New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W PC 41mag.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any thoughts good/bad about the concealability of this S&W PC 41mag?Anyone tried one yet?How bad is the recoil?
..41mag my favorite caliber..the local shop also had them in 44mag & 8-shot 357...nice!

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only negative thing about the 41 mag is the avialibility of different levels of factory ammo.

The 44 Mag would be a much better choice IMHO, there are several different power levels of factory loads, and you can shoot 44 Specials in it as well.

With full power loads, a "little" revolver like this will be a handful.

But with loads that are equal to a 45 ACP [185gr bullets @1000fps, to 230gr bullets @850fps], a revolver of this size is easily controlable.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recoil would be an issue,as well as muzzle blast.
But..If you shoot it alot and get use to it,I dont
see a problem as you are already shoot 41.And you
know you can never have too ammo or 41 magnum Pistols. Big Grin

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
Any thoughts good/bad about the concealability of this S&W PC 41mag?Anyone tried one yet?How bad is the recoil?
..41mag my favorite caliber..the local shop also had them in 44mag & 8-shot 357...nice!

I am a 41 Mag fan and think you have an excllent weapon in the S&W PC 41. I have a M-357PD which is a Light wieght Scandium/Titainium model and for social work I use the Buffalo Bore 170 grain JHC that clocks 1536 out of my 4" barrel.
I find the weapon to be controlable and accurate. I can shoot it accurately just as fast as I can accurately shoot my 1911. The 41 Mag's performance is a near equal to the 44 Mag with a bit less recoil

I think that you have an excellent weapon for your intended purpose. I would have opted for the 4" model because IMHO they conceal well and the added sight radius is nice to have

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks tu2 The.41mag.ROCKS hilbily tu2

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The really "killer" negative about ANY revolver in 41 Magnum? That the cases are a pain in the rear to load or eject.

I used to have both a Model 29 and a Model 57. I can absolutely tell you that using (the correct size) Dade Speedloaders that the Model 57 was almost impossible to load. But that using (the correct size) Dade Speedloaders the Model 29 was easy to load every time.

Strange. But true! And once you start to use 44 Special cases (handloaded to equate sensible 44 Magnum performance) then that Model 29 was as quick to reload as any 38 Special or 357 Magnum revolver.

If I had a 41 Magnum again - unlikely in handgun ban Britain - I would only do so if I could use a lathe or similar to cut down full length 41 Magnum cases to make a "41 Special" length case. And a set of reloading dies correspondingly to produce that ammunition.

If you are seriously thinking of ever the possibility of having to reload your pictured 41 Magnum gun quickly I would advise you to do the same!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DADE SPEEDLOADER Eeker shocker

I have not heard them mentioned in a long time...

I have one for the 44 Mag next to me as I type this...

The Dade was a good loader for the range or competition, but I never liked them for duty/serious use as it was too easy to jar the cartridges out of one of them.

I have found HKS and Safariland to be superior for serious use...

Anybody remember the old all rubber Hunt Enginering Inc. speed loaders??? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to be the UK importer for them at the time of John Fordham. Used to bring them in in $1000 a time consignments.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the HKS for my Mod. 57. Works great.

I've done a lot of handloading for both .41 and .44 mags. It is not necessary to cut down a case in order to attain .41 Special velocities. I do it all the time with Win. 231 and 215gr. lead bullets for target use.

H 110 is great for full house loads

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450, I just ran across two of the old Hunt rubber speed loaders in one of my junk boxes, gave one to a friend as he had never seen one. I haven't used one since the early 70's.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I liked to carry the Hunt loaders in my pocket, as being rubber they were "soft" and light weight.

I used one a while back and the rubber tore, fatique from old age no doubt, so I have retired them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Dade's with my Model 10 PPC gun and my L-frame IPSC pistols on the range. For serious work it will be either a Safariland or the old HKS speed loaders. They will hang on when things hit the ground that aren't supposed to.

All my revolvers that are used with speed loaders have the left grip shaved to give me extra space. Not the prettiest things but certainly serviceable.

Greg

Posts: 137 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should be easy to conceal with the right clothing and if it is needed the caliber will get your point across if you have practiced and hit where you were aiming.

Posts: 103 | Location: southern wisconsin | Registered: 12 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is not necessary to cut down a case in order to attain .41 Special velocities. I do it all the time with Win. 231 and 215gr. lead bullets for target use.

The cutting down wasn't to get reduced velocity but to get a reduced length case that was easier to load into the cylinder using a speedloader. As it increased the width of the "angle of degrees" through which the speedloader could initially be presented to the cylinder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
I use the HKS for my Mod. 57. Works great.

+1 tu2

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting comments about this caliber on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.41_Remington_Magnum

Elmer Keith wanted something between .357 and 44 mag. But I can't see how going from .429" down to .410" accomplishes much. May as well just load up a hot 44 SPL. Or 10 mm semi auto.

The article notes that this development came about before JHP bullets were readily available. JHP in .357 is pretty effective.

I traded my S&W Mod. 66 (K Frame, 6 rd.) snubby for a Mod. 60 (J Frame, 5 rd.), a smaller gun. I have a Mod. 10 heavy frame in 4" bbl. That fills the bill, and a 629, 4" in 44 mag.

We think we have it pretty well covered.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Randell:
Interesting comments about this caliber on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.41_Remington_Magnum

Elmer Keith wanted something between .357 and 44 mag. But I can't see how going from .429" down to .410" accomplishes much. May as well just load up a hot 44 SPL. Or 10 mm semi auto.

The article notes that this development came about before JHP bullets were readily available. JHP in .357 is pretty effective.

I traded my S&W Mod. 66 (K Frame, 6 rd.) snubby for a Mod. 60 (J Frame, 5 rd.), a smaller gun. I have a Mod. 10 heavy frame in 4" bbl. That fills the bill, and a 629, 4" in 44 mag.

We think we have it pretty well covered.

Good combo. I love my J frame Smith, although mine is a trail gun w/3" barrel & adjustable sights. My .44 Mag is a Ruger Alaskan, though. I've always heard that a steel N frame gets beat up a bit by the .44 when subjected to heavy use, although it'll last forever with the .41.

Also good advice. The 10mm has a lot going for it; including the fact that you can get a 15 shot Glock.

It'll do anything a .41 Rem can do, and with a single mag you can put almost as many rounds downrange as you can with a S&W revolver and a couple of speedloaders, which ain't as easy to carry.

I've never actually fired a .41 Rem. I just didn't see a place for it in my personal scheme of things. But I'm old enough to remember the Dirty Harry craze, when .44 Mags were expensive when they were available. And some people ended up buying .41 Rems instead and it turned out they really liked them. Differences of opinion are what makes the world go around. Besides, I've had cases of the just-have-to-haves and some of the things I've bought because of it may not impress someone else. Whatever floats your boat. This isn't to imply I don't think the .41 Rem is an effective cartridge. I'm sure it'll do the job.

quote:
Originally posted by GLShooter:
All my revolvers that are used with speed loaders have the left grip shaved to give me extra space. Not the prettiest things but certainly serviceable.

Greg

That's my J frame. The left grip looks like it was mauled by a rabid squirrell. I've never had an interference issue with the Ruger though.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've always heard that a steel N frame gets beat up a bit by the .44 when subjected to heavy use.

Running 240 gr. w/ max loads of HC110. The gun is tight and no evidence of erosion/cutting on the top strap, stainless 629. But then I don't use it for a lot of plinking. My "shooter" in the 44 mag. is a Ruger New SBH, stainless, 10 1/2" bbl. Along w/ a Marlin 1894 carbine.

One caliber, three guns, YAHOO! clap

Really nice looking rig, but I'd be sorely tempted to lurch toward the 8 rd. .357.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why are you planning on needing more than 6 shots.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

http://findarticles.com/p/arti...97/?tag=content;col1

The .41 Mag: if only we could do it over
Guns Magazine, April, 2005 by Clint Smith

Everybody I know including myself has one something in life that we would like to do over. Life is just that way. The firearms industry is in some vein the same. Timing is everything. The correct product at the correct time can be boon or bane. The .41 Magnum cartridge may be a perfect example.

Cartridge History

Introduced in the mid '60s, the .41 Magnum was considered by some to be the optimum self-defense cartridge and load for American law enforcement. Historically, it can be traced to a wildcat cartridge called the .400 Eimer, which was on the drawing boards as early as the 1920s. In its initial introduction the .41 Smith & Wesson Magnum was brought out in 1963-64 mated to the Smith & Wesson Model 57. The Model 57 was a large, adjustable-sighted, six-shot N-frame revolver. Shortly afterwards the factory folks at Smith & Wesson introduced a beefed-up Model 10-style fixed-sight version numbered the Model 58.

Concept and Purpose

The .38 Special was for many years a pretty universal cartridge for the law enforcement community, often with dismal results. It failures are well noted and early attempts such as the 200-grain .38-44 Super Police load still did not bring the .38 to acceptable standards of stopping power. The .357 Magnum was the upgraded version of the .38, but even in this mode it still lacked cross-sectional density, which is always helpful in a fighting handgun cartridge. The .44 Magnum was in fact too much gun for general police use and the closest it came to solving the problem was the Remington 240-grain mid-range load. The shooter of these mid-range loads still needed to be attentive because the recoil for the sane was still a handful. The .41 Magnum gave better cross sectional density than the .38 Special and the bullet weight at 210 grains could be an attention getter on the misbehaving.

Unfortunately at its introduction the .41 Magnum received mediocre support from the big-named shooters of the era who were supporting pet projects of their own. Bill Jordan was fostering the Model 19 .357 Magnum and Elmer Keith plugging the Model 29 .44 Magnum. Yesson The .41 Magnum took a 57 (it's OK back seat in the industry. In red-sight addition, two other key ingredients helped seal its law enforcement fate, politics and ammunition.

What's in A Name?

The political correctness of the '60s and '70s was one of those you almost had to see to believe. The Vietnam War was in full swing and the fruits and nuts were proving that the country doesn't always run on democracy, but was in fact being converted to the principle of the squeaking wheel--actually the loudest squeaking wheel--gets the oil, deserving or not. At issue was the word Magnum, which was roll stamped on the barrel. The issue was so intense that the City of San Antonio, Texas, for example, actually bought the guns but went through a load of sheer nonsense trying to get the barrels roll stamped with options such as .41 SAPD, or .41 Police or .41 Special. The then Chief of Police was adamant he would not accept the nomenclature .41 Magnum, as it was in his opinion not politically correct or acceptable. To show how subtle issues can affect history here is an example.

Bill McLennan, a now retired 30-year veteran SAPD officer who was on the equipment committee states, "We issued the Remington 210 lead semiwadcutter amino. The Chief would not accept the name .41 Magnum but we sold him on nomenclature of .41 Police.

"Smith and Wesson declared they would stamp anything on the barrel we wanted if we ordered over 200 guns. We selected .41 Police but a finance guy at City Hall nixed the $50 charge for the roll stamp that was required for that designation."

That ended that part of the story. In 1974 the San Antonio Police Department issued 400 Model 58s with a 4" barrel, blue finish and the smaller magna-style grips. The barrel was stamped .41 Magnum and the die was cast.

What's in A Load?

Two factory loadings were available. The barnburner was the 210-grain jacketed soft-point, which ran the gates at a smoking 1,500 feet per second declared and a probably true 1,400 fps. It was--and is--too much load for the average shooter and the police community has many average shooters. The second load was a 210 lead semiwadcutter cruising across the chronograph at a nominal 1,150 fps declared. In reality, it was probably closer to 900 fps. It was plenty of load with plenty of projectile for the average shooter, and probably on the verge of too much. I think that one of the key ingredients in the failure of the .41 Magnum was the unclear boundary between the two loads. Had the .41 Magnum been loaded to a nominal 850 to 900 fps with a 210-grain LSW from the get go, I believe it would have been force to be reckoned with.

What's in An Opinion?

During this time SAPD contacted the experts of the time and this is what they said of this issue.

Bill Jordan said, "Go to the Model 19 and train with .38s and issue .357s for duty. A group of officers so far out of training as SAPD has no business with .41- or .44-caliber pistols."

Elmer Keith advised go to .44s.

Jeff Cooper recommended the 1911 and did not understand why SAPD didn't go with that pistol even though the Chief of Police mandated a revolver.

Charlie Askins recommended staying with the .38, saying it was easier to train with. George Nonte recommended the 9mm. So there was a consensus--no one agreed.

As a point of interest, the SAPD .41 Magnums lasted until 1980 when they were replaced by the .38 Special.

The .41 Magnum Today

The .41 Magnum is alive today and holds a strong following in small enclaves. I personally like the caliber and just successfully completed a three-day defensive handgun course using a 4" nickel-plated Smith & Wesson Model 57 revolver in a class filled with semiautomatic handguns. Using HKS speed loaders, I at no time felt outgunned or behind the power curve. As an interesting note I shot several strings of fire during the course with full house .41 Magnums and it caused quite stir.

Seems many of the folks thought a cannon had been brought on the firing line. Many of today's shooters only know semiautomatics of 9mm and .40 caliber and in all candor are intrigued by the boom and bullets of the big bore revolving handguns.

Handloading, using quality 215-grain semiwadcutter bullets made by Laser Cast Products and pushed by WW231 powder, I am sending the Silver Bullets downrange at a nominal 900 fps with excellent results. I took the .41 Mag hunting this year for Texas deer and the cartridge performed more than well enough to fill the freezer with venison.

I have been in the wrong place at the wrong time on a couple of occasions in my life. At my advanced age knowing there are no do-overs, I have no qualms about defending myself or my family with the Smith & Wesson .41 Magnum cartridge. I can pay the revolver and caliber no higher compliment.

More Articles of Interest

* .41 Magnum Revolver
* Mexican Carry
* The .41 Magnum
* The .40 somethings: often compared to one another, the cruiserweight .41...
* The Wildcat .41 Special

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
Any thoughts good/bad about the concealability of this S&W PC 41mag?

Here's my thought:

Why would this 41 mag snubby be any more or less concealable than any other caliber snubby with exposed hammer and adjustable sights?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
Why are you planning on needing more than 6 shots.

Sometimes trouble comes in large quantities.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I bought an M57 as my first handgun ... about 1967. Still have it and still hunt with it.

Some years later I bought a special edition commissioned by Horton if I remember correctly. Is a 3" round but N frame 41 mag with adjustable sights.

I use it as a concealed carry gun when hunting. Works nicely.

I haven't the faintest how it compares to the PC you're looking at ... but I can tell you that my 41 Mag belly gun is a bit brisk with 210 gr Factory SPs (which I consider to be excellent hunting ammo). You'll enjoy the shorty I'm sure!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote