New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt series 70 vs series 80
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which is the best pick & why if you have a choice between the Colt 1911 government series 70 or the newer series 80 both nib & the same price?
Will parts & clips..etc. interchange?

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 70 series will have a bit better workmanship, much better trigger etc. mags etc will interchange. in general the 70 series will be more dollars than the 80

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The 80's series has an extra parts to stop an accidental discharge. Don't remember exactly what all they added. I can tell you a 70 series has a much better trigger pull. I only own 70's style variations.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At the same price, without doubt, the 70 series.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
The 80 series has a plunger and firing pin block that keeps the pin from striking the round if droped on the muzzle. The 70 series has a better trigger pull than the 80 because of the extra moving piece. How much better depends on the gun itself. Most parts are interchangable, except for the specific trigger parts. I'd handle them both if they were in front of me. Knee jerk I'd pick the 70.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both and carry the 80 with a good makeover because I like the added safety feature. Practice with either and you'll become proficient.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote