Find
Notify
Tools

Re: noob's 1st question-Contender 30/30
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted
A "premium" bullet at that velocity is a waste and is generally asking for trouble -- with the exception of the referenced 30-30 Partition projectile. Yes, that RN Partition, designed esp. for 30-30 velocities, will open up out to 100 yards when launched from a 14" pistol barrel. But among the best bullets for this round are the Ballistic Tips, especially the 125 and 150 grain versions. At such pedestrian velocities as the round is capable, you will get excellent penetration and adequate expansion to the outer limits of the cartridge's effective range. The Single Shot Pistol bullets from Hornady and Sierra (IF you can find 'em) do quite nicely also.

Posts: 9360 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of boomer453
posted Hide Post
trying to find a good load for a super 14 30/30. need something for southern deer in the 50-100 yd range. Would like to use a premium bullet in the 150gr range but unsure of what will open up properly at 30/30 velocities.

A friend (benchrest type) recommended the RN nosler partion but i have my doubts about it opening up.

Thanks for any help.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Virtually every mail order place I checked has the 125 grain, 30 cal. BT in stock. Don't give up...

Posts: 9360 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post

Picture of boomer453
posted Hide Post
been an interesting expierience so far. i have had the gun for about 2 years, i put a simmons 1.5 x 4 on it and put it in the cabinet and never really got the chance to shoot it till recently. The simmons was absolute crap! at 25 yds off a sandbag rest it was 3" left and 2" high. 29 clicks on a 1/4 @100 yd scope to move it 1.5". Never would hold the same point of impact after that. I'm in the process of sending it back to the factory. If they can't/don't fix it what make/ model of scope would you recommend? I like the 1.5x 4.

Thanks

Picture of boomer453
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, i got the 125 BT at lockstock as well as an RCBS case trimmer. This will be my first go round with reloading pistol/rifle ammo. Been doing my own shotshells for a few years but looks like i need to buy more stuff.

Boomer