Find
Notify
Tools

First time Glock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Whilst a hunting license in Germany allows you unlimited rifles and shotguns and combination guns, it only allows you 2 handguns and these have to be preapproved by the local police firearms unit - unlike rifles and shotguns which you can buy over the counter.

I have a small S&W .38 which a friend convinced me to buy for small money, which I sometimes carry when hunting pigs.

One of our hunting group is retiring from hunting and I have picked up his Glock 19 Gen 3 for USD 150/-

Registered at the police within 4 days and off to the range tomorrow afternoon!

Never owned a pistol before, used many but first time owning one.

Every review I have read and watched on the Gen 3 seems pretty good. Will see for myself now.

Happy days!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2259 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gen 3 glocks work well

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Spent some time at the range - 10 mags x 5 rounds, targets at 25 m (standard range in most German clubs), pretty accurate and easy to shoot.

Happy days!

Posts: 2259 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My G19 will eat anything I feed it. I have intentionally mixed the rounds in the magazine and it just spits them out. I forget which Gen mine is - I think 3rd, but can't recall.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own and have shot Glocks since the 80's.

I was a armorer for a 500 man department that used Glocks when I left.

They are good handguns.

But any of the Major manufactures out there make good handguns.

But with any thing made on a assembly line a small percentage come through with problems.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

p dog shooter - thanks for sharing that info. Here in Germany / Europe carry is forbidden so the Glock that I have now got will serve 2 purposes -

1/ as a follow up on wounded pigs when hunting at night and if necessary to follow a blood trail with my dog after a wounded pig

2/ for driven pig hunts in winter - again if a wounded pig / deer or if the dogs bay up a pig. I don't like carrying a rifle when going with the dogs as it just gets caught on all the brush and trees et cetera. Hence I decided for a handgun and then the chance came up to buy the Glock 19 Gen 3!

Will see how things go!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
2/ for driven pig hunts in winter - again if a wounded pig / deer or if the dogs bay up a pig. I don't like carrying a rifle when going with the dogs as it just gets caught on all the brush and trees et cetera. Hence I decided for a handgun and then the chance came up to buy the Glock 19 Gen 3!

I have followed up wounded and non wounded bears in very thick brush, swamps ect. While a pack of hounds have had them bayed.

I have found that a 41 or 44 mag revolver Works well.

Gets the adrenaline running for sure. When ones gets within muzzle touching distance. To place the shot so one doesn't endanger the hounds.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gets the adrenaline running for sure. When ones gets within muzzle touching distance. To place the shot so one doesn't endanger the hounds.

Exactly! Agree with you on the 40 mags but have gone with the 9 mill as it will cover my bases on driven boar and deer here in Germany plus easy ammo and easy at the range!