New
Find
Notify
Tools

Las Vegas Style shooting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone has any thoughts on how one can defend ones self from mass shooting either terrorism driven or mentally ill or sick individuals ?

I am worried about copy cats.

I tend to stay away from crowds, concerts etc.

But this stuff is occurring to much to dismiss it as a random event.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure - avoid masses....

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Avoid masses, IF you have to go for some reason, make sure you are either near an exit or near something that might be used as cover or concealment. Even though concealment is not cover, I don't think I recall any of the mass shooters just shooting at things that didn't look like people. If you must move during the happening, wait for the reload, if possible.

Just a few, but I'm someone will say it is full of shit.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Random acts of violence cannot be stopped nor avoided, because, by definition, they are RANDOM!

What if the LV shooter had pre-planned driving a large dump truck filled with sand to kill people at the concert venue? Could he have killed 59 people? Perhaps.

Premeditation does not preclude the act from being classified as random.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
I usually have a SBR AR-15 in the truck or a Steyr AUG. I carry a Glock 9mm and extra mag and I try to stay away from crowds. I also have the training not to panic and run but attack the threat and get out of the ambush/kill zone!

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 460 wby shooter:
I usually have a SBR AR-15 in the truck or a Steyr AUG. I carry a Glock 9mm and extra mag and I try to stay away from crowds. I also have the training not to panic and run but attack the threat and get out of the ambush/kill zone!

Pretty tough to respond to a threat somewhere in a multitude of sky scrapers, especially at night. Duck and cover.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Had an announcement on the radio concerning this years ACL fest here in Austin. Now no ice chests,back packs,folding chairs,ad nauseum + metal detectors at all entrence points. The Austin City Limits music fest was always a cluster fuck before;this sounds like just more of the same.For the life of me I can't understand what makes people act that way.I know there were instances in the past of mental instability behavior but the one I remember best as to starting this trend was the Tylenol poisoning.My generation would never even think of such a thing.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My generation would never even think of such a thing.

Unfortunately the shooter in Las Vegas was YOUR/Our generation. May he rot in hell.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentle now.old shep. I suppose that I can take this as a beuatiful photo op.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
My generation would never even think of such a thing.

Unfortunately the shooter in Las Vegas was YOUR/Our generation. May he rot in hell.

He was 63yoa unless your 20 plus years older he could be of the generation.

There have been mass murders from every generation.

I am glad I live in a very rural area hardly ever travel to urban ones.

But that does not make me perfectly safe.

We have several doings around here with about 10.000 attendees.

Open air on the streets. When I was a working LEO we were thinking and planning,

But when it comes down to it if some one is really determined to attack. you well have to be really lucky to stop him before.

A lot of the time the best one can do is stop them shortly after it started,

But even then given just a few min. a lot of damage can be done.

Personably I am armed every day with a effective sized pistol I do not carry sub sized fire arms the smallest is a glock 19.

Would it have helped with a situation like this no.

In a lot of others maybe so.

Situational awareness playing the what if game. Training practice all comes into play.

As I have told my children don't act like a squirrel in the middle of the road. Act otherwise you well get run over.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are both right of course.I retract my statement to read that MOST of us would never think about putting poison in Tylenol bottles or do these horrendous acts against innocent civilians.I do not advocate but do understand the twisted mindset of the terrs in the mid east as a religious fatwa or whatever is the word of the day.Any rabid dog has to be put down.Although this is all reprehensible,at least with the rugs I can see a reason(although misguided);not so with these resident psychos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We travel a lot. Go to a lot of places and do a lot of things. We were in Barcelona last December after our hunt. My wife asked me what I was looking at. I told her that if she really wanted to know, I was looking for a way to get the hell out of there if something happened. She shook her head.

Fast forward a few months. Some crazy bastard killed a bunch of people in Barcelona very close to where this exchange took place. She remembers the exchange very well.

I carry almost all the time. Obviously, there are some places that one can't. Carrying would not have protected against this nut case in Vegas.

I think we all have to decide how we are going to live out lives. I am going to continue to go where I want to go. I am also going to continue my long standing practice of looking for a way out and/or some form of cover all the time.

My wife now admits that she notices me doing this. I have no plans to change.

Pay attention ALL the time.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After one of the latest incidents in a carry state , the anti-gun media is complaining that those who carried and drew their guns were interfering with police work.
No comments about who they were and what training they might have had.
There of course is the chance of the police looking for a "man with a gun "and seeing and shooting you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is an answer. Someone that is hell bent on doing it, probably will. Being armed yourself, might help.
After 9-11 the Air Force base here has all kinds of "security measures" in place, but really they are just show. Someone wants on the base, drives up with gun in lap, poor guard has no chance. The base has miles of chain link fence. That wont stop a truck from driving over it.

Same same at airports. Great show. Frisk an 85 year old man in a wheel chair. Get real. They might detect a gun with their other checks and certainly most of the measures they take are needed. But they go overboard. To me there is a difference in profiling and history. We learn from history, why else are kids required to take it in school? Apply that learning. Do 85 year old men in wheel chairs hi-jack planes?

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To me there is a difference in profiling and history

Profiling works it is just not politically correct.

Police officers who work an area know who most of the bad guys are.

A well train security agent, police officer well pick up on clues. Then focus on those people who show them.

Political correctness makes this country and other less safe.

Situational awareness is huge realizing what is happening sooner is better then later.

Many, many times I heard from victims I didn't think it was happening or could happen to me.

Training, mind set, skills and the proper equipment to save your self or yours.

There is a very good reason I carry a effective sized fighting handgun instead of a small one.

Yes I have carried very small handguns I don't any more. Maybe as a BUG (back up gun) On the job my BUG was a S@W 3913 a mid size handgun.

If your serious about armed self-defense one carries the best tool for the job.

Or one can just play the odds and say nothing well ever happen to me and not carry at all.

Because when one does the math except for a few jobs and a few high crime areas. The chances of you being involved in a nasty situation is slim to none.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
After one of the latest incidents in a carry state , the anti-gun media is complaining that those who carried and drew their guns were interfering with police work.

Total BS and fake news.

Here is the police spokesmen, Nothing to indicate there was a problem with citizens other then the shooter. they had a picture out with in minutes of the shooter.

They ID and arrest the suspect 14 hrs later 2nd video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_lYxCdVs_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRlsUeUqu5k

I would like to see the wal-mart security videos but haven't found them yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider that the Vegas incident, where the suspect operated from a static high point is but one scenario. Whatever your planning consists of, don't forget that suspects in the past have executed several types of tactics. Many, if not most of these incidents include the fact that the suspect runs among his victims, shooting them as they lie in place. The point is that we must evaluate and debrief the actions of the suspects in each case in order to develop an assortment of meaningful counter measures.

And...your vulnerability may change several times during a single event. You may be walking among a crowd on a sidewalk, waiting in line to enter a concert, sitting inside the concert, or walking in/out of your hotel, entering/exiting a cab.

Heads up. Active ping. Be aware.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote