Find
Notify
Tools

How do you like to carry?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
Which method of carrying concealed is your preference? Loose in a pocket, ITWB holster, shoulder holster, tucked behind your back. etc.? Which method do most people you know use?

Please notice that this question is for PREFERENCE of DIFFERENT people, and as such will invite different answers and reasons. This is not a setup for someone to comment on how stupid it is to carry a certain way. These posts are for learning about different POVs, not to bolster egos of assholes.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
ITWB 1911 Combat Commander 45 ACP.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
ITWB 1911 Combat Commander 45 ACP.

Yeah, me, too, but also OWB with a bush vest and also most times a pocket .38 in a holster. Sometimes a pocket .357.

I also have my Salvadoran rig, two OWB holsters left and right with two Commanders. That's if I'm going to Miami or Orlando.

An old man will kill you...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
IWB with a Springfield Armory 1911A1 Loaded. In really warm weather I'll IWB a subcompact 1911 in the same holster under a T-shirt.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Most of the time it's a Taurus 605 in a London Bridge Tradding Company Fanny Pack, once in a while it's an Uncle Mike's shoulder rig under a denim jacket. Sometimes it's on the Beretta 92 on my belt under a jacket/open carry, depends on where I am and what I am carrying.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I most often carry when concealed IWB in a Summer Special. Wether a 1911 or a 4" N Frame Smith. I fine it is the most concealable, comfortable way to carry.

For a BUG, a 5 shot S&W in a pocket holster is my favorite.

When in the field I usually carry crossdraw, which enables be to get to my handgun if seated.

Also in bad weather I can zip up the bottom zipper, or leave the bottom button[s] undone on my coat and still get to my handgun.

In a lot of situations I have used Eekershoulder holsters as well, from a 2" S&W 38, to an 8&3/8ths" S&W. I have even worn ankle holsters a fair amount, but never for a primary handgun.

There are not many ways I have not carried a handgun, short of in a "body cavity"....

But I find IWB best all round.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
Pocket holster in shorts with S&W 642 or Colt Defender. OWB anytime I can cover it with a coat. Sometimes IWB and I'm gonna start doing that more with the Defender. Sometimes ankle holster.

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As the previous and insightful answers indicate, there is no simple answer to this not-so-simple question.

What kind of environment, conditions, weather, anticipated activity, clothing, ultimate application of force, etc, etc, etc?

The answer to each of the foregoing requires myriad answers. Then, and only then can we consider first what gun to carry, and then how to carry it.

There is no such thing as "daily" or "routine" carry. If one goes down that path, one makes sacrifices along the way. Various conditions require various applications.

Sometimes a so-called "mouse gun" stuck in the pocket or waistband without a holster---or an IWB Commander sized auto or small revolver---or an OWB, under an outer garment rig---or sometimes a waist pack---or fanny pack---or ankle holster---may be appropriate. It all depends.

For the everyday carry of a concealed personal defense weapon, the best method of carry is to combine the following:

the most effective and reliable firearm with which you are comfortable and proficient,

in the largest possible caliber,

in a rig that is the most accessable, concealable and comfortable.

It's really up to you to try as many methods as you can in order to become the most comfortable and proficient as possible. No one can answer this question for YOU.

Best of luck.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If I'm wearing trousers with belt loops, I wear a pancake holster and an untucked shirt, If no belt loops, I hear a belt and ITWB holster against my skin and the trousers pulled up over the pistol with the butt sticking out and an untucked shirt.

If I'm dressed formally which is not very often, I usually wear a shoulder holster but I have to say, I find it helluva uncomfortable.

Firearm is an ADP in 40 S&W.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IN HOT WEATHER, A WALTHER PPK 380. WEARING A COAT OR VEST IN COOLER WEATHER, 1911 45 IN A YAQUI SLIDE. OUT IN THE FIELD, THE YAQUI SLIDE OR A SHOULDER HOLSTER. I ROUTINELY CARRY A PPK 380, KIMBER 45, BERETTA BRIGADER 40 S&W OR A S&W M57.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
These posts are for learning about different POVs, not to bolster egos of assholes.

