New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 44 Mag, for Personal Protection, Concealed Carry
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I know that Most are not going to consider the 44 Mag as a CCH...

However I have used one as a Duty and Off Duty since 1976... Off and On.

I just have NEVER been able to carry an under 40 cal as a primary.
Never did, until I was forced to...

Good news is, that there are a lot of loads for the 44 Mag, as well as good 44 Special loads suitable for Personal Protection.

Also S&W now makes several lightweight revolvers that, while they have BAD recoil with full power 44 Mag loads, they are not bad with 44 Mag loads designed for Personal Defense, or the 44 PD Special loads...

Many times when I am "on the road" going to a hunt, or flying in, I will carry a 4" 44 Mag as my Primary...

When in the field I tend to carry a 270 to 300gr+ load if in bear country.

However, when in town, or on the road, I carry a load designed for Personal Protection, with limited penetration.

Also when working, depending on the assignment, I also would use loads that might have limited penetration.

I have used Glaser Safety Slugs [I knew Jack Cannon, I spent some time with him at his house in 1976], as well as Mag Safes, when over penetration was a Major concern...

As well as other loads specifically designed for 2 legged protection...

That is the beauty of the 44 Mag IMHO, in the fact that you can load rounds safe to shoot Hi Jackers in an airplane, or an elephant charging you....

The only negative is that a S&W 44 Mag is a large, heavy handgun for concealed carry.
It does take a DEDICATED person, that cares about his welfare, and the welfare of his loved ones, to carry one 100% of the time

But with the proper leather, belt, and clothing, you can carry one most every day...

I know, been there, doing it right now...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Lately, I have been eyeing the 329PD.

Light weight, perhaps too much so.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 329PD is not bad to shoot with Upper 44 Special, or low end 44 Mag loads.

With full power 240gr loads, it is a beast.

Actually Federal factory 300gr Cast Core are not as bad as the 240's.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I have a 3-inch Lew Horton Model 29 that has been carried plenty. It's fairly comfortable to carry in a shoulder rig. The load I mainly use is Remington's 240 grain SJHP -- you know, the bullet we have discussed ad nauseum on the handgun hunting forum.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lite weight 44 ,3-4" barrel with something like a 200 LSWCHP @ 1000 or Corbon DPX 44 special would be fine. Smiler

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture of my little monster........

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I carry one of the 3 inch 29's in nickel from the limited run several years ago. Works fine for me.

Posts: 5705 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
I caught the bug a while back after readinga little Elmer Keith. Like an idiot, I walked into my favorite shop and boldly declared I'd buy they next nice P/R N Frame they got in.

My salesman didn't even give a hint of a smile (he knew how to weave a web) and slipped a 95%+ 5" Model 27-2 out of the wood box and onto a gun rug.

That was a decade ago. Considering the price I paid for it, I don't feel like such an idiot now.But, two things things keep it from being a favorite: it's not a .44 and I still haven't found a set of grips that fit my hands or make it comfortable to carry. The Goncalo's are just awkward in my hands.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smith, Mod. 629, 4" bbl. 44 mag. Hogue grips.

This is the 'night stand' gun . . . and open carry side arm "in the field."

Not CCW. 44 Magnum is serious side arm for open carry where it's appropriate, not so hot for concealed carry day-to-day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whitworth and buckeyeshooter

If you are going to be shooting full power, or near full power 44 Mags, and still want a small package the steel 2.5 to 3" 44's are the way to go.

Dugga and mete

I have a 45 ACP Night Guard, and can say that 185, and 230, as well as 185 +P ammo is not bad to shoot. You would not want to shoot a hundred rounds in an afternoon necessarialy...

But for a PP/CC revolver it is very controlable.

I would like to have a 2 to 2.5" 44 Mag as a spare/coat pocket carry gun when I am on a Road Trip, and carrying a 44 Mag as a Primary, but just cannot make up my mind if I want an Airweight, or a steel frame gun...

I do know I really like the size and weight of the 45 ACP Night Guard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chet

I have had a few Mod 27's even an 8 & 3/8ths.

They are a great 357 Mag. Well made S&W's.

I was just never a 357 kind of guy, so I let my 357 buddies buy them...

one of us
posted Hide Post
OXO

I guess it depends on you situation, dedication,and percieved need, but the smallest Primary concealed carry gun I have ever used has been a 1911, or a 4" S&W 44 Mag..

I did carry a Mod 58 in 41 Mag a little, and a Glock 17 when I was mandated to...

I figure that when you need a handgun, you will need it BAD, so I like to have a BIG one... With lots of bullets. Big Grin

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I don't find my Lew Horton to be objectionable even with full-house loads -- maybe it's from all of the big (much bigger than a .429) handguns I shoot and hunt with that has conditioned me. The .44 is a great defensive piece -- but not for everyone.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry the federal 180 grain hp as a CCW load in town. Recoil is fine. A Short 44 mag is a long way from a short 500 recoil wise!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter: A Short 44 mag is a long way from a short 500 recoil wise!

You've got that right! Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't doubt that somewhere in this world at this very moment there's someone so paranoid about 2 legged predators that they are not only carrying a 44 mag on their hip, but one strapped in a shoulder rig, AND one duct-taped to their ankle...and still not feel safe. Glad it's not me. Shazzam...that's a lot of fear.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
And at the same time there's a guy with such a false sense of security that he is carrying a 9mm in his wasteband and a .380 in an ankle holster.........he might even have a can of pepper spray in his coat pocket....... dancing Glad that's not me......

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had the money I'd go for one of the S&W's, I was looking at them a lot a couple weeks ago. They have two in the night guard series I think, a 44special and 44mag. I think the 44special is 5rd versus 6 and is about 4 ounces lighter.

I have no idea how you could carry something that big/thick comfortable or concealed in the summer when you don't have a jacket.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some guys are built like Mama Cass and dress the same. Lots of concealment under a muumuu.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Some guys are built like Mama Cass and dress the same. Lots of concealment under a muumuu.

I'm pretty lean, actually, but if you are wearing a jacket, it presents no problems with regards to concealment. The summer time makes it a bit more challenging.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
My thoughts on the firearm for the CCW debate. An appropriate firearm for carry is the one, or two, that will be carried day in and day out, cold weather, hot weather, heavy clothes, shorts, etc

I have also learned (been reliably informed) that in the majority of cases where one may be called upon to defend oneself with lethal force the distance can be measured in feet, not yards.

I carry. My three choices, considering the clothing I will be wearing, are my Glock 27 - to be replaced by a Para Carry 9 - my S&W Airweight, and a Ruger LCP. When out and about in the forest surrounding my home, it will probably be my Cimarron Thunderer in 45 Colt.

To me the firearm one carries is not nearly as important as actually carrying one. A mini .22 in one's pocket beats hell out of a .454 Casull that is left at home.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

In the Handgun Hunting section, under the thread about the best 240gr 44 Mag loads, there is some info on lighter and heavier bulleted 44 loads in regards to recoil and where the different loads hit when fired out of a 4" and a 6 1/2" revolver.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I chronographed the same loads in my 6.5-inch 29 and my 3-inch 29, but I have to dig up the results.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whitworth

If you can dig them up and post them on the other thread, that would be some good info. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Many moons ago in a land far away (Texas) I carried a 4" Model 29 as a duty gun. I normally carried the Hornady 200gr load which was rated a bit slower than the other factory 200gr loads on the market. Muzzle flash wasn't bad and recoil was quite bearable.

I did carry two extra pair of speedloaders in my cruiser, two with Speer's 200gr howitzer load and two with Remington's 240gr softpoints for things that needed more killin' Cool

IMHO a 4" M29/629 loaded with sensible loads and decent grips is almost as easily handled as a K or L frame sized .357 Mag with normal "Magnum" loads.

I recently purchased a S&W 325 Night Guard and after replacing the grips with some smaller wooden models it's very carry-able even when just stuck IWB under an over sized T-shirt. It's also very shoot-able and probably adequate for two legged vermin if they're afoot and not traveling in packs. Smiler

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Running 240 gr. reloads, Hodgdon H110 in a max charge out of 4" bbl. 629 --

Recoil is stiff, but I don't have issues with recoil. I imagine anyone who hesitates or flinches with a stiff load should seriously think twice about carrying a 44 mag. for any sort of protection.

Because when they go boom, it's a pretty stiff shot, and loud too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the carmera near yesterday and was doing some cleaning so, here is a photo of my carry gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have carried my 5.5 inch redhawk once in a while. But normally that is reserved for areas that have bigger 4 legged critters.

For two legged ones my glock 23 makes a lot more sense.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Under a jacket, I like my 3" "Classic Carry" .44mag from Lou Horton in an El Paso Saddlery across the chest tanker holster. In warmer weather, a Sig P229...a little bulky, but feels good.

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago (before the Gov't decided that firearms were the tools of the devil) I had a 3" .44 Mag from S&W called (IIRC) the Backpacker. Sort of like a 3"Mountain Gun. The RB made it fit my smallish hands quite well. Recoil was a bit stiff with .44 Mag loads, but with reduced loads or .44 specials, it was a breeze to shoot.

If faced with the situation where I needed a .44 for carry, that would be the one I'd look for again.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:

BEWARE of the skinny guy in the Hawaiian shirt

Big Grin

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I watched miculek the other day on youtube, the guy is awesome, and he mentioned the moon clips. then I saw a s&w in 45auto (revolver) setup for moon clips on the classifieds here. so strarted looking.

Now my dreaming is about the 329 sent off and have it setup for the moon clips. I think it's 290 bucks for the one company I saw to do the milling of the cylinder, the tool to put the rounds in, strip them, and 10 moon clips. so on top of the price of a 329 it ain't cheap. but good dreams aren't. Smiler

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which shoulder & side holster's do you guy's use for the S&W 29-3inch guns?Also will 10.gr. of unique and a Horndy 240gr,XTP be a mild-mid level recoil load to start out with?Do you guys ever shoot the lead only no -gas checked bullets in the 44mag.?will these cause leading in the barrel?My local shop has the Hornady .44cal lead cowboy bullets for half the price of xtp's...but iam afraid of haveing barrel leading problems...i have zero experiance with lead only bullets..but noticed alot of shooters use them..will hard cast not lead as bad as the soft lead?

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
10.0 gr unique and a 235gr Speer non-gas check lead was my std. 44SPC. load growing up.

Works fine as a lite 44mag load, should not lead badly.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
Which shoulder & side holster's do you guy's use for the S&W 29-3inch guns?Also will 10.gr. of unique and a Horndy 240gr,XTP be a mild-mid level recoil load to start out with?Do you guys ever shoot the lead only no -gas checked bullets in the 44mag.?will these cause leading in the barrel?My local shop has the Hornady .44cal lead cowboy bullets for half the price of xtp's...but iam afraid of haveing barrel leading problems...i have zero experiance with lead only bullets..but noticed alot of shooters use them..will hard cast not lead as bad as the soft lead?

I carry mine in a bianchi 5bhl which can be worn stong side or cross draw. I carry the federal 180 grain hp at 1600 fps (according to the literature) for social occassions.

One of Us
Picture of tenmikemike
posted Hide Post
Once I found my 6-1/2" 29-2 I sent the original 6" 29-2 to the 'smith along with a 4" barrel for a transplant. I plan on using it for CCW occasionally. Of course I have been shooting .44 Mags since I was 22 ('bout 28 years now!) so recoil isn't an issue.

He said he should be done about the first week of July (that was two long months ago) so I am kind of anxious to get her back!

6-30-10 BREAKING NEWS!!-- 'smith called today; the gun is ready!! Too bad I can't pick it up before Saturday morning due to the long hours I am working.

NRA Endowment Life member

CZ 550 American 9.3 X 62 Mauser/ Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 x 36
CZ 550 Safari Classic .458 Lott

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 11 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to share like a proud papa..my new baby pics,she's a keeper hilbily

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackbearhunter

Very nice.

I used my old 6 1/2" Model 29 just today.

I had shot a couple of turtles a couple of days ago on my pond, and they had "floated up".

I took the 44 Mag out with 240gr cast SWC over 8.4gr of Unique, and "sunk" them, so they would not float to the edge and attract raccoons or buzzards.