New
Find
Notify
Tools

XP-100 .280 Rem. rechamber ?
 Login/Join

<IKE>
posted
Now that I've traded of my 7-08 XP I've been kind of kicking around the idea of "rechambering" (not rebarreling) a centergrip 7BR into something I've never had in a handgun before....a .280 Rem.

I've had excellent accuracy from the 7-08 15" barreled handguns I've had in the past (two XP's, a Encore and a Striker), can I expect about the same level of accuracy from a .280 in the same XP standard length 15" barrel ?

The felt recoil of a 7-08 with 130gr to 145gr bullets doesn't bother me, is a .280 going to be any "noticeably" different using the same weight bullets ?

Give me some input fellas (pro or con) and help me decide.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ike,
I have never had an XP chambered in 280 but I do have one in 284 Win. The 284 case is shorter than the 280/06 size case so it is easier to set up your rig so you can extract a loaded round (even with a long throat) without having to remove the bolt. If you want the 280 case go ahead and Ackley it. You will end up getting 280 rifle velocities with your XP if you do that. If you want even a shorter case go with the 7mmWSM.
You may not have enough barrel thickness to rechamber to a 280 or 280 AI, but you shouldn't have any trouble with the 7WSM. Of course you will have some extra cost in opening the bolt face and be restricted to that or get another bolt in the future. I know JD Jones used to rechamber a 7BR to a 284, but I'm not sure about the 280.
xphunter

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
<IKE>
posted
XP,

Thanks for the input and it looks like a .284 may be a better way to go to get away from altering the bolt face.

I never even considered the loaded cases being to long to extract, on the .280, but if I'd put a little more thought into it I'd have remembered that I had to have a Sinclair external bolt release installed on my XP that was a rechamber from 7BR to 7 Intrl. (7 IHMSA) in order to get loaded rounds to extract.....they are 2.670 OAL.

Is your .284 XP a rebarrel or rechamber from a 7BR ?

What is your OAL and did you have to alter the gun to extract loaded cases ?

Now that you've "been there and done that" what are your overall opinions of the .284 in a XP ?

What bullet and powder are you now using ?....I was thinking along the lines of a 120 to 140gr bullet for deer and haven't really considered a powder yet.

Thanks again for the input.

<marrfam>
posted
what about a 7/08 improved? It would be very do able

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 284 Win XP is a rebarrel not rechamber. I really like it. I have taken everything from prarie dog to elk with it.
I don't have the oal on the case at the moment. I did have an external bolt stop/release put toward the rear of the action to unload a loaded round. I use 59.0 grains of H-4831 with a 140 grain Nosler B.T. (140 Partition for elk) with a Federal Large Rifle Match primer. Basically, my overall length is where the base of a Nosler BT is seated to the neck / shoulder juncture of the case. Chronographed at 2750 fps with a 15 1/2 inch barrel. This is a safe load in my XP (Shilen Select Match barrel). Please approach any loads with caution
One reason why JD hedged on the 7-08 rechamber was that he wouldn't always get a clean chamber since the 7BR is bascially the same as the 7-08, but shortened. You may not have that problem with the Improved version. I don't know the body taper difference.
I really love my 284 XP-100--It has been a wonderful performer for me.
xphunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ike,
My overall length with my 284 Win. Xp-100 is 3.120.
Since I wrote last night I began thinking more about what you may be wanting. If I was you, I would rebarrel the XP to get the taper and length you wanted and restock it & add a trigger job. Maybe even add a Vais brake. In other words, not only get a 284 Win (or other cartridge you want), but at the same time get it built exactly the way you want. Your 7BR may or may not be what you want in terms of accuracy. It may take you more time to get your pennies saved up, but the wait would be well worth it in my book.

one of us
posted Hide Post
IKE;

I have to agree with XP on this.Having one done with a custom barrel is the way to go.

I funds are a concern just put it up and wait till your ready.

But if you are in a hurry then I wouls think about 7mm on either a WSM or RSUM case.

The thing with doing a rebarrel job vs. rechamber job is just the cost of barrel and reblueing but then you can get stainless barrel.Unless you have it fluted or something like that.You have to pay for removing,installing,reaming and opening the bolt face.

Then you could call JD and ask him about his 280 JDJ a 140 bullet@2975fps.That is 200fps over what I get from a 7-08 cutom XP-100 with a custom barrel installed.And that is out of a Encore.But then you have to pay for dies.

My 7-08 with a 140 gr bullet at 2700fps is great deer medcine out to 300yds if I can do my part.

Wade

Posts: 219 | Location: indiana | Registered: 07 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ike I can confirm Ernies advice. I shot his xp at the Bower clinic in Alliance this year. After a couple of sighter shots I put 5 into 15" at 1,000 yards. This was a left handed pistol (I am right handed) that I never shot before. I also witnessed him put 5 into about an inch at 500 yards. Great cartridge, just kicks a lot. [Eek!]
Rich [Cool]

Posts: 139 | Location: Powell WY | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ike,
Whatever route you decide to go, Greg Tannel of Gre-Tan rifles only workd on bolt guns-it is his specialty. Check out his web page ww.gtrtooling.com I believe you will approve of his workmanship. I sure do.
xphunter
P.S. Kersey, Colorado is just outside of Greeley.

<IKE>
posted
Thanks a lot for all the replies and first hand advice and I may very well do as you fellas have suggested.....just either sell off a thing or two that is collecting dust or wait till I have a little extra jingle in my jeans to get a rebarrel as opposed to a rechamber.

Thanks again fellas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ike, i'm new to this web page, in fact new to the internet period for that matter, but i am xp's hunting partner, and we've logged some time together in the way out outback of Colorado, pursuing chucks, prairie dogs, and more than a few big game animals in places where the gun and shooting become only a small part of the hunt. I've just recently sent in an article to Dave Brennan at Precision Shooting magazine detailing XP's evolution through specialty pistoldom. If he sounds like an extremist, it's probably because he is, and of all the hunters/shooters I know he is the most devoted to his discipline. I have seen him do some things with a SS pistol that if I wrote about it would never get published due to Doubting Thomas's comments, etc.; but if he says something is so, it is just that, period. Anywho, I had Greg Tannel build me an XP 6.5-284 Win. recently-- but it's not enough (believe it or not), and I'm thinking about rechambering to a 6.5-376 Steyr (5-10gr. more capacity yet, so I've been told, although I haven't researched it yet), and although barrel life won't be too good-- at all, it should still give me the most energy I can get from a 15-16" barrel. Why not a 7mm-376 Steyr? That ought to be about as different as it gets,ehh? Contact Tannel for the specs.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote