New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk about fast!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got an e-mail from Van Horn today. He said my 358JDJ was shipped out yesterday. He received my order on July 1. Now thats quick.

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
<awtc>
posted
Ya mean 358X444 HeHe. [Wink]

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That is extremely fast. Now you'll have that awful wait to endure as you watch for the brown truck to arrive...

Can't wait to hear how it does.

Posts: 9355 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HEHE got the bbl in 2 weeks but the dies are backordered for 6 months [Eek!]

Really tho that is great turn around time and if that bbl is as good as advertised I think Dave Van horn can put a feather in his cap Ya?

Wes

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Fireball221>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Jules:
I got an e-mail from Van Horn today. He said my 358JDJ was shipped out yesterday. He received my order on July 1. Now thats quick.

Always been that way for me also Jules....He has done Rechambers for me and from the day he recieved the barrel he had completed the work and shipped it out to me on the third day!
And his work has been EXCELLENT
Fireball [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
He may have been doing a batch of 35s at this time and I just got lucky. He didn't really say how long it would take when he got my order. Only that he would get on it right away. I did pay him the full amount up front though..as I always offer to do.

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
does he have a web site?

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Hey Jules
I can't wait for your report on the barrel when it arrives. Please let us know right away.

Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outlaw, He does but I haven't been able to log on it. I think it's under construction at this time. I've been trying for a couple of days.

You bet Rich. I already have quite a few rounds loaded up. I sent a once fired and resized case from my 14" 358JDJ for Dave to cut the chamber, so I'm hoping the loaded ammo I have will work ok.
I bought a Redfield SMP mount but no scope yet.
I'm waiting on a 1" reamer so I can line ream the 3 rings. Mike says this is much better then lapping and i'll give it a try.

<Fireball221>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Jules:
He may have been doing a batch of 35s at this time and I just got lucky. He didn't really say how long it would take when he got my order. Only that he would get on it right away. I did pay him the full amount up front though..as I always offer to do.

"mygunroom.com"......I think!

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KTS1:
HEHE got the bbl in 2 weeks but the dies are backordered for 6 months [Eek!]

Really tho that is great turn around time and if that bbl is as good as advertised I think Dave Van horn can put a feather in his cap Ya?

Wes

Wes, I hate to spoil your fun with Jules, but you don't need custom dies for .358 JDJ.

Just for the record in case anyone else is interested, use .358 Win size die to neck down .444s to locate the shoulder. Use the ..358 Win. seat die to seat bullets.

Resize fired cases with the .358 Win size die, and WHEN the time comes to size the cases on down to the web area, simply run them through a .444 Marlin size die.

If one has a .375 JDJ die set, the size die from it will size the case body also, at least to the web area. There are apparently two sets of shoulder diameter dimensions for the .375 JDJ, and the larger of the two may not size the shoulder area of the cases, but should size to the web area ok.

This arrangement is actually a bit better than using just a full length size die since using the .358 Win. die to size the upper part of the case and locate the shoulder leaves the lower part as fireformed for a close fit in the chamber. If cases do not freely reenter the chamber after sizing with the .358 Win size die, simply run them through a die that sizes down to the web area.

Mike

P.S. How is the .25-35 internally fluted barrel doing? Did my reamer clean it up enough, or do I need to lap it out for you? No news is good news?

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P.S. How is the .25-35 internally fluted barrel doing? Did my reamer clean it up enough, or do I need to lap it out for you? No news is good news?

HEHE Now that was something else eh?
And all this time I thought that is what custom fluted meant [Razz]

Truth be told, I have been spending most of my summer fighting this damn cyatic nerve pain, and sitting at the bench has been less than fun,
I did load up 5 rounds to check those internal flutes, by golly looks like they are gone.
Still have the idea of getting back down there for some shooting this year and another chance at stealing one of your bbls. (I been training Karen on how to be more stealthy [Big Grin] ) it just all depends on the ol' leg and whether I have a job or not when this is all over, course if I don't have a job I'll have more time for shooting HMMM.
Thanks again for the lessons Mike and for showing me the horrors of T/C bbls up close. [Eek!]
Wes

Thinking about it you did lap that chamber out a bit when it was there.
And by the way, how is Dee doing? Haven't heard in awhile

[ 07-13-2002, 21:28: Message edited by: KTS1 ]

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote