Find
Notify
Tools

New Sig 1911
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
Just purchased a Sig 1911 ultra compact for Personal carry purposes. Noticed that when a round is chambered, I cannot engage the safety unless the hammer is cocked.

Is there N E way to carry a chambered round where I can engage the safety, WITHOUT cocking the hammer....? Sounds like a stupid question but I'm just wondering....

Posts: 609 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See my answer in pistol shooting

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1911 is a single action handgun. When the hammer is down/forward the sear is not engaged but is released. The thumb safety blocks the seat and the slide. When the hammer is chocked the sear is engaged and out of the way for the thumb safety to he applied.

Posts: 10978 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1911 is a single action pistol. It is designed to be carried with a round chambered, hammer cocked and the safety engaged (aka condition 1). The hammer must be cocked to engage the safety. If you are not comfortable with this mode of carry than the 1911 is not the right platform for you. Condition 1 is a very safe way to carry this style of pistol.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Eagle Dad said. The 1911 is one of the safest pistols with the slide safety and the grip safety. Cocked and locked the John Browning designed it.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Very clear and specific information! Thank you for the post. This makes me feel a lot better about carrying. I like what I hear!!

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle Dad:
The 1911 is a single action pistol. It is designed to be carried with a round chambered, hammer cocked and the safety engaged (aka condition 1). The hammer must be cocked to engage the safety. If you are not comfortable with this mode of carry than the 1911 is not the right platform for you. Condition 1 is a very safe way to carry this style of pistol.

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information impala. I greatly appreciate the communication!

quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
Ditto what Eagle Dad said. The 1911 is one of the safest pistols with the slide safety and the grip safety. Cocked and locked the John Browning designed it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are welcome! That's the way I carry my Nighthawk.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad the info helped. Been carrying my 1911 this way for 25 years.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote