New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why wouldn't this be Castle Doctrine?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Clearly, the dumbass quoted below in bold is "very against" staying alive and cares more about criminals who would break into his home and rape his wife and murder his children than the victims. Roll Eyes

Double fatal shooting in San Marcos may fall under Castle Doctrine
09:51 PM CDT on Friday, September 4, 2009
By NOELLE NEWTON
KVUE News
A fatal San Marcos shooting may fall under the castle doctrine. Two Luling teens are dead, one is in the hospital and another is in jail.

Early Friday morning crime scene tape surrounded a home just a couple blocks away from Texas State University. Police say it's the result of a home invasion robbery carried out by four Luling teenagers.

"Three of the suspects were armed, one with a handgun, two with what we were later to find out were pellet guns, but very realistic looking,” San Marcos Police Chief Howard Williams said.

San Marcos Police Chief Howard Williams says the teens burst inside the home. There were three people inside; a college student, and two men, one of which was armed.

"He opened his bedroom door. When he did, one of the suspects in his living room pointed a weapon at him. He fired on the suspects in his house,” Williams said.

Two 16-year-olds died, another is now at Brackenridge Hospital with serious injuries. Williams says 17-year-old Frank Castro escaped uninjured, but is now in jail charged with aggravated robbery.

A roommate who was not home at the time and did not give his name says the men involved are taking it really hard.

"Physically they're okay mentally not so well,” he said.

Police will now see if this falls under the castle doctrine. It gives homeowners the right to defend themselves with deadly force. It's fairly new on the law books and not everyone agrees with it.

"I would be freaked out if someone came into my home and I don't know if they’re going to rape me shoot me, yeah. I can see where the homeowners are coming from,” Texas State student Kate Harris said.

"I'm sure it was in self-defense, but I'm very against that because they took two lives and who knows if this kid in the hospital is going to survive,” student Alejandro Salazar said.

Police say they do not anticipate filing any charges on the shooter. Castro is in jail with a $50,000 dollar bond.

Here is the link in case:

http://www.kvue.com/news/local....14b51c63b.html?npc#

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ol' Alejandro needs a good slap upside the head!

Anyone that breaks into someone's home brandishing a weapon is fair game in my book. And the other two that died? They just learned a very serious lesson in "Cause and Effect." And it's 100% certain they won't do it again!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Alenjandro is a typical self-important college student. Nobody cares what he's "very against" or very for.

'Bet the road trips from "el barrio" of Luling to San Marcos are going to be way down.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cazador humilde:
Alenjandro is a typical self-important college student. Nobody cares what he's "very against" or very for.

'Bet the road trips from "el barrio" of Luling to San Marcos are going to be way down.

thumb

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that it does fall under the Castle doctrine which basically says there is no obligation to retreat if one is in ones own home (other exceptions can apply as well eg. motel rtoom) I am surprised that this is "new" in Texas though!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I am surprised that this is "new" in Texas though!
Peter.

Me too....that's exactly why I posted it. Seemed like a no-brainer that these morons got what was coming to them under Tx law. I was a bit wild when I was their age, and I did some "bad things", but not home invasion with a weapon while the people were home.

Some lessons are learned harder than others, Alejandro may find that out one of these days.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, I thought that Texas had a law that basically said that if you found your wife in bed with another guy you could plug him! I am not sure about her though? Against that, the castle doctrine seems a little tame!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't have mattered if there was or was not a "Castle Doctrine", this is an obvious case of self defense and will or would be no billed by any Texas Grand Jury. I would bet that it is never presented to one since the justification for the shooting is so clear.

Loss of life is always regretable and affects the shooter more than most people realize but these kids asked for it and they got it. The other two, one wounded are lucky they survived.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
The other two, one wounded are lucky they survived.

We had a similar situation here in Ca. The surviving perp was charged, and convicted, with murder.

Our law states that if you use a gun in a crime that ends with a death you can be charged with murder. So robber #1 was killed by the homeowner and robber #2 was charged in the death even though it was the homeowner who killed robber #1.

I can't believe Texas does not have this law also.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JBrown, that's called "felony murder" ,someone dies as a result of a felony. It may be a heart attack of someone during a robbery etc.I think most states have this law.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
The other two, one wounded are lucky they survived.

We had a similar situation here in Ca. The surviving perp was charged, and convicted, with murder.

Our law states that if you use a gun in a crime that ends with a death you can be charged with murder. So robber #1 was killed by the homeowner and robber #2 was charged in the death even though it was the homeowner who killed robber #1.

I can't believe Texas does not have this law also.

Yeah, someone dies during the commission of a felony and it's "felony murder." That's pretty much standard law.

Castle Doctrine -- You're not required to retreat nor construct "self-defense" for justified shooting of a home invader.

If the perp is in your home (motel room, tent, boat, RV, motor vehicle if your "living" in it -- as in "car camping" . . . ) you're justified in shooting to defend the integrity of your domicile.

Not required to retreat. Not required to be in a "self-defense" situation.

Home invasion, armed -- Two dead, one hospitalized. All of them perps. Sounds like the law is working.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this would be the Castle Doctrine......

Bear Attacks Colorado man inside his home
(AP) – Sept 11, 2009

ASPEN, Colo. — A man was attacked by a large black bear in his Aspen home in the latest in a string of violent encounters with the animals this summer in the mountain community.

Colorado Division of Wildlife spokesman Randy Hampton said the man had gone to the first floor of his home to check on his three barking dogs when the bear struck him in the head.

Hampton said the man did not suffer life-threatening injuries and was being treated at a local hospital. Wildlife officers are expected to talk to the man Friday morning. Hampton said it's unknown how the bear entered the home.

Wildlife officers are searching for the bear in the neighborhood and have set up a trap in the area. The bear will be euthanized when it is found.

"These are large, powerful animals. You certainly don't want to end up in this situation, especially in your home," Hampton said.

Wildlife officers in and near the resort town about 200 miles west of Denver have killed at least nine bears so far this summer because of their aggressive behavior. Area police have responded to about 200 bear sightings in August, up from 16 last August.

Hampton said "it's been incredibly frustrating" for wildlife officers to have to deal with the increased bear activity and have to euthanize the animals because people are not disposing of trash and storing food properly.

In addition to trash, Hampton said an abundance of fruit and crabapple trees in Aspen are also attracting bears. He said bears are particularly active now because they are preparing for hibernation, consuming about 20,000 calories a day and spending 20 hours a day eating.

The man's name was not released.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote