New
Find
Notify
Tools

V.V.C.G. 6mm T/CU Connected (Finally)
 Login/Join

<SD Handgunner>
posted
I have probably had the most miserable Hunting Season I have ever had. However Thanksgiving afternoon it all changed. We had been to my Sisters for Dinner (an hours drive from home), and intended on leaving early for the afternoon's hunt. Well one thing led to another, and we got a late start for home.

When we got to the turn off to go into the lake bottom to my stand I said to my wife and daughter "we either go in now without going home to change clothes, or we don't hunt this afternoon". They said it is such a beautiful day, let's go sit on stand.

So it was to be. We got all set up at 4:15PM (end of shooting time for the day was to be 5:22PM). It was a beautiful afternoon, sunshine, mild temperatures, and absolutely no wind. At about 4:45PM I watched a smaller Doe make her way out of the Rice Cane and out onto the meadow. She didn't have a clue we were there, and I had all the time in the world to get ready.

She fed out onto the meadow always perfectly facing me, not really offering the shot I wanted. I watched her, and even checked the range with the Nikon Laser RangeFinder (164 yards). I had just put down the rangefinder and placed the Contender on my rest when she turned broadside. I whishered to my wife and daughter that I thought she was too small. They in unison both replied, "the luck you have been having, you better take the shot".

The 3x12x Burris was on 6x, and the sight picture was crystal clear. Believe it or not the crosshairs were rock steady. I thumbed the hammer back and touched the 2 pound trigger. The 6mm T/CU roared and I heard the distinctive WACK of the bullet hitting it's mark. To my amazement, at the shot the Doe didn't just fold. I knew my hold was solid, as I was sure the hit was good. The Doe jumped, and when she came back to earth just started walking. I fired again, and again the Doe just jumped a little and kept walking ever so slowly.

After she had covered 30 yards she turned into the Rice Cane and disappeared. My heart sank when both my wife and daughter told me they did not see her go down, but rather just disappeared into the Rice Cane. There was a tree in the background where the Doe went into the Rice Cane, so I walked straight into the Rice Cane towards the tree. 5 steps inside of the Rice Cane there laid the Doe.

There was about a 10" diameter pool of blood on the ground around her nose. Upon field dressing I learned what had happened. I had hit the Doe right behind the front shoulder between two ribs. The bullet went through the lungs, and exited the off side clipping part of a rib bone. The Bullet (an 80gr. Remington Power Lokt Hollow Point at 2647 FPS Muzzle Velocity) didn't expand much at all if any. There was little trauma to the lungs, and the exit hole was barely larger than the Bullet Diameter. The second shot when she was walking hit low just in front of the rear hams, and also did very little damage.

This was the first game I had aimed this new 6mm T/CU at, and I connected. That has to be a good omen or something. As per the Barrel, I am impressed with both the velocity and accuracy I am getting with my FireForm Loads.

This barrel is a work of art, and my hat is off to Virgin Valley Custom Guns. Everything about this barrel speaks of quality. I that isn't enough, I ordered this barrel on Octiber 11th, and at that time Steve told me I could expect it around december 6th. Well my Barrel arrived on November 15th , just slightly over a month from the date of order.

Sorry this got so long, but after the way my season had went up to this point, I had to share my joy.

Larry

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats on putting venison in the freezer. I am about to leave for a hunt Friday morning with my 15" 6x45 from VVCG, and it, too, is impressive. As to bullet selection, the Rem PLHP is accurate but not the best way to go, esp. at the velocity level you are working at. The 80 grain Sierra Single Shot Pistol was designed for just such use and performs splendidly. I have used it for more than a decade and have always been pleased with the performance. My current loads develops 2709 fps, and I know I can count on proper expansion to any range I plan to try a shot on a deer. The next best bullet is the Sierra 80 grain BT Blitz, which performs virtually the same as the SSP. I've tried every 6mm bullet out there that's suitable for use in the single shot pistols, and nothing comes close to the Sierra SSP. From prairie dogs to deer, it has become my primary bullet when using the little 6mms.

Posts: 9343 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Good job!
I know how frustrating it is to have a barrel to try out & not get an opportunity for a shot. Glad you stayed calm & got it done. The only suggestion that I might have made would have been a different bullet for your application. I see that Bobby already gave you a couple to try out. Congratulations on hanging in there ! [Big Grin]
Rich Jake

[ 12-02-2002, 01:12: Message edited by: Rich Jake ]

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
CONGRATS!! Nice Shootin! Another deer droppepd to a Handgun! [Wink]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
<SD Handgunner>
posted
Thanks guys, yes it was frustrating, but I guess I am just a little stubborn also, and wasn't about to give up.

As per the bullets, I ordered these for fireforming, and really had no intention of shooting a deer with them as I didn't think I would have this barrel ready for deer season. On a whim I decided to try them after the barrel showed up early.

In the past I had always used the 80gr. Speer "Hot Core" Spitzer, and have never tried the 80gr. Sierra SSP Spitzer. However I will give them a try next year.

Thanks again

Larry

PS, 2002 marks the 20th year I have hunted Deer with Speciality Handguns, and considering the year I had this little doe was as exciting as the first one ever taken with a Handgun.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Larry-
The 80 grain Speers seem to do fine at moderate ranges but are just a tad tougher than the Sierra SSP. However, my usage of this bullet has been far less than that of the Sierra SSP. What have your experiences been with the Speer 80 grainer, including some of the details, if you don't mind?
Thanks!

Posts: 9343 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
<SD Handgunner>
posted
Bobby

My uses with the 80gr. Speer were many years ago. In fact I think the last deer I took with one was 8 years ago. The one I remember the most was a smaller buck (3x3) that I took on the last evening of the season. He was standing broadside to me at exactly 300 yards. I knew he was a long ways out there (but didn't really know how far until after the shot) so I held a ways over his back. The bullet took him in the shoulder about 3" below the top of the shoulder, ripped up the lungs and exited through the off side shoulder leaving a exit hole about the size of a tennis ball. The buck dropped in his tracks.

In a different instance I took a decent 4x4 Buck at 150 yards right behind the shoulder. I don't remember if a rib was hit on entrance or exit, but the lungs were destroyed and the exit hole was about the size of a 50 cent piece. There have been other deer taken with this bullet, but these are the two instances that stand out in my feeble mind. I know a guy really should document this kind of data.

One of the things about the 80gr. Speer that intrigued me from the on set was it's .365 Ballistic Coefficient, and the fact that it retains it's velocity quite well. In addition it has always been a very accurate bullet for me. On the other hand, I also tried the 85gr. Speer Spitzer Boat Tail, and it zipped right on through without any signs of expansion. I have also used the 85gr. Nosler Partition, but never did get the chance to take a deer with it.

I will be trying the 80gr. Sierra Single Shot Handgun Bullet on Deer in the 6mm T/CU. The one thing I have learned in all my years of handgunning is that getting rifle bullets to expand at handgun velocities is much harder than getting them to penetrate.

Thanks

Larry

<Paul Dustin>
posted
Larry how long is your barrel. I have a 16 1/4 barrel and can push a 80gr Remmington PSP at 2906fps this bullet works good out to about 180yds.If you would like my loading data e-mail me and I will send it to you