New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a good bullet for 357 Herrett
 Login/Join

<Paul Dustin>
posted
I would like to know what is a good deer bullet to shot out of a 357 Herrett 10" BBL

one of us
posted Hide Post
My .357 Herrett is 14", but I use a Sierra 170 JHC for Mule deer. It shoots very well in my barrel. The 180 FPJ Sierra is also very accurate for heavier game. I use it for elk.

Bob

[ 07-09-2002, 22:13: Message edited by: mranch ]

Posts: 162 | Location: Yachats, Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 14" 357 Herrett and have used the 180 Speer bullet exclusively. Out of the 14" barrel it is getting comparable velocity to a 35 Remington in a rifle. I have never had this bullet to fail me and have always had exit holes. Deer hit with this bullet have never gone far and some have dropped like they were poleaxed! In your 10", I believe I would consider the advice in the previous post or possibly try the 180 Hornady Single Shot bullet. By the way in a 10 or even a 14" barrel, I don't think there is a more efficient round made and it kills out of proportion to it's recoil. After shooting a super 16" skinny barrel in 45/70 the 14" 357 Herrett seems almost like a 22. [Smile]

Posts: 98 | Location: MO, USA | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
It has been several years since I have reloaded and or shot a 357 Herrit, but the one I had did not any of the lighter bullets. Some os the 160's worked, but the 170's and 180's were where the performance was.