New
Find
Notify
Tools

1 Mile with a hand gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do you think it is possible to hit a target at 1 mile 5'x5'SQ with 5 shots with a specialty hand gun? The Hand gun would be a 338 Lapua IMP with a 17" barrel shooting 300g SMK. I am getting 3050 FPS with a 34" barrel and think with the 17" barrel I should be able to get 2600FPS+or- with the 300g bullet. I have all the parts for this project and it will be done the first of SEP.
Eric

Posts: 59 | Location: mi | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Eric-- just ran the info. thru Exbal--

1Mile= 1760 yds.

100 yd. zero= about 80 minutes correction @ Std. Atm. conditions for sea level. 10 mph wind= about 12 min

1) 3-12X Burris provides 28 min of total adjustment assuming a centered erector assembly.
2-7X Burris provides 64 min.
2) Burris inserts can provide 40 MOA correction.

3) I think Near Mfg. can custom make a Picatinny type base with up to 75 MOA of slope-- www.nearmfg.com

A 60" sq. @ 1760 yds. idealistically would require 3.4 MOA accuracy to hit every shot, but i haven't the slightest idea what that will practically equate to @ 1760 yds. even under totally ideal conditions.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 60 Moa base that is on the hand gun and will be using a rifle scope with 80 moa. I also have an adjustable base that has 80 Moa. One of the guys I shot with has a 150 moa base.
Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric,
The velocity will be the issue.I have a 300RUM in a XP 16" barrel.With the 180gr load out of my 700 PSS to my XP I lost over 600fps.I had to get the pressure way up there to get the velocity I wanted.Still blow primer pockets with in 4 loads.Throat errosion is very bad.
Since you have the scope,mount issue and bullet covererd.Recoil might also be a issue.I have no brake on mine.But it does weigh in at 8#.
With the larger bore you will not lose as much as I did(I think).J.D. Jones says 10% to 12% loss going from a 26 or so barrel to pistol length(16").So that would put you at around 2700fps.But you are going from a 34" barrel.The 338 Winchester does 2500fps with a 300gr pill,340 WM does 2550fps with a 300gr pill,the 338-378 WM does 2700fps with the 300 gr pill.I would guess that these are all standard barrel lenghts!!!So if this works then I want one too!!!!! Wade

Posts: 219 | Location: indiana | Registered: 07 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wade
I am thinking about using a 17" barrel with a brake but may go with a 18" barrel not sure yet the brake would be added on to the barrel length. The hand gun is going to be around 17# with a Bat action custom stock and lilja barrel.
Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Eric-- what kind of mounts and scope are u gonna put on that rig?

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun. Keep us posted. Never hear of a Bat action though. What is that? Slim

Posts: 19 | Location: Randle, WA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a project!! I struggle with my XP in 35 Remington @ 100 yards and your looking at a mile! Good luck & keep us informed!

Posts: 258 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am using kelbly bases and rings with either a Nightforce or a Leopold scope.

Here is Bats web page http://www.batactions.com/
Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
crowmag,

Will they sale you just a action registered as a pistol.If the action is made for a rifle it can not be made into a pistol.
The left handed action might be the way to go if they will.
next question is who is going to make the stock,did not see a pistol stock on the web page.just got my 50XP from SSK, McMiliian made it and took over 10 months.
Ok just thought of something me and the local gunsmith was talking about<getting a ruger 10/22 action not registered yet and make into a pistol.Can a gunsmith buy a action make into a pistol and then register it?????Damn it now you got me thinking again. Wade

Posts: 219 | Location: indiana | Registered: 07 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will you have this put together in time for the 1,000 yard shoot in September?
Look forward to meeting you and shooting with you.

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to Wyoming to shoot in Aug with my 338 Yogi when I get home the barrel will be shot out. It will be cut from 34" to 18" we will cut about 12" from the chamber end and chambered in 338 Nawakwa then cut to 18" and put the brake on. Should be ready for the shoot in Sep.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wade,
Don't You Just Love It?

Eric,
What shoot in Wyoming?

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ernie

I will be attempting to shoot a prairie dog at 2000 yards and 2500 yards on Aug 14-16 in Wyoming with Ric Horst.