but I am shopping around and not yet sure what I want to do. Thanks.

Oh heck .....just have Dave.."Vanhorn" build you a 358 norma magnum....with a brake...and kill EVERYTHING you hit....and while you are at it scare off all your buddies with the muzzle balst!

Fireball

one of us
Picture of Sean VHA #60013
posted Hide Post
I have been very curious as to what the 376 Steyr (9.55 x 60 mm) would do in an encore [Big Grin]

-

[ 07-31-2002, 18:29: Message edited by: Sean HHI #7364 ]

Posts: 830 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote