New
Find
Notify
Tools

HS Precision...any experience?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Considering an HS Precision and would like to hear from those who are shooting them. Do you order them direct from HS Precision or is it better to go through a dealer? Leaning towards a 260 Rem for critters from varmints up to elk. Anybody shooting one of these in this pistol? I notice on the website they do not list too many options. Would like to get a 17" barrel if possible. How would it compare to have a custom XP built (I would have to start from scratch on an XP project)? What do ya think?

AlanF

one of us
posted Hide Post
My buddy has had one for a while in 7mm BR. It shoots better than most varmit guns. Assuming they haven't made changes except for the better they are outstanding.

However, I shoot a .260 Encore, which I dearly love. Yet, if you are going to hunt elk, I would seriously suggest a larger caliber. 7-08 minimum, .308 is better.

I'm not saying that the .260 won't kill an elk, but there is no margin for error. 120-125 move in the 2500-2600 fps range out of my 15". That just isn't much "womp" for such large game.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Move up to the 140 - 160 grain bullets and there should be no problem with elk. The Scandnivians have been using the 6.5 x 55 loaded to modest velocities to take moose for over a hundred years. The 125 nosler partition normally gives about 30 inches of penetration if no major bones are hit. The 140s should do as well with major bones being hit in a premium bullet.

HS Precision guarentees accuracy and sends you a proof target with the guns that they build. It should do anything you want it to do within reason. Have it throated for the bullet that you will use the most or the one you want the most accuracy and velocity with and you will be happy...Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not own an H-S Precision pistol but several of my buddies do. They shoot them in IHMSA and NRA pistol silhouette competition.

Every one of them that I have observed has been very accurate. They have very well designed stocks. I like their stocks so much I have two of them on XP-100 pistols.

The actions are sound, the only drawback I do not like is that with the coned breach you have to sort of force the bolt closed compared to an XP action. Most folks get used to this right away.

For hunting the trigger should be readily adjusted to a good weight. For silhouette competition most guys elect to replace the H-S trigger with an aftermarket target trigger.

The folks at H-S are great to deal with. My buddy ordered one of their pistols sight unseen when they fist came out. It had not been delivered when he and I were near their plant in South Dakota. We stopped by for a visit and they were very cordial, even bringing out serial number 001 of those pistols for us to look at.

Great company, like I said I own several of their stocks that I have on pistols and rifles, both.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RH is correct about the swedes taking many moose over the years w/ the 6.5, but I'll tell you right now, its not the same as taking elk w/ a pistol.

The norma rifle ammo pushes a 156 gr. slug at just under 2600 fps, this is the most popular moose load over there. Your .260 out of 15" barrel probably won't do more than 2300 w/ a 140 gr. Elk hunting is often longer shooting than most moose hunting. W/ the 140 at anything like 200 yds, velocity is going to be nearing the point were terminal ballistics are unreliable w/ many types of bullets.

Here are some other variables: My cousins in sweden shoot almost exclusively from a stand w/ almost perfect shot placement every time, almost always less than 100 yds. Chances are you won't hunt elk this way.

Having killed many moose and few elk, the elk are far and away more tenacious animals. Shoot a moose through the boiler and it will hunch up travel 10 to 50 yards and fall down and die. I've had a cow elk double long shot w/ 160 gr. 7 mag run up a hill nearly a quarter mile.

Many experienced elk hunters & guides consider a .270 a "experts only" elk rifle because less than perfect shots often end w/ lost, but dead animals. A .260 in the handgun won't allow near the margin of error of a .270.

If your are willing to pass up all marginal shots, keep ranges short and bullets heavy, practice enough so that your shot placement is perfect - every time - the .260 will get you by. If not, look for a larger pistol round!

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting a 6.5 Minidreadnaught - a 220 Swift case with minimum body taper and a 60 degree shoulder - and I get 2,530 with a 140 Gr. Nosler Partition out of a 13 inch barrel. I could drive that bullet 100 fps faster than I am but 2 grains below the max was where I got the best accuracy.

The Sweedish government recently did some comparative tests on moose to see if the Sweed was still up to the task in light of the much more powerful cartridges now available. They recoarded the distances traveld and the number of shots required to kill thousands of moose. There was no corolation between caliber size and how quickly the moose died. The single most important factor in leathality was where the moose was hit, accuracy and the ability to properly place the bullet are number one in quick kills.

Another interesting development was that the 6.5 x 55 Sweed out penetrated the 375 H&H Magnum with 300 Gr. bullets with the load you mentioned. The 6.5 JDJ has taken a whole lot of elk even though JD doesn't consider it to be an elk cartridge. A 260 Rem is considerably more potent than a 6.5 JDJ, but if you don't feel it is enough, go with a 6.5 x 284. That case will give you 260 Rem rifle capability in a handgun length barrel...Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 14 inch 260 Rem barrel and it has taken one bull and a cow, both were around the 75 yard mark and were both 1-shot kills.
I would prefer the 6.5-284 for elk, since you basically end up with 260 rifle performance.
I am waiting for a 7mmWSM H-S pistol. I have never shot one of their pistols before so I do not know what to expect, but I do have several of their stocks on XP's and really like them.

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken 1 cow elk @ a little over 400 yds., 1 big Bighorn Ram @ 300 yds., and a goat at about 330 yds. with a 6.5-284 XP/129 Hornady SST. Actually goat was 140 A-Max. Every one died within 50 yds. of where they were shot-- all dbl. lung shots with the bullets exhibiting excellent performance.

This last season (3 weeks ago) i took a big 4X4 buck @ 320 yds. with another XP 7-270 WSM, with a meplat uniformed 200 gr. Wildcat bullet.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote