New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the revolver a done deal??
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
5 hits from a 5 shot revolver is better then 15 misses from a high capacity auto.

I don't see getting 5 hits with my 442 in the chaos of a sudden attack, maybe 8 or 9 out of the hi-cap auto if Athena granted me a very lucky day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PriseDeFer:
quote:
5 hits from a 5 shot revolver is better then 15 misses from a high capacity auto.

I don't see getting 5 hits with my 442 in the chaos of a sudden attack, maybe 8 or 9 out of the hi-cap auto if Athena granted me a very lucky day.

I dare say you need more practice then.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yep

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is a number of good reasons for packing different firearms, its never been written in stone.

In the USfS, at times I packed a 6" 44 mag. and a 375 H&H on occasion, when unloading a trapped bear..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dunno. I've carried nothing but either a Glock 19 (90% of the time) or some sort of 1911 variant (the other 10%) for 25 years but I recently bought one of the new Colt Pythons with a 3" barrel, just because it is so damn pretty. I'm looking for a good holster and some lower profile grips. I think it may be a good carry piece.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15050 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, check out Kramer holsters. Their horsehide OWB belt scabbard holsters are top tier. They are molded, ride a bit high and cover the hammer spur so it doesn't gouge you. I have one for a S&W mod 66 and am currently waiting on delivery for another for a 1911.

Horsehide is stiff and thinner than cowhide. I really like mine.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
Mike, check out Kramer holsters. Their horsehide OWB belt scabbard holsters are top tier. They are molded, ride a bit high and cover the hammer spur so it doesn't gouge you. I have one for a S&W mod 66 and am currently waiting on delivery for another for a 1911.

Horsehide is stiff and thinner than cowhide. I really like mine.

+1
Kramer holsters may not be fancy tooled leather but if you want a holster that retains a firearm and is really tough their are no better. They are specifically molded for the only one model and barrel length of pistol. Very popular with the local law enforcement here too.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several things come to mind, one it yes a auto packs better in my pants waste where I carried it all the time in DEA on the streets of Dallas, San Antonio and on the Texas border as did most of us in US Customs and DEA as well as most of the Mexican officers..My last six years of LE was in the USFS and Marihuana erad. IN Mexico I packed a Browning daily and my combat mod 19 raiding Herion and coke labs, off duty a chiefs special, so always felt all my pistols had a place for everything. never found one that fit as an all-around...I love my granddads 45 Colt and packed it on a number of occasions. It shot so damn well I just couldn't leave it home all the time..

There is a time and a place for a firearm pick, and it might be a rifle or shotgun..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
Have more revolvers than autod, EDC carry changes sometimes a auto,many times a s&w 638 or 642. Sometimes a Ruger sp101 9mm with full moon clips

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see their demise anytime in the future. My carry piece is a 1911, but I still keep beau coup wheel guns about.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I think autoloaders are more likely to be restricted by our “benevolent” overlords than revolvers, and for most situations that CCW is needed, the revolvers are just fine.

I just shoot autos better.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the revolver done not with the results I had yesterday.

I ran about 60 rounds through my 2 in S@W model 10.

Even with my old eyes and the short barrel it hit where I was aiming.

The last 12 shots were for group at 15 yards double action. At a rapid fire pace.

Those results were eight in one ragged hole, four just out side that hole for a group size of two inches.

All 12 would have been in the one hole if I would have slowed down.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Back in the late '60s a friend of the family was a police officer in a big city.

Even as a kid I knew a lot about guns and have frankly been fascinated by them since I picked up my first copy of Guns magazine and read it cover to cover at 11 or 12 years of age.

One time when we stopped by for dinner, our friend the cop had a Browning Hi-Power in an OWB strong side hip holster laying on top of his stereo cabinet (remember those?).

Never shy, I asked him if he would show it to me.

He said sure.

He took it out of the holster, dropped the magazine and jacked a round out of the chamber.

He had removed the magazine safety (as he told me), so it could be dry fired without the magazine. He let me do that a few times.

I wish I still had the eyes and nerves I had then.

He told me most cops carried revolvers, but he liked the Hi-Power for off-duty. He hated the magazine safety and took it out and pitched it.

I asked him why he liked the Browning.

He picked up the loaded magazine (I still remember it was full of FMJs) and handed it to me. It felt heavy.

Then he pointed to it and said - right there kid, 13 damned good reasons!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We could probably make an entire forum site on one's 1st introduction into the "gun culture". I know that in my youth, there were several gents that took the time to help with my indoctrination, as my Dad didn't hunt (except with a fighter jet) + my Mom was deathly afraid of guns. But from my earliest memories, I have had a fascination with guns. Nothing wrong with that,that I can see.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In response to the wheel guns defence over the semi-auto, I recall the comments of Bill Jordan ,to wit, " O'K. , you + I are adversaries, (you carrying a semi - auto + me carrying a revolver + we meet in a dark alley. Fantasy question here, but maybe not.
We both pull our pistols at the same time + we both have a hang fire. Now, who is going to walk out of that alley?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
In response to the wheel guns defence over the semi-auto, I recall the comments of Bill Jordan ,to wit, " O'K. , you + I are adversaries, (you carrying a semi - auto + me carrying a revolver + we meet in a dark alley. Fantasy question here, but maybe not.
We both pull our pistols at the same time + we both have a hang fire. Now, who is going to walk out of that alley?

Why to many scenarios to say one way or another.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True that. If ifs + buts were candy + nuts, what a merry Christmas we'ed have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love wheelguns. They have their place.

But I love semi-autos, too.

Many years later, I bought a Hi-Power.

The first thing I did was remove the magazine safety! Cool

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my current Hi-Power that was a police trade in from Bueones Aires, Argentina + it seems that their P.D. thought that a good idea + I concur.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also removed the Mag safety on my Hi-power decades ago.

Better trigger and one can fire it with out the mag a slow loading single shot is better then nothing.

But back to the subject at hand.

I carry a revolver most everyday on my daily exercise walk. I don't feel under armed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Always an interesting conversation, the one thing Im sure of in my own mind is survival and open carry will make you the first target and will not be a deterrent to someone thats a "killer" and a killer with a gun, needs killing.. A concealed firearm is your ace and ticket to survival as you own the high ground and own the show..and no fast draw is required, if you shoot when you need to, if you cannot then get out of the way and find cover..

Detergents are for the politians to lead you down the yellow brick road while they sip a toddy at the mayors office. Whoever said I would rather be tried by twelve than carried by six, was spot on..You could not pay me enough to be a LE officer in todays society.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not at all. Revolvers, in the hand of someone who knows how to use them are a great carry gun. A well trained man with a revolver isn’t far behind someone with a pistol for the first five or six rounds. Statistics say most encounters, the majority will be well under five or six. The only issue I see these days is many videos of of multiple armed assailants using high capacity weapons - at that point a handgun with higher capacity and quicker reloads is far ahead of 5he revolver. That said situational awareness is waaay more important than most people think, it may be better to escape the situation if possible but one generally needs some for warning to do that IF possible. Lots of variables and lots to consider and train for IF one is serious about self defense.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only issue I see these days is many videos of of multiple armed assailants using high capacity weapons - at that point a handgun with higher capacity and quicker reloads is far ahead of 5he revolver

With them missing a whole lot.

Put a lot of rounds towards your target doesn't accomplish much unless you hit it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve always had a warm place in my heart for revolvers. It was in 1966 or 67 that I traded a Carcano rifle for a High Standard model 101 nine shot 22 revolver. It was my squirrel gun for years and taught me much about revolver technique. Had many handguns over the years and never strayed much on wheelguns and 1911’s. My most recent purchase is a stainless Ruger GP100 44 Spl.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When there are multiple assailants armed with high capacity arms it doesn’t matter all that much in close quarters battle because the more they shoot the more likely you are to get hit.
The attack is generally comes as a surprise so unless your situational awareness is a bit ahead of them you need to keep moving and not be a stationary target. As far as getting hit, it matters not if it’s by accident or they are good shots you may be dead either way. If you are moving, you will likely be missing too so your ammo will possibly be gone quickly. In those cases it’s better to have more ammo. In a contact struggle I see the revolver as better because you just pull the trigger again and don’t needs two hands to clear a malfunction. No matter how you plan and how you train these things seldom if ever go as you think they will, even if you were to initiate contact, it’s fluid and there are man6 possibilities and unknowns. Not like in the movies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When there are multiple assailants armed with high capacity arms it doesn’t matter all that much in close quarters battle because the more they shoot the more likely you are to get hit.
The attack is generally comes as a surprise so unless your situational awareness is a bit ahead of them you need to keep moving and not be a stationary target. As far as getting hit, it matters not if it’s by accident or they are good shots you may be dead either way. If you are moving, you will likely be missing too so your ammo will possibly be gone quickly. In those cases it’s better to have more ammo. In a contact struggle I see the revolver as better because you just pull the trigger again and don’t needs two hands to clear a malfunction. No matter how you plan and how you train these things seldom if ever go as you think they will, even if you were to initiate contact, it’s fluid and there are many possibilities and unknowns. Not like in the movies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, the Mexican police in general shoot fast, an idiom in spanish among them is translated to spray and pray, and its damned effective, we condim it they praise it..All I can say is they should know, were just guessing cause it makes since to make every shot count, oh well it is what it is..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ahh, the simple perfection of a Smith & Wesson Model 10 4-inch heavy barrel. Some years ago we were awash in police turn-ins of these fine revolvers and they were dirt cheap. Did I buy and keep one? Nooo.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir , those a smiths that were selling so cheaply are among the most well made handguns of all time. Real deals and fun to shoot. I have some and treasure them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WERE selling for cheap is right, now they are through the roof. Bill, several years ago when APD was transitioning over to semi-autos from wheel guns, they had a dbl. Booth at the Colosseum at the Austin Gun Show + were selling all their wheel guns for $150.00 each. Did I buy a bunch? Of course not, + have kicked myself for many years until I came to the realization that even if I had bought a supply of them, I would have already turned them. No point on delving on past mistakes, unless it is to learn by. And I think I have; but by then, our old pal Murphy does let us find any more deals. Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
YES, back when I was in law enforcement our PD was getting rid of our Smith and Wesson revolvers, mostly Model 10s and Model 15s for $ 125.00. We were able to buy ours if we wished and I did BUT I could have purchased many others of the guys that didn’t want theirs and I passed. Really dumb not to have bought them and there were many beauties.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's not forget the D-framed Colt Police Positive Special - the smallest, lightest .38 Special 4-inch barreled service revolver ever made.

And, of course, there was its 2-inch barreled brother, the immortal Colt Detective Special.

Both of them as light as a box of feathers and both of them true six-shooters in .38 Special.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of missed deals, back in 1972 APD was doing away with their motorcycle trikes, with the box in back. If memory serves, these were 1947 1200 CC Harley's that were going for $75.00 each.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Colt 1911s springfields 1903s were $7.50 and $14.00 thru the NRA. I bought a passel of them, simi customed them and sold them thru the mail and didn't keep one damn record nor was I required too, we had no gun laws that I recall, none!! Didn't need them until later after we passed all the laws.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colts

I think this was a steal.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Colts

From my research on colt pricing at 750 each fairly average.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Colts

Hmmmmm. Did you factor in the absolutely mint condition?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Colts

Hmmmmm. Did you factor in the absolutely mint condition?

Hummm did you factor in auction cost, SH, FFL fees and sales tax

Hummmm do they have the box and paper work.

My like new in the box 1973 cobra prices from the hundreds to over a thousand plus depending on condition ect.

The 3 screw like new non converted with magnum cly Ruger single six with box and all the paper work prices any where from 500 to 1200 I sold mine for 950.

Condition ect ect how bad one wants one all goes into the price factor.

We all have reason why we buy or sell. If one wants the highest price one waits bit longer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would put the retail value of a classic, 3rd issue Detective Special like the one linked above, in mint condition, at $1,200.

A classic, 3rd issue Police Positive Special like the one linked above, in the same condition, I would put at $1,000.

Those seem to be the arm's length, going retail prices these days.

Having the box would be a plus and would add some marginal value to each.

I would not put a 2nd issue, early '70s Cobra (with the "modern" shrouded ejector rod and ramp front sight) in the same category. I would say retail is $750 if minty.

Now, as for a classic, 1st issue Cobra, styled like the Detective Special linked above and in mint condition, I have seen those go for $1,200.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Price is in the eye of the seller and buyer.
If the seller is happy and the buyer is happy at the time of the sale.

Then the price of realized at that time, was what it was for both.

That doesn't mean the cannot change either higher or lower in the future