Find
Notify
Tools

Best cross draw holster for a 1911
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I find most holsters darned uncomfortable in an automobile and some make it difficult to get to your pistol/revolver when seated. I have no experience with them but it just seems like a cross draw holster, especially when you are behind the wheel, would be the most appropriate. What is the consensus for best cross draw holster on the market today for a 1911?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink

Take a look at the De Santis Sky Cop. I have not used that particular holster, but I use their dual action hunter crossdraw a lot.

Another choice is to wear your normal carry holster and have a "driving" holster.

The driving holster is put on after you are in the car, it fits cross draw and is designed to be easilly attached and taken off your belt. It carries the gun almost horozontal, in a very comfortable position.

It is designed only to be worn while seated, when you get out of the car, you ut your gun in your normal holster and take the driving holster off.

I have a Driving" holster made by Ross Leather in South Sfrica for an N frame Smith.
It works very well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Bianchi Cyclone. It is very handy on a horse and stays out of the way when fly fishing.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Tony definately has the experience to give an opinion on this one.

What I use is a surplus aviators holster from Cathey Ind. It stays out of the way just fine but that driving holster Tony mentioned sounds even better.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Wink

Take a look at the De Santis Sky Cop. I have not used that particular holster, but I use their dual action hunter crossdraw a lot.

Another choice is to wear your normal carry holster and have a "driving" holster.

The driving holster is put on after you are in the car, it fits cross draw and is designed to be easilly attached and taken off your belt. It carries the gun almost horozontal, in a very comfortable position.

It is designed only to be worn while seated, when you get out of the car, you ut your gun in your normal holster and take the driving holster off.

I have a Dreving" holster made by Ross Leather in South Sfrica for an N frame Smith.
It works very well.

I like the idea of an easy on off horizontal carry holster, but the Ross Leather web site doesn't seem to show the model you are referring to, or maybe there is more than one Ross Leather? Any lead on how get one?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Galco paddle. It's adjustable for angle and is gun-specific..and I carry a 4.25" Smith 1911 under an untucked shirt...nightime...or under a sport coat during office hours with no print of any kind. If you do need to take it off, it is very quickly removed. I have had to take mine off and stick it in the briefcase or leave it in the car when going to sites/buildings where concealed carry is not permitted in my state...no worries. There are some drawbacks not being rigidly fitted to a belt, but the pluses outweight the minuses in my case and it does fit snug enough.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink

Just Google ross driving holster, and a few sites will come up that sell them.

Remember this holster IS NOT designed to be worn except while seated. It is not for walking around.

However, I have worn it on a "few" trips [@ 15 to 16 thousand miles of driving] using it for a S&W 44 Mag Mountain Gun.

I like it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, did I miss something? If so, please help me.

You asked about a cross draw 1911 holster suitable for driving. And based upon that simple and reasonale question---you got answers?

I guess I missed something.

Real world need?

Are you right or left handed?

Does your 1911 have an ambi-dexterous slide lock?

Full size? Commander? Officers' model?

What kind of vehicle do your drive?

Do you drive all the time, or do you sometimes ride as a passenger?

Front seat, back seat, right side or left side of vehicle?

Two door, four door?

How necessary is it for you to exit your vehicle quickly?

Is this a simple "vehicle hijacking" question, or do you have a real tactical need?

Please, help me.

And----switching holsters from a driving rig to a carry rig? Please. Exactly when, and exactly how does one accomplish this in the real world? And why?

What does your family do while you're sitting or standing there in front of Jesus and the rest of us changing out holsters in the Wal Mart parking lot?

Perhaps I missed something.

I am not as young or as "good to go" as I used to be, yet I do have a modicum of experience in these matters. And unlike others I am ready and able to learn.

So. Help me, please.

Slow speed, high drag, but real world.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TWL

I might not have made how the Driving Holster is used clear.

I will try to explain.

First the reason. Many carry their concealed handgun on their hip, under a short, coat or vest. Seated with a seatbelt on it is near impossible to get your gun out quickly.

So the driving holster. It carries the gun in a crossdraw manner just to the side of your belt buckle in a horozontal position, allowing quick easy access.

When you need to exit the vehicle you pull the gun out of the driving holster and put it back in to your normal carry holster, then remove the driving holster off of your belt, on the one I have you can do this without undoing your belt.

The Ross that I have is made for revolvers and semi-autos.

Also if you carry a big gun some of these vehicle seats can press the gun into you back causing discomfort on a long drive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
TWL

I might not have made how the Driving Holster is used clear.

I will try to explain.

First the reason. Many carry their concealed handgun on their hip, under a short, coat or vest. Seated with a seatbelt on it is near impossible to get your gun out quickly.

So the driving holster. It carries the gun in a crossdraw manner just to the side of your belt buckle in a horozontal position, allowing quick easy access.

When you need to exit the vehicle you pull the gun out of the driving holster and put it back in to your normal carry holster, then remove the driving holster off of your belt, on the one I have you can do this without undoing your belt.

The Ross that I have is made for revolvers and semi-autos.

Also if you carry a big gun some of these vehicle seats can press the gun into you back causing discomfort on a long drive.

All true.

Andrews Custom Leather here in Florida makes one. Google them. They make good leather. I own several of their holsters and mag pouches.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.kramerleather.com/p...tID=14&categoryID=23

http://www.gunblast.com/Cumpst...dingHeavyweights.htm

The Ruger Maximum has a very long ejection rod. It catches on my holster, which was done for a 6" Seville. FA 83 does not, 7.5", because the ejection rod does not go below the bottom of the holster...

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
www.mernickle.com

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote