Notify
Tools

Do You Open Carry?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
What Impala #03 said.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
YES, IT MAY BE LEGAL TO OPEN CARRY IN YOUR STATE,BUT DO WE NEED TO PUSH THE ENVELOPE? WHY UPSET THE FOLKS AT THE RESTERANT, MALL, AND OTHER PLACES OF BUSINESS THAT MAY OR MAY NOT AGREE WITH THE LAW? LETS NOT GET THE SOCCER MOMS OR ANYONE ELSE ALL RILED UP FOR MORE ANTI-GUN LEGISLATION. A LITTLE COMMON SENSE MAY GO A LONG WAY TO HELP YOU (US) INSTEAD OF FLAUNTING YOUR (OUR) RIGHT.

Well, now, I am not so sure about all this fuss being made over this issue. If you have your wringer washer on the front porch, your transmission in the bathtub where you're cleaning it, and you graduated from grade school, with honors, at age 18, I guess it is OK. sofa

But thinking this through a bit more, does open carry mean that your 1911 is in the holster with the slide back? bewildered

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:

But thinking this through a bit more, does open carry mean that your 1911 is in the holster with the slide back? bewildered

WUT?

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I wear briefs. no boxers and no commando.

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do You Open Carry?

Only at political rallies. Big Grin

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I don't know if any of you guys noticed, but today there is a major syndicated column in many newspapers. The subject? Indirectly at least, it is "doing away with open carry rights".

The columnist refers to an Obama speech at which a number of people showed up with LOADED firearms in plain view. When, as a reporter, he asked them why they did that, the answer he generally got was to the effect "Because I can!".

I don't deep down really like the columnist's conclusion, but he does have a good point...that "Because I can" is hardly a logical, sensical reason to open-carry a loaded firearm to a political rally regarding health care where emotions are high already. To most citizens, it would likely appear more as a threat to our President.

So, he argues, maybe we should do away with the unrestricted right to open carry.

Honestly, I doubt the subject of firerms would even have arisen in his column if it wasn't for the questionable reasoning of those firearms owners.

Just remember, you may win a battle and still lose a war...any war, including gun rights wars.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In WV we can carry "open," but I have no desire to do that for the unwanted attention it will surely bring about. We are a "must issue" state providing you meet the basic criteria which is basic. Many years ago it required you appear at a hearing w/ judge and be scrutinized to carry concealed, did that, and now that it is quite easy for law biding residents/citizen to be armed, I would think the concealed aspects more desireable than open carry.
I have had all the Glocks, S&W autos, 1911's, etc. and some years ago switched to the basic Ruger Blackhawk 45LC w/short barrel and carry cross draw style under shirt tail or jacket and have absolute confidence it it. The longer it stays tucked away there the better, have no desire to point it at anyone.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
In AZ open carry rarely raises an eyebrow. In NC, it is a bit more rare but not really cause for alarm.
I guess folks are concerned that peaceful protest will eventually morph in violence once arms becomes commonplace. Which is ironic since that is exactly what happened when the SDS morphed into the Weathermen. I guess Bill Ayers was able to educate the left that weapons are only a problem when the opposition has them.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...have no desire to point it at anyone.

CCW people never do. It's only in the fevered minds of liberals that this stupid misconception exists...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a cop, NRA life member.
Don't have a problem w/open carry...it let's you get shot first while I'm getting to cover w/my concealed pistol.
When out on my place in Rocksprings I still carry concealed....the 4 legged varmits don't know the difference but the 2 legged one's will be surprised

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The law on this matter is mildly interesting, but mostly irrelevant. This is a tactical issue. Open carry is tactically foolish. So what if you've made your point about the law? You're a dead man.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
Open carry is tactically foolish. So what if you've made your point about the law? You're a dead man.

Ok, I'll play. I'll grant you that point.......assuming you are facing a determined and proficient opponent. But, then again, a determined and proficient opponent won't have much trouble with the average CCW guy running the streets either. If it is your average miscreant looking for an easy buck, simply not looking like food will remove a person from that guy's selection process.
Look at this from the point of view of the people who commit the vast majority of violent crime - morons. They aren't calculating the odds of a concealed weapon coming into play. They are physically sizing up what they can see and making a snap determination -food or not food? That's all.

Remember, counting on the element of surprise presupposes that you expect attack. I would say open carry folks (of which I am not one) presuppose that it is better to not look like food at all rather than travel around like a Q ship waiting to get hit.

If open carry=death then the death rates for law enforcement would be a shade higher, dontcha think?
I'd argue that the reason cops don't get mugged, raped, or murdered at a higher rate than the general population (I'll leave out assault only because the opponent need not initiate contact with an officer to get charged with this) is because cops don't look like food. Obviously, criminals don't respect the law or the uniform, ergo it must be the gun. Conversely, I bet if we run the numbers, most cops who are murdered on the job are killed by an opponent who is prepared for armed combat before the officer is. If that were the case, a concealed weapon (as opposed to an open duty sidearm would not have helped in the first place.

Chet

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh.... ?

There is no game to play here.

Open carry and law enforcement? Diffierent issues.

Open carry and being safe? Open carry and staying alive? Open carry and having your shit in one sack? Go on, brother!!

There is no "game" to play here. Open carry for the private citizen is about the real world.

Self defense is simply that. Self defense. The law, and whether or not law enforcement personel carry "open", have nothing to do with this conversation. Nor does the 2nd Amendment. Or any other local law. Or any other statistics.

It's about staying alive.

Self defense for the private citizen is a tactical question. Nothing more.

One can go about their world thinkng and dreaming about the "Clint Smith--Gunsite--Blackwater" approach to life. Others live in the real world.

If you are serious about protecting yourself and your family, well, then.... You'll figure out the best way to do that.

All the rest is fluff.

Simply fluff.

The last word? Here. It's yours...........

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Ahhh....It's a discussion, chief. Why so tense about it? If you don't want to post, don't post.

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
We are required to carry concealed here in Alabama with a carry permit.
Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
We don't have it in FL and I sorta wonder why, since we were the first state with "shall issue" laws.

I prefer to carry concealed, although I usually use a vest and most crooks will probably shoot the guy wearing the vest first.

We use to have it Jetdrvr but lost it when the Legislature wrote the new 'shall issue' concealed carry language.

There's a petition movement to restore open carry:
http://www.flopencarry.com/

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
at least we're not talking about those silly kangaroo pouches some people wear with the pouch in front. About the third time out, they sag so the handgun bulge is visible. If I were homicidal, that's the first asshole I shoot. You get an extra handgun and ammunition that way.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
quote:
walking into a church, shopping mall etc with visible gun will cause panic !! Too many people become hysterical at the sight of a gun or knife

Coming from another LEO, since 1986.

If the sheeple saw Citizens (intentionally capitalized) carrying openly, often enough, without causing harm to anyone, that reaction would fade away.

I carry open, in uniform, every day. Out of uniform, if I am wearing long pants and a belt, I carry open. Non-LEO's are not allowed to do this in the backward state in which I live.

On hot (MOST) days, I wear shorts and carry a triple pouch fanny pack, but not around my waist. I carry it on my left shoulder, and keep my S&W M66 and two speedloaders in the pouch nearest my body. My cuffs and a knife are in the center pouch, and my wallet, checkbook, pens, papers, chewing gum and other miscellaneous crap is kept in the outer pocket. This prevents any printing of the outline of the objects reserved for "serious social occasions".

But, dang it, my wife keeps kidding me because my purse is heavier than hers!!!

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I stopped in the Diary Queen in Gainesboro TN the other day for an ice cream cone. (A town about 20 or 25 minutes from me) looked at the cover of newspaper and they had just put up signs that says no guns in the city park.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just looked at the link that SGraves155 has in his post about open carry. I live in Connecticut and we cannot open carry. You can get in trouble if pistol prints on your shirt or jacket and someone came tell it is a firearm

Posts: 269 | Location: South East Florida | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave sorel:
I just looked at the link that SGraves155 has in his post about open carry. I live in Connecticut and we cannot open carry. You can get in trouble if pistol prints on your shirt or jacket and someone came tell it is a firearm

You might want to reread that article and check out this one. You CAN open carry in connecticut.
http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/Law/firearms.htm
Look under Gun Permit Issues

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griz78 Thanks for the link.The law does say open carry. I would not push it.One statement in the law ( Board of Firearm Permit Examiners, dictates that (1) “every effort should be made to ensure that no gun is exposed to view or carried in any manner that would tend to alarm people who see it) says don't do it. Anyone here who sees a gun in open carry will tend to be alarmed.The law enforcement will find something to charge you with that may cause loss of permit

Posts: 269 | Location: South East Florida | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
You're choice, so do what you feel comfortable with. Sounds like you can open carry but they really wish you wouldn't. I think the quote is refering to someone who might accidentaly let his/her firearm to become exposed while CC. Most of your typical sheeple will think "Uh.. GUN! Uh.. Why he hiding it? Uh...He no look like cop. Uh...He must be bad person. Uh... him gonna kill everyone in store! Me tell and save day!!"

But when you OC, you have nothing to hide. That's what really pisses off the greater than thou sheeple. People are still gonna be alarmed, but the assholes are the ones who are gonna look at the gun and dismiss the fact that you are doing something other than robbing a store.

They'll cause you trouble and enjoy every minute of it. So, do you want to exercise your right to OC or not deal with the possible headache? There's nothing wrong with either choice.

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote