New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting @ Ranges That Seem Almost Incredible
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How often do you consider 547 yards as the starting distance with a specialty handgun?
That is where Don Bowers will be starting you at if you can make it to the Bower Long Range Handgun Clinic, July 7-10 in Alliance, NE.
I am beginning to get hard commitments from shooters for this years clinic.
We are also going to be doing some things different than last year that will enable you to be better in field shooting for big game or varmints like coyotes.

Cost is $200. There is a $75 deposit (Pay the rest of balance - $125 @ the seminar, non-refundable unless Don okays it) to secure your spot in the seminar. You are responsible for paying for your own food and lodging. Don will be supplying guns, ammo and rest systems for you to use or you can shoot your own stuff.
Sixteen participants is the maximum number.
This is on a first come first serve basis.

Send deposit and make your check or money order to:
Ernie Bishop
5 Eastwood Drive
Hutchinson, Kansas 67502.
Email is ernie1@ourtownusa.net
My home phone # is 620-662-3669.
My office (Eastwood Church of Christ) phone # is 620-662-3923 Monday through Thursday.
If you have any questions feel free to e-mail or call me. Please contact me if there is a possibility of you coming to the clinic this year. We need to make sure we have enough ammo loaded for everyone. [Eek!]

Ernie Bishop (AKA--xphunter)

[ 05-02-2003, 00:07: Message edited by: xphunter ]

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ernie, do you have an itinerary for the match? I understand Don is more into the carbine now. Is he doing pistol and carbine both?

Thanks,

Posts: 98 | Location: MO, USA | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know where i'll be those days, with Exbal in hand, of course. I sure hope that Gerald Perry is geared up 'cause i think he just might sell a few more copies of his program-- maybe. There's nothing that raises the hair on the back of my neck more than a laser-ranged, computer and ballistic reticle-guided missile striking it's intended LR target-- Whooeee, that's fun! See you there buddy.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grey Eagle,
Don is still using 14-15 inch barrels and the longer barrels (carbine length) all with pistol grip.
I will have my XP's (250 Savage Imp.,6.5-284, 284 Win., and 7.82 Patriot) and my MOA (22-250 AI & 260 Rem.) that will be available for those to shoot also.
My MOA are 14 inch barrels and the 250 Imp., 284 & Patriot are 15 3/4 barrels and the 6.5-284 is a 17 inches.
Last year we ate breakfast (Was it a VFW? It was always good!), before we started.
Monday morning will be devoted to what Don calls the basics. There will also be some teaching on wind, mirage, etc. We (some but not all) will be shooting in the afternoon of the first day some. This year we will likley do the instruction out at the range which will be advantagous. Tuesday will start with a little instruction and a lot more hands on shooting. Students will be broken up in pairs (shooter/spotter) and will take turns shooting and spotting. Last year the starting distance was 500 meters. Everyone will shoot at this distance at the rams. Folks using their own stuff may have a more difficult time at longer ranges if they have a limited cartridge and if their mount/scope set-up is not conducive to shooting from 550-800 yards. Plans to bring a stump to the 800 yard mark for a traditional stump shoot that Don typically does in the mountains and there will be golf ball shooting and bullet splitting @ 660 yards. All of this takes time since you have to repaint and pick up your targets from time to time. During all of this you will be putting into practice what Don has been teaching and will have assistance if needed.
The paired teams will probably do a little fun competition with other teamed pairs to work at shooting under some stress.

An added component this year is to offer for those who are interested some information and tactics for field shooting whether it be long range coyotes or big game hunting. There will be one or two laptops there that will have Exbal loaded on it and we will show you how to optimize your standard plex reticule and or ballistic plex reticule and help you set-up your reticule to where you can estimate range with it in the field at unknown distances and wind, and then shoot at these unknown distance from the bench first and field positions second if you so desire at targets that have the same back to brisket as you would encounter inthe field. Maybe a good way to say it is sort of tactical shooting for game with a specialty handgun. Steve and I have always worked as a team (spotter/shooter) when hunting big game together. you don't have to do it that way, but it makes it easier. This part is not a requirement to do if you come but rather an option you can choose if you want to begin to increase your ability in this area.
One of the things I enjoyed the most was just being with a group of like-minded guys for four days and learning from each other. Last year on the last day some guys went prarie dog shooting. That would be a possibility, but I would encourage staying at the range, since it is not often you get to do this kind of shooting everyday.
Even though you won't shoot at big game at the distances you will attempt at the clinic, you will increase your shooting skills and confidence which will trickle down into your big game hunting and varminting.
We are also wanting to evaluate each year what we can do better, so as to better equip ourselves and others to be sustained shooters.

Ernie

one of us
posted Hide Post
does this price include my non-shooting spotter

Posts: 261 | Location: SW MO | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
<MePlat>
posted
I know I am probably stupid or something. But, I would be more impressed with seeing a shooter like Mr Bowers shoot offhand or with a field rest at more normal ranges than to see him group at extended ranges that most only dream of. Learning to use makeshift rests, shooting sticks or jackets rolled up and keeping shots within a reasonable group for 3 shots or so would impress me much more than 600 yds from a solid Benchrest with a rest almost like a machine rest.
To each his own. I would enjoy seeing Mr. Bowers shoot at 600 or 700 yds thats for sure but would be more impressed by his field shooting prowess probably.
What impresses you guys on this subject? Is anyone with me or am I going to be left out in the cold.
What about shooting a real thumper at normal hunting distances with field rests and maybe some offhand thrown in? Never discount offhand in the field because one never knows when the may have to use it.

[ 05-03-2003, 19:15: Message edited by: MePlat ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
not a bad Idea MePlat, why don't you send him your money and ask him to do this.

Posts: 261 | Location: SW MO | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
<MePlat>
posted
pokerplayer: I would rather for people to send me money as I have a good use for it.
I would like to see it but cannot travel to it and really have a better use for the money.
Now if it were free and he came to my area I will be in the front row.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Meplat, i had thought about what your speaking of, and although i haven't spoken to Don or Marc about this, it would be fun to improvise shooting using a bipod, knees or whatever to provide some experience as to what would be encountered afield.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pokerplayer,
I spoke with Don on Saturday and he said that a "non-shooting spotter" does not pay any clinic fees. But if he/she wants to shoot they need to pay. That is ony fair, since everyone else who is shooting has paid. I thought this would be his answer, but I didn't want to be presumptious.

Ernie

one of us
posted Hide Post
meplat,
One of the things that we will be doing this year is shooting from field rests like the ones you mentioned (for those who are interested in doing it). Ranges will probably be from 200-600 yards. It is amazing how accurate you can be with a proper field rest, even out to 600 yards given the right accuracy/cartridge/optic and being able to determine accurately the range. I am more of a shooter and hunter than I am a competitor too.

Ernie

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rates at the Days Inn (117 Cody Avenue, Alliance, NE) will be right at the same price they were last year, $45 per night (price includes taxes). The price stays the same whether there is one or two people in the room. Last year most everybody paired up to save expense. I currently have 6 rooms "locked in" at the moment, and can get more when needed. Most folks will actually check-in sometime on Sunday afternoon and a few others like myself will come in late Sunday night or early Monday morning.
Ernie

one of us
posted Hide Post
For more info, pix from last year's clinic, and a good look at a happy Ernie [Big Grin] click here:

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?category_id=42

You can pay your deposit online via my store if you want as an assist to Ernie and the success of this year's clinic.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have eight signed up to go to the clinic at this time. 16 students is the maximum we will take. Time is drawing near as the first week full week of July approaches. I'm getting excited the more I correspond with those who are coming. It is going to be great week. And remember as ole Sarge would say, "The wind is your friend."

Ernie