Muzzling freedom of expression, are we? Maybe being an asshole is why you think you have to carry?

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBBruce:
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
These posts are for learning about different POVs, not to bolster egos of assholes.

Muzzling freedom of expression, are we? Maybe being an asshole is why you think you have to carry?

As usual, you've posted, but you haven't answered the question. How do you like to carry concealed, BBBruce? Let's hear it.

Depends on what I'm carrying, but I carry ITWB with some handguns, in a shoulder holster with others. Sometimes its convenient to simply pocket one of my smaller revolvers for a quick trip outside of the house.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today, here in the Rockies at 8000 feet it's 85 degrees, bright & sunny. I'm going into town wearing a polo shirt and shorts with cargo pockets on the thighs. So I'll drop my Smith 3" 5 shot into the pocket on my strong side. The gun will be in a leather, open-topped pouch that fits squarely into the pocket. The pouch makes "speed" an issue, but it keeps the gun stationary inside the pocket. The velcro pocket top also makes speed an issue. But I'll be able to move about easily and without fear the gun will be seen, and retention will not be a problem. I can tuck my shirt in or leave it out if I like.

In contrast, last night, I carried a Kimber Pro Carry ITWB of my levis, on my hip, just a little to the rear, under an outer garment. Movement was restricted, stealth was an issue, and retention was a potential issue. But speed was not.

One of the most comfortable methods for me is my Smith 3" 5 shot ITWB, between my belly button and my hip bone on my strong side. Carrying it here, against soft flesh, rather than hip bone is easy, comfortable, and allows for good speed. But this creates a series of choices that involve gun/ammo combinations, choice of wardrobe, stealth, retention, and movement.

No matter how you do it, you're going to make choices and sacrifices along the way.

The good thing is that it's fun to work these things out.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TWL:

One of the most comfortable methods for me is my Smith 3" 5 shot ITWB, between my belly button and my hip bone on my strong side. Carrying it here, against soft flesh, rather than hip bone is easy, comfortable, and allows for good speed. But this creates a series of choices that involve gun/ammo combinations, choice of wardrobe, stealth, retention, and movement.

QUOTE]
The first time I tried appendix carry I was using the wrong holster just to experiment and it was still faster than any hip or rear carry I have tried.
With an untucked shirt and the right gun /holster combo, I doubt there is anything faster than appendix style carry.
It also makes good sense for conflict that takes place within arms length. Your arms stay in front of you and you can draw easily even on your back.

ChetNC

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of doctorxring
posted Hide Post

Summer carry rig --

"Smart Carry" type holster. P40 and a PM40.

Two guns are better than one, especially if
one goes Tango Uniform.

Happiness is a tight group

Posts: 1524 | Location: Don't Mess With Texas | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P14 in a Sparks summer rig, small of the back.
Like American Express; don't leave home without it!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Most of the time lately in warm weather it's a Kel-Tech 3AT on the stong side in a Desantis pocket holster (to keep it in proper position). Winter time means more pockets (jacket) so I often have my S&W J frame in my jacket pocket. At line in the store or wherever my hand is in the same pocket.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:

As usual, you've posted, but you haven't answered the question. How do you like to carry concealed, BBBruce? Let's hear it.

I wonder if was carrying concealed when he shot the bear. Big Grin

Oh shit, I almost forgot. 22mag NAA in the pocket, 1911 and SP101 on a paddle, shirt untucked. My damn blue jeans shrunk again, my IWB is useless, but the button on my trouser is a concealed weapon. Eeker

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
1911 Colt Government in a paddle holster with shirt un tucked in summer time and winter light jacket over the pistol.

Most clients I guide dont even know I carry a pistol. Its always cocked and locked...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCW in two states (contiguous and not reciprocal). Most of the time I carry a folding Husky utility box knife.

If/when I go someplace where I feel the need to be armed, it's a Smith 629, 4" bbl. and 44 mag. with an AK-47 in the truck.