Notify
Tools

METALOY
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jffrybrght
posted
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

WELL, JUST GOT BACK MY 2 BARRELS I SHIPPED TO METALOY FOR REFINISHING IN THEIR "CHROMED" VERSION. ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW!!!! EASILY AS GOOD, OR BETTER THAN SSK'S KROME JOBS. AND AT ONLY $18.00 AS COMPARED TO SSK'S $65.00, IT'S A NO-BRAINER! Got the barrels to them 2 weeks ago to the day. Should've known this about 5 months ago when I had 3 of JD's barrels "Kromed".
Jeff

[ 06-04-2003, 01:28: Message edited by: jffrybrght ]

Posts: 411 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you really surprised to learn that like most everything else from SSK, you are paying for a lot of blue sky..... blue sky over JD's "field testing" safaris, aka letting you have the experience via proxy?

Metaloy also does bluing, in case you want to have your barrels reblued. Ask Steve about it. Does good work, as you noted!

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jffrybrght
posted Hide Post
Mike, you are absolutely RIGHT! But, thanks to the wealth of info on this forum, and guys/gals spreading the word about services from other folks, we are all gonna' benefit and perhaps drive those high prices down....MAYBE
Jeff

Posts: 411 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
COULD YOU TELL ME HOW TO CONTACT THEM ---- I MAY GET SOME BARRELS DONE ALSO ---- THANKS

Posts: 5 | Location: COVINGTON, GA. | Registered: 23 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
Metaloy Industries
3430 Hwy 143
Berryville, AR 72616

Best to call by phone for info.

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
What [Eek!] $18.00 BUCK's Crap.I'm going to send off some of my barrel's [Big Grin] Does their finish match well with stainless steel frames?

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
Yes, IMHO also the Armor Alloy frames.

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
Thank's [Big Grin] Looks like I'll call them and send in a few barrels.

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
I took a carbine barrel to Metaloy this morning and will post what I think after getting it back. If I like it a heavy 23 inch 17HMR is next.

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Tommyn
I am anxious to hear your opinion of their work & do you think you could post a pic of it????
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Rich Jake you bet. I will send a picture to Mike and he can post it. He said it well be about two weeks. I'm having a Virgin Valley 6x45 barrel treated.

one of us
Picture of jffrybrght
posted Hide Post
Rich, here ya' go. These are two I got back 2 weeks ago.
Jeff  -  -

You could not really tell if they were s.s. or chrome, that's how nice the finish is.

[ 06-20-2003, 13:09: Message edited by: jffrybrght ]

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Jeff
Thanks a lot, I like the look of the finish. Especially with the SS Frame which is what I have. It kinda opens up other barrels as possibilties with the new finish. I know you've only had it a few weeks but I wonder how durable it is.
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
VERY durable, Rich.

Of course, if you use it for a crow bar...........

It's an industrial grade hard chrome finish. Nothing will come near that for durability and ease of care aside from pure stainless IMHO. The various Teflon type coatings are just "coats of paint" which I didn't think much of. I had Metaloy blast a Gun Kote finish off and Hard Chrome my last barrel. Like night and day!

I have an SSK Khrome barrel since 1991 and just had a Metaloy job on another one since last year. No probs.

Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had a frame done yet I have 2 blue ones that I would like to do and then several barrels.

KenTN

Posts: 140 | Location: MEMPHIS, TN USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Rick Jake I got my Carbine barrel back tonight and I am very pleased with it. Looks great and I have a 23 inch 17HMR that is next.

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
tommyn or anyone
Have you guys fired the barrels after the job was done? any difference in the performance of the barrels?
Rich Jake

one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Rich Jake I talked to him and he said he plugged the bore. It shouldn't make any difference. I cleaned the inside of the barrel today and was it dirty. I'm going to shoot the barrel tomorrow as I have a day off and where better to spend it than the range. Everyone have a great evening.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quick Tip:

Metalloy your trigger and striker for a smoother trigger pull.

Best to remove really rough spots on each first, but the chrome finishes sliding against each other are much, much slicker and smoother.

Next time you send a barrel to Metalloy, include the trigger and striker.... shouldn't add much to the cost at all, but will be an easy way to get a much better trigger pull!

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jffrybrght
posted Hide Post
Rich, yes, the barrel was very dirty on the inside. I even had to smooth the hinge pin hole up a bit. ( some rough spots from the finish I guess), but performance of my 6.5 JDJ was the same as before, minute of golf ball at 100 yards.
Jeff

one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Rich Jake just got back from firing the 6x45 barrel I had coated at Metaloy and can't tell any difference than before it was done. 17 HMR barrel is next and a frame also.