New
Find
Notify
Tools

fiftydriver
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I like the 35 cailber but the 375 is really a good cailber.

I think the 220gr in the 375 would get close to 3000fps.But the 35 i could go down to 110gr bullet plus the 225Nosler BT is very good.Over the counter dies and brass for the 375 is a plus.Plus the accubond coming out and plus the 260gr BT for the 375,the 35 goes to 250 and the 375 goes to 350.

So if you are interested in doing to for me.I will ship you the dies for the 375/284 and some brass.And maybe you can sell the barrel and install it on some one else XP.Then I can sell my 375/06JDJ barrel also.So let me know and if you want to do it when you will be ready to for me to ship it to you.

My local gunsmith knows that I was interested in doing this but with a 9 month wait.I told him that I was not going to do it for a while.I would much rather give it to you to do.

Posts: 219 | Location: indiana | Registered: 07 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Handcannon,

Well, you are probably right about the 375 being a bit better option since it is a factory round and much more cost effective in the die area. Also reamers would also be much cheaper for the 375.

It will be a while until I am up and running. We should break ground on the shop this comming week. Hopefully we will have it done in a month or perhaps a bit more. Once it gets close to being finished, I will get the major machines ordered and on the way.

I am still looking at a late August, early September opening so I will keep you up to speed on my progress.

It would be great to build your new cannon. What barrel are you thinking about using? I really like Lilja's barrels for use with soft bullets(partitions, B.T., or any conventional lead core bullets) if you plan on using the hard core bullets such as the X or Fail Safe's, we should probably go with a Hart or something on that line as Lilja barrels tend to be pretty tight bores, great for accuracy with conventional style bullets but pressures can run a bit with hard bullets.

Let me know your specific plans.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fiftydiver; just let me know when you are up and running and I will get it out to you soon as I can.

The chambring is still up in the air I think the 375RUM would be a great one.And a 50 is still not out of the question either

The barrel well I will be shooting Noslers,Hornadys,Serria,Speers and X bullets and anything else that I can get my hands on.I think that I will want as much barrel length with a damn good brake to get as much velocity and still be able to hang on to it.

Posts: 219 | Location: indiana | Registered: 07 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Handcannons,

Well, the last couple days have been very interesting for my in my goal of starting up an accuracy minded gunsmithing shop.

I got in contact with a metal machining company that was having an inventory reduction sail. The lathe I was planning on purchasing for my shop was reasonably priced machine that would easily handle anything up to and including the 50 BMG bench barrels.

This new company was selling a much higher quality lathe(much higher regular price) for three thousand less the the other machine. Not only is it a better quality lathe, it is also better suited for gunsmithing and will handle the big 50's even better then the other lathe.

To shorten up the story, there is a check on the way over night and the lathe should be here in a week to 10 days.

Its coming together my friend, sooner then I was expecting so far in fact.

Since you want to shoot the x bullet, I would stay away from the Lilja. THe accuracy will still be extremely good but the tight bore will limit top velocity.

If Pacific Precision was still owned by its original owner I would highly recommend them but it was sold and now do not make the barrels they used to.

About brakes, I can only say that the Holland Quick Discharge brake is simply the best recoil reducing brake I have ever shot. It is no lie that my factory 221 FB has more jump and recoil then either my 338 WSM or 7mm RUM. Muzzle blast, that is an entirely different story.

Well, just though I would drop you a line on the shop.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote