New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil comparison
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, now that I have my Contender (sort of, the frame is back at the factory, danged hammer spring) I am contemplating my next barrel. While I have shot revolvers from .22 to .454, I am relative new to this handrifle craze. My father has a .444 contender that recoil is unpleasent at best. I have located a .35 rem barrel for $100 which sems like a good deal, but I wonder about the recoil. I've also spotted a few barrels in .375win, and I do love the straight cased cartridges, but I know very little about this round. I would love to have a .357max, but can't seem to locate one that's not attached to a frame. Could a .357mag be reemed to .357max? And how big of a project would this be? Sorry for the all the questions, but I'm a newbie so please bear with me.

Posts: 29 | Location: Del City Okla | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Buy the .35 Rem and if you don't like it, have it rechambered for a 358JDJ or 358Bellm. These are both formed from the .444 straight wall case with a short neck. They are both cannons and you will not need any more power than one of these for any thing in North America. I have shot the 358JDJ and it does 2600 FPS with a 225 and 2700+ with a 180. I have two JDJ rechambers and both shoot under an inch at 100 yds and with my 309 shooting 2.5" high at 100 it will hit dead on at 200. With a good scope and some Pachmyers you will not be unhappy with it. Just my opinion. I shot the .375 Win and it hurts but I have a hot rod 45-70 custom w/break that is all I want to shoot. [Eek!]
Mike
Norman, OK
Three of my favorite cartridges--
7-30 Waters, 309JDJ, 30-06
 -

[ 06-16-2003, 23:11: Message edited by: McClura ]

Posts: 311 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
I had a 358jdj it would only get up to 2400 fps with 225's.Now the 358-06 will get them up to 2600 fps.

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Vic L>
posted
T/C Nut,
I have an unfired newer 35 cal contender barrel I have been thinking of rechambering to .358 jdj for sometime now. I just can't seem to get off the fence. May I ask why you decided to let yours go? I also have an encore so I can go 30/06 or 308 but the jdj keeps me intriqued. Was yours breaked and does it really need it?

Thanks for any input.

Vic L

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Okiecruffler:
My father has a .444 contender that recoil is unpleasent at best. I have located a .35 rem barrel for $100 which sems like a good deal, but I wonder about the recoil.

Recoil with the 35 Rem is gonna be stout but not like the 444. Bullet weight and velocity (in a similar weight gun) gives you a pretty good idea on recoil. The 35 Rem will be similar to a 357 Herret or 357max.

quote:
I've also spotted a few barrels in .375win, and I do love the straight cased cartridges, but I know very little about this round.

Recoil would be similar to the 35 rem�.. 375 Win brass is basically a straightened 30-30 case. You can make them from it but 30-30 brass is a little thinner.

quote:
I would love to have a .357max, but can't seem to locate one that's not attached to a frame. Could a .357mag be reemed to .357max? And how big of a project would this be?

Mike of OTT can perform this rechamber at a nominal cost and might even increase the accuracy of the barrel as was the case with my 444 rechamber. The Max is a great cartridge and is a proven deer killer but can also be loaded down to 357mag levels or less. I personally like the max a lot. I am going to develop a �round ball� load for the max in the near future, this will give it a nice lite load for small game and plinking with Hornady�s .360� roundball.

HTH

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's easy to rechamber I might go that direction with the .357max. I've always wanted to play with that cartridge, plenty of components available. And 10 inch .357 mag barrels are everywhere. How do I get a hold of OTT?

[ 06-17-2003, 01:44: Message edited by: Okiecruffler ]

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 74 | Location: Jacksonville NC | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
As far as the 357 max, I've loaded as much H-110 and AA-1680 as I could under a 200 gr cast bullet. While both loads would achieve 1900 fps from a 10" tube, neither of them was abusive in terms of recoil.

I also had a 10" 357 Herret, and recoil was notably greater then the 357 Max.

I haven't fired a 358 JDJ, but have a shot a few 375 JDJ's, and they come right back hard into your hand, not the type of recoil I care for in a handgun.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<MePlat>
posted
I make sure I wear a Depends before I shoot those big boomers and hard kickers.
Also I have someone hold against me so I will not be knocked down.
Rubber pants wouldn't be a bad idea either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the Max, I think it's the best balance of all goods in the shorter barrels, and damn they are accurate with heavy cast bullets! Recoil is nothing to be concerned about, much easier to control than stout loads out of a short barreled 357 mag revolver.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I've decided to go the .357max route. Should I have my current .357mag barrel rechambered, or should I get a new barrel to rechamber for a dedecated .357max barrel. It would be nice to have a 14 inch barrel.

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Purty much take your pick. My max barrel is a 14" for the Competitor. Will help with velocity, expecially with the heavy bullets but does make a contender sort of large. Clear as mud i know, LOL! [Big Grin]

IMHO, the 10" max (or a 12") would be great! IF you are still considering a rechamber from OTT his website is www.mbmco.net .

HTH

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote