SS 44 SPL
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Don't want anything as big as the Smiths,

BUT

I want SS 44 Spl

Whats left used and new Charco (or whatever they are called now)?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I sometimes used to carry a Charter Arms Stainless Bulldog .44 Special with full hammer. I always wanted the option to have more hammer spur to grip if I wanted to lower it from full cock. I carried it with Glaser rounds. Lightweight and inexpensive. Never had to use it.

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Louis

Take a look at some of the 5 shot S&W 44 Specials.

The Night Guard 44 Special is very light and fairly compact.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'Way back when' I used to carry a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog. The older blued one, no hammer spur, round butt. Shot OK, very light and recoil could be a problem weak side if I didn't concentrate. Never had to use it.

Then the state rules changed and I switched to a S&W 3" Mod 13.

If the new Charter Arms as a good as the old ones, it should do you just fine. As usual though, I would suggest that you run several boxes of ammo through it first. Not only to establish functioning, but to get used to the idea that it will move around a bit... Big Grin

Best of luck.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one of the first Charter Arms 44 Specials.

It was OK, but as a S&W user from way back, it did just not do "it" for me...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.357 mag has pretty much the same muzzle energy as the 44 spl. -- just off the top of my head.

BG is not going to appreciate any significant difference anyway.

I have a Smith, 629, 4" bbl. in 44 mag. I carry in an open holster "in the field." It's big, but convenient for open carry outdoors.

For concealed carry, I have the J Frame, Smith Mod. 60, .357 mag. I bobbed the hammer, and Uncle Mike's "boot grips" shorten the butt.

Nice for IWB, or on a belt under a jacket. 5 shot, 158 gr. JHP.

I've tried all sorts of "big guns" for CCW -- 1911, K Frame, XD 5" Tactical . . . Too big to be practical.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the Charter Arms revolvers last month at the SHOT SHOW. They are 100% AMERICAN MADE, nice revolvers for the money. The fit and finish is much better than it was a few years ago. wuold make a nice carry gun.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info all, I may have to go with a
SP101 or such, but prefer to go with 44 SPL.

Were the Charters you handled at the shot show SS versions of the old Bulldog?

Challenge your limits

One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
The Taurus 44 special has been overlooked.

I carried a Charter Arms at one point. Thought to myself "I need to shoot this thing a bunch to get good with it" well after 100 rounds the barrel shroud came unscrewed. Got rid of it. That was 15 years ago.

Before I bought a S&W I carried a Taurus in 45 Colt. Sorry I got rid of it. Would highly recommend a 44 Taurus.

Not that I'm putting down the S&W, you can't have mine and I wouldn't trade it for a Taurus but there is nothing wrong with Taurus in the small gun.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taurus quality has come WAY up in the past couple decades.

I think the lockup on a Ruger is stronger than on a Smith. But I like the Smith -- call me nostalgic.

One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
There should be no doubt that any Ruger is stronger than any comparable S&W.

The only problem with every other gun is that it isn't a S&W! clap

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Titanium is lighter than stainless and even more corrosion resistant. I'm sure Taurus made one of these totally titanium 5 shooters in 44 Special. I know they made them in 41 mag. Mine is 45 Colt.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
Yep that's the one I had in 45 Colt, just like that. A good shooter and easy gun to carry with lots of firepower.

The only thing I didn't like was the porting. I know this makes it nicer to shoot but the 45 Colt ain't bad and the porting in a defensive situation is IMHO a liability.

If I ever find one again I will probably try and buy it porting or not. I would go for 44 Special or 45 Colt. I guess the 41 Mag loaded with "special" loads would be okay as well. I just like the big bore for a packing gun.

Still have the nice holster that I used when carrying it while hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My sister in law carries her Taurus 4" five shot 44 Mag all the time while at the deer lease.

I have shot it a little and it shoots, and handles good.

It has the ports and it is not to bad even with full power 44 Mag ammo.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
The Taurus 431 that I have shot is big, solid, heavy, AND had the SWEETEST trigger of any revolver that I have ever owned or handled.

Challenge your limits

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger GP-100 in .44 Special. Has a 3" barrel. I have the same gun in .357 (they didn't offer the .44 special when I bought mine), and it is my favorite CCW revolver. I have owned, own, S&W's, Colt's, Charter Arms, Rossi's. The Ruger is hands down, the best, IMHO.

Posts: 1648 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
a GREaT CaLIBRE in question as to maker, I have had many+ still do revolvers in this classic cal.The classis was the Charter Arms because the piece we
ighted 47 ozs.
the lightest thr mot kickback.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smith 69, which would give you option of using .44 Mags.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
True that! I got used to the Charter Arms in 1977 when we used to backpack in Big Bend where firearms were'nt allowed...B.S. not the kid.At that time the most potent weapon at the least weight was the 44 spl bulldog + believe me when you are backpacking across the desert carrying primarily water,every ounce counts.I still keep one by the "throne" along with the phone;that seems to be where you are when it is needed + somewhat indisposed.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote